What's new

Taliban kidnap 29 Pakistani police and FC

The rest of the hysterical war-mongering was done by Pakistan by

1. Falsely claiming that indian jets had entered Pakistani airspace
2. Redeploying its troops to the Indian border
3. Parading around its airforce jets over major cities in order to further increase tensions

this is the only thing i dont agree with you. the hysteria created by the indian media = "nuff said"

please dont insult our intelligence!

The rest of the hysterical war-mongering was done by Pakistan by

1. Falsely claiming that indian jets had entered Pakistani airspace
2. Redeploying its troops to the Indian border
3. Parading around its airforce jets over major cities in order to further increase tensions

this is the only thing i dont agree with you. the hysteria created by the indian media = "nuff said"

please dont insult our intelligence!

And the Pakistani media? I suppose they were trying to play down the tensions?

I do agree that sections of the Indian media were very aggressive (I mentioned it in the previous post). But what I'm talking about, is the response of the governments, not the media.

And the Pakistani media? I suppose they were trying to play down the tensions?

I do agree that sections of the Indian media were very aggressive (I mentioned it in the previous post). But what I'm talking about, is the response of the governments, not the media.

The GoP remained diplomatic and continued to push cooperation. It was only when the situation from the Indian side started getting really hysterical (Leave canceled, units moved to forward positions etc.) that you started seeing a response such as the above (and other than India's word, there is not reason that violation did not happen - Adm. Mullen as in town around that time I believe, and reportedly given evidence to that effect.).

Making clear that Pakistan would not tolerate any military aggression from India, and would respond in kind, was essential, to ward of the Indians by both making our military intent clear as well as bringing international pressure to bear on her.

Despite the violations and raising of tensions by India, the GoP continued to speak of diplomacy, engagement and cooperation, while the hysteria from India just got worse.

The GoI is the only entity to blame here - every thing the GoP did was in response.

The GoP remained diplomatic and continued to push cooperation. It was only when the situation from the Indian side started getting really hysterical (Leave canceled, units moved to forward positions etc.) that you started seeing a response such as the above (and other than India's word, there is not reason that violation did not happen - Adm. Mullen as in town around that time I believe, and reportedly given evidence to that effect.).

I clearly remember, Agno, and don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong, that the first bit of news about troop movements came from Pakistan. That was after Pranab Mukherjee's "all options are open" comment on NDTV, which was misinteerpreted by all parties as an indication that India was about to launch an attack.
The news, I remember, was that Pakistani troops were being redeployed from the western border to the eastern one. Only once that happened, did reports come in the media about Indian troops leave being canceled etc.

Despite the violations and raising of tensions by India, the GoP continued to speak of diplomacy, engagement and cooperation, while the hysteria from India just got worse.

That is only partly true, because on the other hand the GOP was denying that the terrorists had links to Pakistan in the face of facts indicating the contrary.

Who are you kidding Flintlock, there is no Ambiguity about the statement that says 'all options are open'. Your PM threatened us, said we'd 'pay a heavy price'. Your media was inching for war and your forward air bases were activated. Sources close to the Indian military have even said that the Air Force and Navy were enthusiastic about operations against Pakistan and 'pay-back' but it was the Indian Army that backed down due to inadequate equipment, etc and fear of counter-attacks. Everything from stalling the peace process to accusing the GoP of being involved publicly was done from the Indian side, and I’m not even counting the blatant airspace violation provocations.

Who are you kidding Flintlock, there is no Ambiguity about the statement that says 'all options are open'.

There is, and Mukherjee had said as much in a later interview.

Your PM threatened us, said we'd 'pay a heavy price'.

Is this what you are referring to?

India's prime minister says the perpetrator and supporters of the terror attacks on Mumbai will pay a heavy price.

India: Mumbai Attackers and Supporters Will Pay Heavy Price

How is that a military threat?

Your media was inching for war and your forward air bases were activated.

India's foreign minister insisted it had done nothing to escalate tensions in the region, while another Indian official denied a separate Pakistani allegation that New Delhi had activated forward air bases.

Pakistan: India moves troops toward shared border - International Business Times -

Sources close to the Indian military have even said that the Air Force and Navy were enthusiastic about operations against Pakistan and 'pay-back' but it was the Indian Army that backed down due to inadequate equipment, etc and fear of counter-attacks. Everything from stalling the peace process to accusing the GoP of being involved publicly was done from the Indian side, and I’m not even counting the blatant airspace violation provocations.

