What's new

Team USA

The trick is to lay a very sticky rubber ice & water shield membrane underlayment first. Once the nail penetrates the shingle ans. the sticky rubber compresses with the and surrounds the nail and tightens it for almost forever and hence no water penetration for as long as the rubber lasts. which is much monger than the shingle itself believe or not. The rubber is not very bio gradable. It's a great system.

Not sure I like the idea of a 6 inch 3/4 bolt going into a 2x10 rafter...that's a lot of material removed for something holding up your snow covered roof. You better get it right on center.

Plus did you see this.

Last edited:
View attachment 938054
So I sat in a Lucid Air on display. Not bad.
The driver's seat is low to the ground. You fall into the seats. You have to duck through the door frame.
Not sure how they are hiding the battery under the floor since you are so low.

View attachment 938056
You can see how tall she is to this car
The interior could have been given more justice for the price - I nearly leased one before seeing poor plastic. At the end, sit in a S-class and the difference shows up.

Love the drive and performance but need the assurance it is money well spent.

I tend to have same reaction as you do, I just scrunch my face up a bit for the drops.... that feeling of a drop is darn uncomfortable lol....but I wouldnt know without the camera taking a pic they have for these rides.

Yeah man, that caster where it locks the coaster wheels to pull it up to the highest point, the longer the tow mount, the longer the drop, the subsequent vertical drop was practically VERTICAL and that's when I knew I was in MAJOR trouble lol. Epically when I'm not used to this kind of thing. NEVER AGAIN!

Last edited:
Yeah its a real labour of passion these kind of things.

Years ago I made chess pieces on CNC at work, because the technicians had finished well ahead of time....and I had time booked that had become surplus at the end and bunch of aluminium and brass stock left.

It went much like this (though I only made pieces like in 2nd half of vid here and not a board):

I gifted that set I made to a good friend who appreciates such things....it sits in his man cave and I play him and others (his wife is very good at chess) when we hang out there heh.

I plan to make another chess set with wood sometime. I have a wood lathe, bandsaw and everything else I need.... things I use for more mundane fairly quickly accomplished wood items.

Chess set will use up lot of time in comparison as its all manual compared to CNC heh....I'll probably take it in steps. Great thing with wood is its material you can work with so easily using handtools, sandpaper etc while its still on the chuck.

But doing everything organically by hand like you do is true art so I can only imagine the passion and commitment it takes. 600 hours or any number disguises a lot of the real sweat and toil behind it.

I watched your CNC machine executuion of the chess pieces twice already as I love that stuff and what beautiful and original pieces you greated, Chute. VERY WELL DONE, my friend and very precise and final products unmatched! Outstanding work!

You know what's on my bucket list? One of these Christ Craft mahogany boats!!!!!!!! I've been wanting to build one of these after boating for 40 years and woodworking for the same amount of time the two are destined to collide someday. But this will be a BEAR of a project. Hope it happens sometime, just need $800,000 kicking around with nothing to be spent on LOL!

What beauties, though, ey?

1689400637500.png

Check out that taper at the transom quarters LOL! What a beaut!

1689400689036.png

1689400725014.png
1689400758321.png

The taper at the transom has to be the most difficult thing to do. Plus you need to steam the hardwood mahogany to get that transom blend, not to mention all the rest of the accessories to make it work. Probably a bucket list that will fall short lmaoooo. :D

I watched your CNC machine executuion of the chess pieces twice already as I love that stuff and what beautiful and original pieces you greated, Chute. VERY WELL DONE, my friend and very precise and final products unmatched! Outstanding work!

You know what's on my bucket list? One of these Christ Craft mahogany boats!!!!!!!! I've been wanting to build one of these after boating for 40 years and woodworking for the same amount of time the two are destined to collide someday. But this will be a BEAR of a project. Hope it happens sometime, just need $800,000 kicking around with nothing to be spent on LOL!

What beauties, though, ey?

View attachment 939027

Check out that taper at the transom quarters LOL! What a beaut!

View attachment 939028
View attachment 939029View attachment 939030

The taper at the transom has to be the most difficult thing to do. Plus you need to steam the hardwood mahogany to get that transom blend, not to mention all the rest of the accessories to make it work. Probably a bucket list that will fall short lmaoooo. :D

Cmon man you know this is just going to end up a leakfest fight with expansion/contraction. Those fiberglass boats while not the greatest material are pretty much one piece…which solves a lot of problems.

Last edited:

How Howard Cosell helped bring nachos to the world​

fd-bevbites-5_9_00.jpg

Delicious, cheese-drenched nachos are now inextricably linked to the sports world, providing a crunchy, salty, gooey snack to people watching games in stadiums and on couches around the country. But the treats, believed to have been invented by Ignacio “Nacho” Anaya in a town on Mexican side of the Texas border in 1943, owe their popularity in part to legendary broadcaster Howard Cosell.

Nachos caught on in Texas in the decades following Anaya’s inspiration and were sold at Texas Rangers games in Arlington Stadium by 1973, according to Smithsonian Magazine. After concessionaire Frank Liberto developed a formula for cheese sauce that made it faster to distribute and easier to store, nachos became available at Cowboys games in 1978.

Then, one fateful Monday night, someone thought to serve nachos to Howard Cosell. The rest is history:

Cosell, a household name for football fans, sat alongside Frank Gifford and Don Meredith giving viewers the play-by-play, when a plate of nachos was brought to the broadcast room.
“Cosell was trying to take up some dead air and he says ‘They brought us this new snack—what do they call them? knock-o’s or nachos?’” recalls (Frank’s son Tony) Liberto. “He started using the word ‘nachos’ in the description of plays: ‘Did you see that run? That was a nacho run!’”
Cosell and others used the word for weeks after, allowing nachos to branch out from their Texas birthplace.
You don’t become a broadcaster of Cosell’s stature without outstanding powers of observation. So maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that back in 1978, Cosell had the good sense to realize how incredible nachos are before most of the country ever could. And now we all get to eat nachos.

