What's new

Switch off lights and use candles to drive away Corona-19: Modi

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/04/04/world/modi-india-blackout/#.XoiD6Yj7TIU

np_file_3843-870x555.jpeg

Indians rest by their shanties at Dharavi, one of Asia's largest slums, during lockdown to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in Mumbai on Friday. | AP
WORLD
Modi’s call to switch off lights en masse to prompt blackouts in India
BLOOMBERG

NEW DELHI – Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s call for Indians to switch off their lights Sunday evening for nine minutes and instead use candles to “challenge the darkness” of the coronavirus outbreak will mean blackouts for some citizens as utilities take steps to safeguard their equipment.

Modi asked people to switch off lights at 9 p.m. That may result in a sudden drop of about 15 gigawatts of power demand across the nation, said S.N. Sahai, secretary in the nation’s power ministry. In Uttar Pradesh, India’s most-populated state, the state-run utility plans to switch off power in phases to stop the surge in voltage from threatening the state’s power grid and equipment, U.P. Power Transmission Corp. said in a letter sent to generators.

The country plans to switch off some of its hydropower generation capacity to deal with the sudden dip in demand, Sahai said.

While the world’s second-most populous nation has barely tested 66,000 for the disease, Modi has spoken to his citizens twice, each time asking them to do a new activity to show solidarity in the fight against the coronavirus. The prime minister asked Indians to clap, ring bells, bang utensils and blow conch shells on March 22, and this time, switch off lights and use candles.

“These symbolic calls for solidarity will be more meaningful and credible if they’re accompanied by substantive, stepped-up measures to combat the virus,” said Michael Kugelman, senior associate for South Asia at the Wilson Center in Washington. “Otherwise, they’re easy to dismiss as empty gestures meant to distract from the government’s struggle to curb the spread of coronavirus.”

India is battling to secure foreign-made test kits while red tape is slowing the deployment of locally made ones. The number of tests in India is far slower than the pace in the U.S and even further behind that of top testing countries like South Korea, sparking speculation that the official tally of infections is underestimating the true size of its outbreak.

On March 22, many Indians rushed outside and gathered in groups to clap and make noise, violating the need to maintain distance. To avoid a repeat, Modi asked citizens not to step outside their homes on Sunday.

“We have been asked by the grid operator to be flexible,” said Bharat Rohra, chief executive officer at Jindal Power Ltd. “Our grid handles such shocks on a daily basis when the solar generation goes out in the evening. The system can handle this too if it’s planned well.”

India has been under a lockdown since March 25. The nation has more than 2,500 infections, while 62 people have died

Well people of the region are always superstitious. But when PM of a country in this region is also such superstitious then it's clear that why the country can't nearly be as developed as China despite having same number of population and more amount of arable land!

Last edited:
Well people of these region are always superstitious. But when PM of a country in this regis also such superstitious then it's clear that why the country can't nearly be as developed as China despite having same number of population and more amount of arable land!
Do every Bangladeshi on this forum have comprehension issue. Its for showing solidarity for the fight against the virus. How pathetic you need to be to write misleading titles only to create a circle-jerk.

Do every Bangladeshi on this forum have comprehension issue. Its for showing solidarity for the fight against the virus. How pathetic you need to be to write misleading titles only to create a circle-jerk.
But what about sound of bell and plate of kasa with clapping? Was it helpful to prevent coronavirus? If people believe then I don't blame them as we also have many superstitious people. But when a PM request it, it's become funny!

He has recommended gaumutra yet? Strange.
His party already celebrated cow urine party, so why he should suggest it? It was already done!

But what about sound of bell and plate of kasa with clapping? Was it helpful to prevent coronavirus? If people believe then I don't blame them as we also have many superstitious people. But when a PM request it, it's become funny!
How about a simple bet. You show me where the PM said that clapping or switching off lights will cure coronavirus and I will Paypal you $100. Easy money.

How about a simple bet. You show me where the PM said that clapping or switching off lights will cure coronavirus and I will Paypal you $100. Easy money.
Not a cure but a process for sure! Encouraging people of emergency service should be motivated by it as he said. Forget that? However he can promote a specific faith in a so called secular country, no big deal ;).