Erm, 'sources'? And yeah, when asked if they are ready for battle, the troops always say that they are enthusiastic and ready. But the guy who decides whether or not the troops are going for battle, is the PM in consultation with the Defence Minister, the Cabinet and the Top Bureaucratic Advisors.

The peace process had to be stalled, there is no way India could pretend that things were normal when such a heinous act originating in Pakistan had taken place.
As for accusations against Pakistan are concerned, there is good reason for that, especially the fact that the groups which attacked Mumbai were created and nurtured by the Pakistani army and the ISI, and a wealth of evidence that the Pakistani establishment still maintains a working relationship with kashmiri insurgent groups.

This proves my point. When the army commits itself, it can defeat the militants or at least drive them out. How, then, did we reach a point where 80% of Swat is under Taliban control?

Look we both agree that boots on the ground are what it takes, but you seem unwilling to actually do it. You can't deflect things by saying someone else knows best because you could say that about anything.

Think about what you're saying. You want to negotiate and make concessions to the Taliban -- a force literally around 1000 times smaller than the army -- yet stand up and be all macho to the Indians -- a force twice as large and better equipped. Either you're tough and macho and should stand up to the Taliban as well, or the whole thing is an act anyway. You don't make concessions to vastly inferior forces if you're strong.

I thought Asim summed up my answer to your post in one post, but the 'swift' part seems to have generated a fair bit of controversy so I'll respond without that.

The gist of Asim's comment is accurate - we can gain territory back from the Taliban by applying the correct resources and tactics, and we will have the support of the world behind us. An insurgency cannot literally hold onto territory and that has been shown time and time again in Pakistan. They can show their influence in other ways of course, and that is where the political solution comes in.

It is extremely unlikely that territory ceded to the Indians in conflict will ever be recovered, nor is the world community anythign to count on on this matter. The shamelessness of the world community I have already pointed out, in how it self-servingly chooses to ignore or overlook the international commitments and violations of larger more powerful nations, while sanctioning and 'invading' lesser ones. In an environment like that, Pakistan just cannot take th erisk fo losing rterritory to Indian aggression, and then waiting for the non-existent ire and pressure of the world community to be applied on India - history around the UNSC violations by India show any such hopes to be a farcical.

When the Taliban publicly announces that they will be going around burning down girls' schools... why were they not guarded?
Why did the army disarm local militias who wanted to fight the Taliban, and then abandon them? Why did the army claim that destroying a mobile FM transmitter is too difficult for it to accomplish?
As for not guarding every single school - the issue is one of numbers. Placing a dozen guards at every school is not going to cut it, when the Taliban can congregate from smaller groups into a large force of a few dozen to hundreds at short notice. This spread out troop/FC presence in FATA in the beginning a year or so ago led to a rash of such assaults on small posts throughout Waziristan, many resulting in the posts being overrun. Even here, a pretty heavily manned FC/Police post, during an operation, was overrun by a group of allegedly a few hundred.

More than just 'guards', we need properly trained and equipped troops and the proper support (logistics and rapid reinforcements) to back them up.

In any case, the sorts of number required here leads us back to the Indo-Pak debate, and I have articulated my views on that count.

Pakistan never armed the local militias in Swat AFAIK, though the idea was floated. There was strong opposition to this idea from the get go, in that it woudl lead to the creation of more armed militias down the road, and then possibly result in inter militia conflicts etc. Even the US plans to pursue such a policy are in controversy over similar concerns.

If the FM transmitter was so easy to locate, why hasn't the US sent a hellfire over courtesy Predator to take him out? I assume Mullah FM is not on 'people friendly to the US list'. Don't know why he hasn't been jammed more effectively. He was for a while, but then he mysteriously obtained more powerful transmitters and got around that, and per reports (whose veracity I cannot confirm) the PA is concerned about jamming its own communications and broadcasts by resorting to more high powered jammers. That is I am afraid the extent of my information on that issue, and I haven't gotten a clearer answer from other sources either.

As for blaming the ANP peace deals (which I agree with you were a horrible idea) you conveniently forget all the peace deals the army itself has made with the Taliban. The Waziristan Accord? How about the peace deals it made with Baitullah Mehsud at the same time as the ANP was making theirs?
I am not 'conveniently' forgetting them, you are unaware of the direction of the discourse since you choose to just jump right in and make assumptions about my positions on the issues without knowing what has been discussed in the past.

The peace deals were necessary the first time around, any nation in Pakistan's position woudl have tried them given the historical status of FATA. They didn't work out unfortunately. The second round of 'peace deals' were less wise, and lasted for an even shorter duration, but again, domestic public opinion and the rising resentment towards Musharraf necessitated the 'deals' be tried once again.

The third time around it was the PPP led government, and they had campaigned, as had most of the other party's, on an anti-Musharraf platform and painted his efforts to obtain a solution in FATA through dialog as insincere. So guess what they had to try as soon as they cam into power? More 'sincere' peace deals. The Army was on offensives in both Waziristan and Swat at that time with reasonable success in both. Surprisingly the 'peace deal' in Waziristan has held to some extent, through whatever understanding was reached. The results of the 'peace deal' in Swat are horrible, as can be seen here.

The perception of Swat being worse or the deals having failed, relative to Waziristan, is also in large part due to the fact that unlike Waziristan, there is a lot to lose here, being a settled district.

By the way, why do you think India even wants to invade Pakistan? If they wanted to punish Pakistan for some reason, they could do that without ground troops. You think they enjoy Kashmir so much they want a problem 100 times bigger?

I didn't say they plan on occupying all of Pakistan, I did argue that they would capture chunks of territory, especially along the LoC and that would be the end of it.

On why they wished to start a war, despite Pakistan's assurances of cooperation, you woudl have to ask their leadership that was throwing these tantrums.

Trying to appease them with sharia -- admitting that the government is completely powerless and chooses to submit rather than fight -- and then withdrawing troops so they can focus on India or Mullah FM or whatever wild goose chase you choose will lead to the same disasters as all of the other peace deals brokered with the Taliban. Absolutely nothing is being accomplished except Pakistan is giving in to their demands and giving them more power. All of the ground they will win in order to gain a position of strength in negotiation (as you assume the purpose is) will be lost.

What is Pakistan getting in return? Oh, I'm so sure thousands of militants will lay down their arms, just like what happened with the ANP deal you criticize! Yeah right! They will be marching around enforcing sharia however they see fit, weakening local structures even more.
The Shariah Bill was first discussed during Bhutto's time, and is part of the solution. "Appeasing them" would be to allow them to permanently put restrictions on girls education etc. So far that does not seem the case with this bill.

It is also Pakistan's prerogative as to what political solution it chooses to adopt. I believe this is an extremely viable solution, that should be extended to FATA as well. It takes away the excuses and 'cause' the insurgents have. The effort here is to bring back peace and stability, disarm as many insurgents as possible, and offer the residents education and development, and wean away those who resorted to insurgency through lack of opportunity and a 'religious cause'. Those who were in this for power or crime will not care what the GoP does, but they will be greatly weakened if the GoP implements this solution properly, and gets influential religious figures committed to non-violence on board.

So no., I do not see it as appeasement, I see it as a necessary part of the political solution that must be adopted.

There is, and Mukherjee had said as much in a later interview.

Well you can't take it back just because it back fired.

India's prime minister says the perpetrator and supporters of the terror attacks on Mumbai will pay a heavy price.

And India has repeatedly accused the GoP of being thus. It is a threat, dont pretend to be so naive. If it wasn't a military threat then what was it? We'll make horrible Bollywood movies about you?

Erm, 'sources'?

Look for Manoj Joshis article, it has everything you need. The reason the IN and IAF approved and the Army disproved these plans was because they were being considered.

The words of the Indian expert were very clear. I have it in print but won't bother quoting it, it is dated to Jan 17 and also refers to the activating of forward air bases. Look for it.

As for accusations against Pakistan are concerned, there is good reason for that, especially the fact that the groups which attacked Mumbai were created and nurtured by the Pakistani army and the ISI, and a wealth of evidence that the Pakistani establishment still maintains a working relationship with kashmiri insurgent groups.

All in your imagination ofcourse. But the point is India was iching for war, not Pakistan. Too bad it back fired eh?

I clearly remember, Agno, and don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong, that the first bit of news about troop movements came from Pakistan. That was after Pranab Mukherjee's "all options are open" comment on NDTV, which was misinteerpreted by all parties as an indication that India was about to launch an attack.
The news, I remember, was that Pakistani troops were being redeployed from the western border to the eastern one. Only once that happened, did reports come in the media about Indian troops leave being canceled etc.
I remember it as the other way around - Indian AF leave canceled etc. before any move from Pakistan's side.

