What's new

Team USA

Chicago 100 years ago, 1920's.

Utah 1940's

California 1940's..very nice quality

Nice - i came across these videos several weeks ago on my own(!!!!!) - it is fantastic to see how the USA / UK / Europe was in the last 18th/early 19th century - very strage to see videos from 1905 or earlier etc as there was with far "more modern" activity than i was expecting. Colorising these films makes them very real.

My favourite is this vido as i personally walked the entire length of this road when i went to San Francisco and to see how it was then versus what it was like when i walked down it !!!

Favourite :

Some others i have bookmarked :

Additional :

How's everybody doing in this unprecedented Snow storm ? Need some warm hugs ? :P

My favourite is this vido as i personally walked the entire length of this road when i went to San Francisco and to see how it was then versus what it was like when i walked down it !!!

Favourite :

One thing that should be noted is that this is 1906...two years before the Ford Model T's release...yet there are plenty of cars around. This notion that cars were not common before the Model T is simply not true. From the video you can see it is already approaching 50% of the street traffic in San Francisco. Also note obviously this video was taken before the Great San Francisco earthquake of 1906 that destroyed 80% of the city.

1920px-Post-and-Grant-Avenue-Look.jpg

The-Great-Quake-Blog-Featured-Image.jpg

1906 Market Street after the quake/fire.

Also you can see in 1911 New York City was already covered with tallish buildings..not later in the 1930's when the Empire State building was put up.

Nice - i came across these videos several weeks ago on my own(!!!!!) - it is fantastic to see how the USA / UK / Europe was in the last 18th/early 19th century - very strage to see videos from 1905 or earlier etc as there was with far "more modern" activity than i was expecting.

One of the reasons I post these videos is because they can reveal alot...and can quickly clear up many misconceptions.

Last edited:
So far just cold..no snow.
which State are you in ? Here in Florida we got cold chills, enough to bother this Karachiate. I am still enjoying this sudden drop in temp but seeing the videos from other states, its scary how cars are sliding uncontrollably on the roads due to Black ice.

which State are you in ? Here in Florida we got cold chills, enough to bother this Karachiate. I am still enjoying this sudden drop in temp but seeing the videos from other states, its scary how cars are sliding uncontrollably on the roads due to Black ice.

Massachusetts. So far no precipitation. Streets dry.

1967 Philco-Ford Future Prediction.

Home Computers (note the flatscreen monitors). Printers, online shopping, online banking, email, computer games, microwave ovens.

Last edited:
What a legacy. RIP Barbara Walters and thank you!

Barbara Walters, who shattered the glass ceiling and became a dominant force in an industry once dominated by men, has died. She was 93

See Barbara Walters’ most memorable moments

20/20 Fidel Castro interview - Barbara Walters

Some retail chains Americans would be surprised knowing they have such a large international presence

IHOP (US: /ˈaɪ.hɒp/ EYE-hop; acronym for International House of Pancakes) is an American multinational pancake house restaurant chain that specializes in American breakfast foods. It is owned by Dine Brands Global—a company formed after IHOP's purchase of Applebee's, with 99% of the restaurants run by independent franchisees.

While IHOP's focus is on breakfast foods, it also offers a menu of lunch and dinner items. The company has 1,841 locations in the Americas (United States, Canada, Mexico, Peru, Ecuador and Guatemala), the Middle East (United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Qatar) and the South Asian Subcontinent (India and Pakistan), including 161 that are owned by area licensees and 1,680 that are franchised.[2][3] While many of its locations are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the chain's minimum operating hours are 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

ihop.png

Hero pilot who shot down at least FOUR Russian Migs in classified dogfight in 1952 to receive the Navy Cross: Captain took on seven jets alone and was shot 263 times - but was ordered not to tell anyone for fear of sparking war
Capt. Royce Williams was sworn to secrecy for more than 50 years over fears that his battle against seven Soviet fighters could spark war with Russia
Now the 97-year-old is free to tell his tale and is due to receive the Navy's second highest award for combat valor on Friday at the San Diego Air & Space Museum
In a ferocious dogfight, Williams downed at least four Migs despite his jet being so badly wounded he considered bailing out into almost certain death

Back
Top Bottom