Hi, why were people asked to do the religious act clanging plates ?? They could have been asked to do some secular act. Clanging of plates reinforces that idea that India is largely a religion-bound, regressive society.

This disease is widespread, i reported the OP some hours back before logging out, for his despicable work of putting a misleading headline that bears no resemblance to the rest of the post. Nothing changed since, and i can assure you that nothing will.. We can only play our part, keep up with the good work.

Hi, why were people asked to do the religious act clanging plates ?? They could have been asked to do some secular act. Clanging of plates reinforces that idea that India is largely a religion-bound, regressive society.
What is stopping your religious leaders to ask people from your religion to comply with State's Covid mitigation efforts. Hundreds of your possibly infected people are still absconding in my state, our Health Minister has been requesting your religious leaders for the past several days with folded hands to help us find them. The same ones would cry victimhood if the State were to take punitive measures after exhausting all other measures.

In contrast, one Hindu guy who was found to be infected today put up posts on SM alerting his possible contacts, sat with the authorities throughout the night to map his contacts and over a hundred of them were quarantined by the noon along with many more in his apartment block which was put under observation.

What is stopping your religious leaders to ask people from your religion to comply with State's Covid mitigation efforts. Hundreds of your possibly infected people are still absconding in my state, our Health Minister has been requesting your religious leaders for the past several days with folded hands to help us find them. The same ones would cry victimhood if the State were to take punitive measures after exhausting all other measures.

In contrast, one Hindu guy who was found to be infected today put up posts on SM alerting his possible contacts, sat with the authorities throughout the night to map his contacts and over a hundred of them were quarantined by the noon along with many more in his apartment block which was put under observation.

I agree that the Hindu guy did good but why are you attaching to me these misguided people like the Tableeghis ??

And you did not respond correctly to my previous post.

I agree that the Hindu guy did good but why are you attaching to me these misguided people like the Tableeghis ??

And you did not respond correctly to my previous post.
Can't your Imams and Moulvis ask these misguided people to report to the authorities? Or perhaps advise them not to spit on the face and in the general direction of the doctors. Also, where are your so called progressives now, haven't heard a lot from them.

they are cooperating

they are cooperating

Tablighi Jamaat attendees not cooperating enough with state government: Assam Health Minister

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...th-minister/articleshow/74984370.cms?from=mdr

GUWAHATI: Assam health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Saturday said that the state government was not receiving desired co-operation from the people who attended the Tablighi Jamaat Markaz in Delhi's Nizamuddin West last month.

The state government has repeatedly issued appeals to those who visited the religious meeting in New Delhi to self-declare. Of 25 COVID-19 cases in the state, 24 of them are linked to the Tablighi Jamaat Markaz.

We have till now tested 812 persons who visited Markaz out of which 24 are positive. Now we have asked the Superintendent of police and deputy commissioners to get in touch with district "Amir" of Tablighi Jamaat Markaz and trace the number of people visited Nizamuddin,” added Sarma.

The minister warned that this is the last time the government is asking this people to self-declare.

“Despite repeated request several people are no co-operating. There are several people who visit ..

Tablighi Jamaat attendees not cooperating enough with state government: Assam Health Minister

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...th-minister/articleshow/74984370.cms?from=mdr

GUWAHATI: Assam health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Saturday said that the state government was not receiving desired co-operation from the people who attended the Tablighi Jamaat Markaz in Delhi's Nizamuddin West last month.

The state government has repeatedly issued appeals to those who visited the religious meeting in New Delhi to self-declare. Of 25 COVID-19 cases in the state, 24 of them are linked to the Tablighi Jamaat Markaz.

We have till now tested 812 persons who visited Markaz out of which 24 are positive. Now we have asked the Superintendent of police and deputy commissioners to get in touch with district "Amir" of Tablighi Jamaat Markaz and trace the number of people visited Nizamuddin,” added Sarma.

The minister warned that this is the last time the government is asking this people to self-declare.

“Despite repeated request several people are no co-operating. There are several people who visit ..

he is a sanghi bhakt. BJP troll

Back
Top Bottom