In any case, PM's comment was not misinterpreted. When you say 'all options are open' that is precisely what it means, including the military option. The Bush Adminsitration was also criticized heavily for using that phrase when referring to Iran. That was a loaded phrase and PM knew that when he used it.

That is only partly true, because on the other hand the GOP was denying that the terrorists had links to Pakistan in the face of facts indicating the contrary.
What facts did India share with us at that time? Nothing.

You expected the GoP to announce instantly on the basis of media reports that Kasab was Pakistani, while screaming of war. Doesn't work that way.

one final word - somebody said somewhere that "we are stuck in our anamosities". how clear an example you can get from the above dialouge!

I am absolutely astounded by the magnitude of mental gymnastics displayed by some of the posters here who are obviously intelligent and capable of basic reasoning.

This Pakistani position of blaming India's unwarranted belligerence, aggressive posturing etc. for not being able to clamp down on the prolific domestic terrorism is nothing short of ludicrous. Furthermore, this vignette of the ever present "threat" looming over Pakistan manifesting in the form of deceitful "dramas" orchestrated by India to "discredit" Pakistan in some "game" of one oneupmanship is inherently flawed, downright delusional and in many ways comical. And to then use that as an excuse to shirk away from the primary issue which is responsible for setting off this cascade in the first place is an affront to basic intelligence.

This isn't some hypothetical cold war game between two adversaries entrenched at the border eying at each other through their respective gunsights... BOMBS ARE GOING OFF, there are endless border incursions, territorial invasions; meticulously crafted terrorist attacks with specific strategic goals orchestrated with impressive precision and shameless impunity under the banner of a border conflict but carefully aimed at key financial and cultural soft targets to derail the growing economy and make impressions upon domestic and foreign policy. And all of this is a one way flow emanating from Pakistan and culminating in India.

The completely understandable and justified reaction we see from India (the recipient of the never ending acts of terrorism and subterfuge originating from Pakistan) isn't a detractor to Pakistan's terrorism problem, but rather a direct result of it. And based on everything I am currently witnessing in terms of dialog in the academic, policymaking and diplomatic circles, this fact is now clear to virtually everyone in the international community (albeit that it has taken so long to come to this consensus is truly lamentable). Denying, deflecting and obfuscating this crystal clear issue by the Pakistani camp is reprehensible and a very poor reflection of it's leadership who presumably represent the general ethos of their nation.

One of the main reasons why the Pakistani armed forces are having such a difficult time dealing with this is because there isn't yet a clear consensus on eradicating terrorism from the Pakistani collective in its entirety. The people who are now supposedly the enemy were not too long ago clients of the state raised and supported for a common goal. Now that the Pakistani establishment is trying to "turn its back" on them on account of international pressure there is a lot of confusion. And at the core of this confusion lies the inescapable fact that there are no "good terrorists" and "bad terrorists" and there are limitations to bestowing the first title upon anyone who supposedly limits their killing to Indians.

One of the main reasons why the Pakistani armed forces are having such a difficult time dealing with this is because there isn't yet a clear consensus on eradicating terrorism from the Pakistani collective in its entirety

Another reason is what if we did took care of these terrorist? Then what will happen ?
Many people here belive that if US manages to stabalize its stronghold in Afganistan then
US will again impose heavy embargos as it did after the soviet afghan war ,on Pakistan and thus will make strong ties with India inorder to catter the Chinese Headace at the same time weakning Pakistan creating a pth for the Indians to get Kashmir as a reward for their cooperation in the big game.
So thats why there are still some good terrorists and bad terrorists.

“The idea of becoming subservient to India is abhorrent and that of cooperation with India, with the object of promoting tension with China, equally repugnant.” Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto

The people who are now supposedly the enemy were not too long ago clients of the state raised and supported for a common goal.

And this act was agian did in the service of USA by the GOV of Pakistan.

And at the core of this confusion lies the inescapable fact that there are no "good terrorists" and "bad terrorists" and there are limitations to bestowing the first title upon anyone who supposedly limits their killing to Indians

My Friend there is a proxy war going on in this reagion in which every body is participating with full enthusiasm.
Every body feels happy over the loos of its enemy.
Wether its Russian,China - West scenario
Iran - Israel scenario
or Pakistan - India scenario
All are commen to some extent.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom