What's new

T-129 Atak & Turkish Attack Helicopter Programs

I guess things are looking to move towards Atak II with Ukrainian engine! Not a bad setup
I doubt the Atak-2 would be suitable for Pakistan. We are talking about a heavier helicopter than Apache. She will have great difficulty in adapting to high altitude and hot weather conditions. In addition, fuel and maintenance costs will be much higher than the T-129. The T-129 is exactly the helicopter that fits the needs of Pakistan. We can even say that it is the only helicopter in the world.

Weren't they looking at Safran Arrano 1A engines? Maybe now is the time to strike a deal with those.

It seems like Turkey is concerned with their weapon exports being constrained by endless arms embargo by American & Western European countries so the country decides not to employ a Safran engine. Even if Turkey buys the French engine now, it takes at least 3 years to properly integrate the engine & get all testing & certification done. If Turkey is confident in their turboshaft engine in devlepoment (TS1400) why would they even bother with the French option?

Within about 5~6 years, Turkey will (allegedly) have a complete set of indigenous 1400 hp engine & matching transmission.

Last edited:
I doubt the Atak-2 would be suitable for Pakistan. We are talking about a heavier helicopter than Apache. She will have great difficulty in adapting to high altitude and hot weather conditions. In addition, fuel and maintenance costs will be much higher than the T-129. The T-129 is exactly the helicopter that fits the needs of Pakistan. We can even say that it is the only helicopter in the world.
wouldn't the engine be the same as Mi8/17? so the maintenance will accessible? Ukraine has no political issues with Pakistan.

As for heavy helo well Pakistan would face a huge armored thrust from india as they are bulking up with T90 and upgraded T72 etc. so a heavy helo can be a great barrier to it.

Yes its not going to be for high altitude which was why T129 was chosen.

It seems like Turkey is concerned with their weapon exports being constrained by endless arms embargo by American & Western European countries so the country decides not to employ a Safran engine. Even if Turkey buys the French engine now, it takes at least 3 years to properly integrate the engine & get all testing & certification done. If Turkey is confident in their turboshaft engine in devlepoment (TS1400) why would they even bother with the French option?

Within about 5~6 years, Turkey will (allegedly) have a complete set of indigenous 1400 hp engine & matching transmission.

The Safran engine was initially in the selection against the LHTEC one, so I'm sure it will take much less time than testing the TS1400 which is a totally new-made engine. The Arrano has been certified already and is fully operational. If it were in the running before, I'm sure integration and test will go much quicker than the TS1400. And it will at least give TR an ITAR-free option.

You are right. TEI CEO Dr. Mahmut Akşit stated that the engine tests to be carried out on the Gökbey helicopter will take up to 4 years. Therefore, it will take 5 years, with the most optimistic estimation, for the TS-1400 engine to be ready for the T-129 helicopter in accordance with military standards.

Thanks a lot for this post; finally a real date and not again "soon it will be"!

New version of AVCI head mounted display, seems like a bit f35 helmet to me
1616262964123.png

for comparison with old one
1616263307239.png

and i think it would end up something like this
1616263424773.png

CEO said the engine was not meant to be for attack helis. It was built for T-625 civillian helicopter..

For an attack variant some small modifications required, he added.

So now 10 more years of development?:taz:

Military engines require more than one oil pump. because it has higher maneuverability than general purpose helicopters. Since the current model was developed for the T625 Gokbey, it was not added to avoid weight issues. It is easy to adapt militarily, the problem is that the engine is not ready anyway.

Back
Top Bottom