What's new

T-129 Atak & Turkish Attack Helicopter Programs

Those aren't armour. They house ammo feed belts and electronics. Still, it would be expected that the Apache is more heavily armoured than the T129 because it's twice as heavy.

That video doesn't inspire confidence in its armour though. Small arms should not be able to penetrate the cockpit glass at all.

Side windows on almost all attack helicopters is plastic.

They are talking about the Blast Shield between pilot and gunner which seperates the compartments, no way in hell are those plastic side windows capable of stopping 50.cal nor do they have a thickness of 4.5cm.
maxresdefault.jpg

They are talking about the Blast Shield between pilot and gunner which seperates the compartments, no way in hell are those plastic side windows capable of stopping 50.cal nor do they have a thickness of 4.5cm.
maxresdefault.jpg

That would be very surprising if true. If there's a thick blast shield between gunner and pilot but the windows have no ballistic protection that's like wearing a bulletproof vest which covers your shoulders and arms but has a big hole where your heart is.

The Apache is in a weight class where it should use armoured glass. The Ka-50 has .50 cal resistant windows. The Mi-24's windows are resistant to .50 cal. The Chinese Z-10 windows are resistant to .50 cal. These choppers are all > 5 tonnes. The AH-1 Cobra, on the other hand, is in the light attack category and is half the weight of the Apache, and its windows are plexiglass and not armoured. It doesn't have a blast shield either. It's the same for the A-129 which is even lighter.

I don't know if the Taiwanese Apache in that picture uses non-armoured windows or if all Apaches' windows are unarmoured, but if you're right, it's a pretty silly design decision. It would explain all the issues Apaches have had with small arms fire damage in the 2003 Iraq war among others.

A Moroccan defence Strategy Paper mentoin the Intention to aquire T-129 and possible Cooperation on T-129 ATAK, Cirit, Mizrak and SOM in order to aquire basic Tech for built up of an Defence Indstry !

T129_maroc.JPG

Translation:

To conclude this section, we find that the helicopter component of combat,
remains the weak link that FRA continue to press this point on SA342
Small gazelle face Eurocopter Tiger and Mil Spanish Super Hind Mi24MK
Heavy Algerians. It would be wise for this reason to opt for attack helicopters
Super Cobra AH-1Z American manufacturer Bell even for the T-129 ATAK Turkish.

T129_2maroc.JPG

Translation:
Join the newly emerging industrialized countries, seeking
cooperating in their own defense programs, like Turkey
with its ambitious project combat dunker T-129, its missile
SOM cruise, arugula CIRIT etc. ...

http://www.arso.org/Coleman/Pour_une_nouvelle_strategie_de_defense integr.pdf

List of countries "interested":
  • Bahrain (Very likely deal)
  • Jordan
  • Azerbaijan (Likely deal)
  • Pakistan (probably will not buy)
  • Malaysia
  • Libya (can't buy)
  • Morocco
  • Saudi Arabia (probably will not buy)
  • UAE
  • Gambia :coffee:
  • Poland (Will get military aid from america and select apache)
There maybe more but I forgot them.

There maybe more but I forgot them.

Probably Tunisia could be one of them, I saw Pictures were a Tunisian Delegation made a Visit by Aselsan and they were presented a Model of T-129, as far I know they also operate SA-342 Gazelle which could need replacement in near FuturTunisia have also to deal with Khawarij Threat !

Last edited:
maxresdefault.jpg

The seats are so integrated into the cabin to provide, together with the landing gear, crew protection in collisions of 37g that is targeted at a vertical speed of 12.8 m / s The above is achieved with the help of bulletproof glass on the flight deck thickness 4.5 cm, which can withstand a hit from grain 23 mm.

But this is just valid for front glass most probably, side glasses are pilexiglass as you told ,not capable to stop even one stone ,still those information isnt clear honestly i couldnt find and good source for both of arguments

This is taken from the article @era_shield provided, mentioned just before than blast shield used for saving one of crew at least ,in the case of explosion of a shell in one of the cabins (for worst case).

Last edited:
In S&H i saw something... METEKSAN top official talks about RADAR related with T129C/D ATAK in MÜSİAD's High Tech Port exhibition... In the same exhibition TAI Helicopter Group's general director talks about T129A/B/C/D ATAK...

So we understand that there will be a T-129D... T-129 C & T-129 D will have MİLDAR when we look METEKSAN official's speech and when we look at TAI's official's speech... I think it goes like this...

T-129A > Current configuration also called as T-129 EDH
T-129B > T-129A+ Cirit & MIZRAK-U (If i'm not wrong Cabatli also mentioned some defence systems on T-129)
T-129C > T-129B(modified body)+ASELSAN CATS instead of ASELSAN 300T+MİLDAR
T-129D > Naval T-129C (I say naval because what's left?)

I understood it like that...

Last edited:
In S&H i saw something... METEKSAN top official talks about RADAR related with T129C/D ATAK in MÜSİAD's High Tech Port exhibition... In the same exhibition TAI Helicopter Group's general director talks about T129A/B/C/D ATAK...

So we understand that there will be a T-129D... T-129 C & T-129 D will have MİLDAR when we look METEKSAN official's speech and when we look at TAI's official's speech... I think it goes like this...

T-129A > Current configuration also called as T-129 EDH
T-129B > T-129A+ Cirit & MIZRAK-U (If i'm not wrong Cabatli also mentioned some defence systems on T-129)
T-129C > T-129B(modified body)+ASELSAN CATS instead of ASELSAN 300T+MİLDAR
T-129D > Naval T-129C (I say naval because what's left?)

I understood it like that...
If I remember correctly T-129 A's in the inventory will be upgraded to T-129 B.(Not 100% sure)

Back
Top Bottom