Cmon man you know this is just going to end up a leakfest fight with expansion/contraction. Those fiberglass boats while not the greatest material are pretty much one piece…which solves a lot of problems.

Indeed, but the process and the first ride out is worth all the aggravation of pulling such a project off. But I doubt it will happen since the old health is deteriorating fast with each passing year and the cost of such a glamorous project is more than likely way beyond any available budget lol. It's nice to dream a bit, though, and you are totally right about the concept of fiberglass being much more leak-proof, especially when you have not just one functioning sump pump, but a backup one too since water inevitably gets into the bilge no matter how tight the boat is built.

1690162503229.jpeg

Wow can the rainbow bridge between Canada and the US be more obnoxious? There’s a turnstile that requires 4 quarters. Yes there are machines to the right that apparently make change but in this day and age of nobody carrying cash this is pretty archaic.

1690162863883.jpeg

Even parking meters these days take credit cards and this turnstile can’t??

I think this is just so people don’t run back and forth all day like an amusement park ride.

Edit:
Just went through it a second time and there was a line of people doing a WTF is this stupid sh*t?

Last edited:
hmm another story about our favorite city to hate @Gomig-21

Elimination of parking minimums has turned into a good deal for development in Cambridge​

The Board of Zoning Appeals unanimously approved an 18-unit East Cambridge condominium recently that includes four affordable units. The project was also endorsed by the East Cambridge Planning Team – the neighborhood organization that pays close attention to development. The site is currently occupied by a Dunkin’ Donuts’ and a large parking lot at Monsignor O’Brien Highway and Third Street.

This development is possible thanks only to the zoning reform passed by the City Council last October. It ended the long-standing rule of one parking space for each unit of housing. Cambridge is among a wave of cities across North America ending 1950s-era car-centric mandatory parking requirements. This frees the space previously required for parking for more housing and open space. More homes will be available for Cambridge families at a lower cost per unit with more trees.

Before the council lifted the parking requirement, the same developer had proposed a project for this site. The first proposal complied with 2022 zoning regulations. It was for three duplexes with six parking spaces and 1,900 square feet of open space. Thanks to the zoning reform, the revised project adds 12 more homes, including the four affordable units, and 600 more square feet of open space (a 31 percent increase!).

But where will these families park? Of the 18 households, about 12 will own cars, according to Community Development Department statistics. They will have options – they can pay for a reserved parking space in a nearby garage or use publicly subsidized free parking (also known as on-street parking). Some may choose to use a combination of public transport, biking and occasional car-sharing options instead of owning a car. The Lechmere T stop and a grocery store are only a three-minute and a six-minute walk. Our ever-increasing bike infrastructure is giving many more safe alternatives.

Not only does this project give more families access to the benefits of living in Cambridge and chips away at the 21,000-plus Can’t Wait List, but creating more homes near transit is also an important part of Cambridge keeping its place as a climate leader.

A trade of 12 homes for six parking spaces is a good deal. When a third of those homes are affordable, it’s even better!

So after reading the above I want to strangle the author...for being a ruin-er of cities.

Let's just look at the picture to give an idea of why the law was passed in the first place.
CambridgeSage+Blog+Images+%281%29.png

So what we have here is the typical problem in old US cities. Housing with no on-site parking. This means people compete with each other to find a spot on-street. This can be one of the most exasperating and frustrating aspects of living in the city. To mitigate this ever increasing issue cities passed laws saying if you are going to create new housing please please please make sure there is at least one parking spot on site per unit so the street parking situation doesn't get worse. Plus crowded on street parking is just ugly,

Now the idiot above is all happy this minimum requirement has been waived.

Last edited:
Now the idiot above is all happy this minimum requirement has been waived.

Crazy, bro. And talk about a vicious cycle with the housing vs parking balance/requirement. Obviously they housing requirements are much more important than parking ones, but a balance is necessary as both will grow at a steady pace and not necessarily see any declining in one or the other. Certainly not a housing one and as far as parking, it's always been crazy. I remember when the condo boom brought in the new reality of paying an entire house mortgage for a single car parking spot! So people not only had to pay the crazy costs of purchasing a condo, but an additional mortgage to pay for a $180K parking spot. This was back in the mid-80's I'm sure it's much more now.

Crazy, bro. And talk about a vicious cycle with the housing vs parking balance/requirement. Obviously they housing requirements are much more important than parking ones, but a balance is necessary as both will grow at a steady pace and not necessarily see any declining in one or the other. Certainly not a housing one and as far as parking, it's always been crazy. I remember when the condo boom brought in the new reality of paying an entire house mortgage for a single car parking spot! So people not only had to pay the crazy costs of purchasing a condo, but an additional mortgage to pay for a $180K parking spot. This was back in the mid-80's I'm sure it's much more now.

Yah (really high) parking spot price is essentially how Hong Kong has kept car ownership low and public transport high...given the land premium.

I would imagine same kind of thing in Tokyo and lot of other East Asian cities. Singapore does it through COE (essentially a large lottery + tax) on the car acquisition itself (and mandatory scrapping after 10 years iirc).

North America basically achieves same phenomenon only in specific parts of some cities where the premium/scarcity is achieved.... given the expanse of land still available for the car model to persevere relative to public transport model.

Europe is something in between (North America and East Asia) overall.

@Gomig-21 @Hamartia Antidote

He's starting a really interesting manufacturing series that you might be interested in keeping tabs on (rest of his channel so far is really worth checking out over your spare time if you havent yet):

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom