What's new

Taliban warns of 'big war' if Pak attacks N Waziristan

"revenge like camel"

I read a story once where a camel driver kicked a camel from behind and, days later, when the man was in front of the camel bending over, the camel kicked him back. Is that what you mean?

I'm not shooting from the hip. Read "Ghost Wars" by Steve Coll for an in-depth history. It is from Coll's history of the pre-9/11 conflicts in Afghanistan that I derive my rankings.

I have read it. I don't think Coll has the credibility of a Sec. of State who was actually part of the process of funding groups in Afghanistan as bait for the Soviet invasion. Personally, I also found him to be quite biased in his account. There are many who have been intimately involved in Afghanistan's unfortunate affairs over the past 30 years that would disagree with his assessments.

But coming to the point, you didn't actually address your Sec. of State's interview and his explanation of how the US encouraged and helped create the conditions for the Soviet invasion. Perhaps you will acknowledge that using another country as bait and knowingly sacrificing its people/stability to achieve your own ends (create a "Vietnam" for the Soviets) would be considered pretty damnable. Not exactly the banner song from the Champions of Freedom and Democracy greatest hits collection.

But anyway... this really is a pointless debate. I am just trying to point out that there is hard evidence out there from the highest levels of your government that US involvement in Afghanistan has been quite questionable and harmful... more so than what is commonly known or acknowledged. Ultimately, history will work itself out. The Afghans have been here for thousands of years and are not going anywhere anytime soon. Neither are the Pakistanis. US presence is a very recent phenomenon. Let's see how history will look back on it a few decades or centuries hence.

That will be the last war they will ever fight..!!! Ofcourse there will be martyrs but their sacrifice will be treated in the highest esteem as it is the sacrifice for a foundation of terror free world..!!! I salute those guys fighting these militants..!!!I hope pakistan become a hero in every indian's eyes by clearly taking step against india based militants too.. i think the chargesheet filed against 26/11 is one good step towards that..!!!

In a sense, this is good news, for the bigger the war the bigger the victory, and it's a battle the P.A. would be sure to win. On the other hand, the announcement also implies that the Taliban strategy will be to create refugees, hide among them, and run away from Pakistan to seek shelter in Afghanistan until a brighter day for their cause shines again. Don't the Pashtuns have a tradition of giving sanctuary to those who ask, even their enemies?
Brilliantly identified...

It's something Nato should be considering. IF they are allowed to regroup in Afghanistan and then return during the next winter, all would be for nothing.

How can the Taliban be prevented from regrouping if they remain nonviolent while in Afghanistan and aren't wanted for any criminal acts there? Do Pakistan and Afghanistan have a mutual extradition treaty?

Back
Top Bottom