What's new

T-72: Still Useful or Not For The Indian Army To Depend On

Tank Support Combat Vehicle (BMP-T)
(Modified T-72)

t72-support.jpg

The Tank Support Combat Vehicle is designed to provide support for armored formations, by engaging anti-tank teams, demolishing obstacles, engaging fortified targets in bunkers, buildings or under cover. The vehicle utilizes the T-72 chassis, mounted with turret mounted multi-purpose weapon system, comprising of twin barrel 2A42 30mm gun, machine gun and four missile launchers. Each weapon can be aimed separately, providing multi-target engagement capability. The weapons systems are operated by a commander and gunner. Both are equipped with day/night sights.

Do any one know that modernization plans for T72 strengthens Arjun's chances in IA...

Someone told me that MoD, especially Mr. Antony, was shocked to know that IA wants to upgrade T72s with a hefty budget but don't want to purchase Arjun as they think it (Arjun) not withstands their future plans.

most of the IA's T72 are completely out of shape...

IMO...
If I have to replace the engine, wheels, steering, seats, head lights etc for my 1970 model car; I will go for a brand new car by adding more funds instead of modifying that erosive piece. don't you think that???

IMO...
If I have to replace the engine, wheels, steering, seats, head lights etc for my 1970 model car; I will go for a brand new car by adding more funds instead of modifying that erosive piece. don't you think that???

but what about some 20 odd years of experience that you have in your old car?? Yes new Car would be nice thing if there is no issue of experience but otherwise you need to see other things as well...As far as i know you need a good couple of years to train your crew for any given tank....Just imagine the kind of money and time we need to invest in trainings..logictics etc and then see where the cost goes....All that for a tank who needs to be changed in next 2 decades once FMBTA becomes a reality???

Secondly if upgrading T-72 makes me safer as far as our current threat perception that IMO not a bad choice....Arjun has proven its worth and should be inducted but we need to be careful in its induction...We need to be gradual in our approach instead of bang bang...

Hi i know that israel upgrade T72 for other countrys,i think india is one of tham.
:cheers:

t 72 is still a very good tank,even if we replace them completely,it will take time,coz 1500 tanks is a big no. to be replaced,it wont be replaced with th arjuns though,coz IA wont order dat many mk 1 arjuns,i think IA will replace the older models with some of the t-90's and remaining 1000 t72's will be upgraded,i will accept an upgraded t72 any coz they r still better as a second line of defence against our potential enemies

i dont understand y on the first pages ppl r compairing t72 with AK if u compair them voth there is a huge technological gap in both tech ..even t 90 lacks some of the techs of AK..wake up frm dreams ppl because no matter how much a t72 is upgraded it still needs to be changed against PA in a conflict
thnx

i dont understand y on the first pages ppl r compairing t72 with AK if u compair them voth there is a huge technological gap in both tech ..even t 90 lacks some of the techs of AK..wake up frm dreams ppl because no matter how much a t72 is upgraded it still needs to be changed against PA in a conflict
thnx

dude i did not compared it but reporated as a threat . this isz what i posted

we will be facing AL kalid and TYPE 99 not to forget t80s which are specifiaclly upgraded as per the requirements of pakistan army and half of our tanks are night blind

dude i did not compared it but reporated as a threat . this isz what i posted

we will be facing AL kalid and TYPE 99 not to forget t80s which are specifiaclly upgraded as per the requirements of pakistan army and half of our tanks are night blind

i agree but im saying that ppl think (plz read previous posts) that upgraded t72 can easily defeat AK which ma be possible but not easy AK have faster reaction time then t series y because its fire control sys covers up for the time taken by gunner to set angle at a moving target also with its 360 degree commanders sight and hunter killer sys it can track and engage multiple targets and im talking abt AK1 not 2 or 3 ..ill say it is a potent threat to t72 and t90 in desert

AK is no god or somthing but it is not of t72 level it is a modren machine and compared to westren tanks..i havent said any thing abt the arjun cuz it is a good tank and later versions of AK will be able to counter it..but against t series of india it a formidable foe so think in this manner no what should india do ...build an indiginous light tank like al zarra or go on with t72 up grade..

AK is no god or somthing but it is not of t72 level it is a modren machine and compared to westren tanks..i havent said any thing abt the arjun cuz it is a good tank and later versions of AK will be able to counter it..but against t series of india it a formidable foe so think in this manner no what should india do ...build an indiginous light tank like al zarra or go on with t72 up grade..

this is the actual summary of this thread but not about alkaleed vs t72 bhaijaan

The T-72s galloping obsolescence is magnified by the MoDs failure to overhaul tanks on schedule: some 800 T-72s are years overdue for overhaul. Originally, each T-72 was to be overhauled twice during its service life of 32 years. But as the overhaul agencies --- the Heavy Vehicles Factory, Avadi; and 505 Army Base Workshop, Delhi --- failed to meet their overhaul targets of 70 and 50 tanks respectively, the army decided that one overhaul was good enough. And with even that schedule not implemented, a desperate MoD has approached Indian industry to play a role in overhauling the T-72 fleet.

Last edited:
this is the actual summary of this thread but not about alkaleed vs t72 bhaijaan

The T-72s galloping obsolescence is magnified by the MoDs failure to overhaul tanks on schedule: some 800 T-72s are years overdue for overhaul. Originally, each T-72 was to be overhauled twice during its service life of 32 years. But as the overhaul agencies --- the Heavy Vehicles Factory, Avadi; and 505 Army Base Workshop, Delhi --- failed to meet their overhaul targets of 70 and 50 tanks respectively, the army decided that one overhaul was good enough. And with even that schedule not implemented, a desperate MoD has approached Indian industry to play a role in overhauling the T-72 fleet.

thnx for the summary but wt im trying to say is that india shuld think abt making their medium weight MBT because their adversaries ar not only able to fight in the night but also r self relied argun is a good project once the problems r gone but its expensive and so its no and presence ll be in less . t90 another good tank but its no r only sufficent to penetrate enemy defences not to hold large areas..its t72 job to do that in heigh no so ill say dont change the chase but make a indeginous turret equvlent to al zarra it ll be less expensive and more effective..

thnx

S A B E R can you elaborate on how al khalid is better in few fields when comapred to T-90 i agree with you on the fact that t-72 is not AL KHALIDS worthy opponent,but T-90 AND ARJUN!!!! eagerly waiting for ur post
cheers

thnx for the summary but wt im trying to say is that india shuld think abt making their medium weight MBT because their adversaries ar not only able to fight in the night but also r self relied argun is a good project once the problems r gone but its expensive and so its no and presence ll be in less . t90 another good tank but its no r only sufficent to penetrate enemy defences not to hold large areas..its t72 job to do that in heigh no so ill say dont change the chase but make a indeginous turret equvlent to al zarra it ll be less expensive and more effective..
Problems with ARJUN have now long been sorted out so please dnt live withis feeling that Arjun is stuill having problmes recent trials it made the T-90 eat dust on all counts firing accuracy,mobility,speed everythinh,the most tank is PA's arsenal is T-80 ud and not AK....i hope yu agree with me on this fact...check out my posts on arjun thread i have put a good comparison of armour of both t-90 & T-80..

T-72 is nothing but JUNK. It should go to JUNKYARD or yankistore of Indian Army.

Some coward EME officers do not report about non-serviceability of T-72 tanks and other junk kept in the mechanized formations of Indian Army.

Interestingly, Indian army chief intends defeating Pakistan and China in one go by launching this junk............. it is extremely funny..........

Back
Top Bottom