What's new

Swachh Bharat: Modi's promise of cleaning Varanasi doesn't appear to be an empty one

Dark flows the Ganga a year since Modi’s famous ‘aarti’ - The Hindu

Rs. 20,000 crore pumped in, but cleaning the river is a daunting task

A year ago, Prime Minister Narendra Modi vowed to serve the Ganga after attending a Ganga “aarti” at the Dashashwamedh Ghat here to celebrate his electoral victory. But as the government completed its first year in office on Tuesday, Varanasi, Mr. Modi’s constituency, is divided on whether his government can succeed in the mammoth task of cleaning the river, worshipped as a mother goddess in this ancient pilgrim city.

No success yet

Efforts to clean the river have been on since 1986, when the first Ganga Action Plan was announced by the then Congress government. Since then, thousands of crores of rupees has been pumped into river conservation efforts without any success.

This year, the Centre set aside Rs. 20,000 crore for “Namami Ganga”, a project to fix the river’s long-standing pollution problem.

Pushkal Upadhyay, Director, National Mission for Clean Ganga told The Hindu that the main focus of Namami Ganga project is to reduce the volume of raw sewage entering into the river currently. It will also invest in pollution monitoring and public awareness and participation. "The Rs. 20,000 crore will be utilised for completing pending sewage treatment plants, and upkeep of existing ones and building new ones where required. Other project priorities are maintenance of the ghats, roping in local citizens such as boatmen into river conservation efforts, and monitoring pollution from a central server. The government also has plans to rope in ex-servicemen to form a Ganga task force, for which the Ministry of Defence has given in-principle approval," he said.

Enthusiastic support

“If Modiji succeeds in making the river aviral [continuous] and nirmal [clean], he will be worshipped by his voters,” says Rama Rauta, a former member of the National Ganga River Basin Authority and prominent figure in the “Save the Ganga” movement. Her statement reinforces the strong emotions evoked by the river.

In Varanasi, Hindu believers and staunch BJP supporters are enthused by the prospect of a cleaner Ganga. Ordinary citizens and party workers pitched in for a massive clean-up as part of the Swacch Bharat Abhiyan on the riverfront on May 3. The usually heavily silted ghats now appear clean.

But cleaning the river will be a more daunting exercise than cleaning the ghats, river conservation activists says.

Pointing to the dozens of people bathing and washing clothes by the river side, Dinesh, a boat rower at the Assi Ghat for 30 years now, says: “Nothing has changed so far as pollution of the river is concerned. Isn’t that obvious?”

Our own NGO is also contributing towards swach bharat mission by building toilets for below proverty line families. :)

What this NGO is doing ?

Full form of Our NGO is "United Public Service Organisation" which was opened back in January by couple of my Engineering Graduate friends from the Dibrugarh University. They took me in as an member recently. I am basically an auditor.
We have been Carrying out many career awareness programs, plantation programs, awareness campaigns against aids so far. This coming week we will be carrying out a free health checkup program & a free blood donation camp in Dibrugarh district.

Recently, we got the opportunity to contribute towards modiji's Swash Bharat Mission by constructing toilets under sanitation program granted to us by Public Health & Engineering dept. We are currently contructing in Dibrugarh & Tinsukia District of Assam. We are proud for being able to provide quality work & optimise the fund provided. :)

Heres our fb page. I am the admin

United Public Service Organization

I am a MBA in Financial Management & Marketing Management.

Full form of Our NGO is "United Public Service Organisation" which was opened back in January by couple of my Engineering Graduate friends from the Dibrugarh University. They took me in as an member recently. I am basically an auditor.
We have been Carrying out many career awareness programs, plantation programs, awareness campaigns against aids so far. This coming week we will be carrying out a free health checkup program & a free blood donation camp in Dibrugarh district.

Recently, we got the opportunity to contribute towards modiji's Swash Bharat Mission by constructing toilets under sanitation program granted to us by Public Health & Engineering dept. We are currently contructing in Dibrugarh & Tinsukia District of Assam. We are proud for being able to provide quality work & optimise the fund provided. :)

I was thinking that your NGO is working around Ganga Ghats

It would be good if you post the pictures of the work done by your NGO in Dibrugarh and Tinsukia District of Assam

Maharashtra govt to build 56 lakh toilets

Awesome! I am not doing anything like that but it feels great to know about such work that fellow countrymen are doing!

Rawat issues orders to stop Ganga mining - The Hindu
Updated: May 31, 2015 06:01 IST

Under pressure from ‘Save Ganga’ activists, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Saturday issued directives to Haridwar district administration asking it to stop all mining activities on the river bed.

The Chief Minister sought immediate closure of mining activity on Ganga riverbed even as Chief Secretary N. Ravishankar ordered withdrawal of all heavy mining equipment like Poklands from the riverbed, an official release here said.

The issue had garnered support from various quarters, especially Matri Sadan chief Swami Shivanand who has been on a fast for over a month demanding an end to mining along the Ganga river. He recently intensified his Satyagraha going without water for three consecutive days. - PTI

This housing unit is just 20 minutes away from the Ganga river close to the Araji Sultanpur.

Jayapura under development boom after Modi adopted it - The Hindu
Updated: May 31, 2015 07:45 IST

JAYAPUR_2422696g.jpg

TH31_JAYAPUR_2422693g.jpg

Journalists are visiting Jayapura in droves to study "development" — Mr. Modi’s model of development — which the village epitomises.
Jitu Banbasi is a happy man today. A member of the Scheduled Tribe Musahar community, from Jayapura village in the Varanasi district of Uttar Pradesh, he lived in a makeshift brick house earlier but is now entitled to a pucca house painted in bright yellow and cobalt blue in Modiji ka Atal Nagar.

Treated as outcasts earlier, often denied even drinking water by upper caste village residents, the Musahars cannot but thank Prime Minister Narendra Modi enough. For it was after he adopted the village, about 30 km from his Lok Sabha constituency Varanasi, on November 7, 2014, that the seeds of transformation were sowed. Now Jitu is eagerly awaiting the formal inauguration of the colony so that he can occupy his new house. Thanks to the new houses, villagers too are treating the Musahars with more respect, he claims.

Journalists are visiting Jayapura in droves to study “development” — Mr. Modi’s model of development — which the village epitomises. Villagers admit that the flurry of developmental activities in the last seven months has been unprecedented. Most homes in the village have got new toilets, and houses for the poor have been constructed, undertaken mostly by Corporate Social Responsibility wings of major companies.

Jayapura was little heard of until the Prime Minister adopted it. But the lucky village has now received a visible boost in rural banking, road construction and solar power projects. At the house of the village head Durgavati Devi, solar power panels imported from China could be seen lined up for installation works. The approach roads to her own house were being re-laid now with alternating maroon and grey coloured paver blocks.

Sonu Patel, a resident, proudly showed off a solar-powered lantern. Such lanterns were distributed to villagers here recently. The streets too got new solar-powered lights, sponsored by the Union Bank of India’s CSR wing.

Om Prakash, an employee at the local Syndicate Bank branch, said the bank had opened 300 accounts for villagers under the Jan Dhan Yojana.

Easy loans were being processed for farmers and small business owners to boost the local economy.

Despite these positive changes, the lack of investment in government-funded programmes is conspicuous. Ms Durgavati admits that the implementation of the rural employment guarantee programme has not progressed. “We will prepare a budget estimate for NREGA in a future panchayat meeting,” she said when asked about the scheme.

Lack of water supply is a perennial problem in the village. New toilets built under the Swacch Bharat Abhiyan, to discourage open defecation, lie mostly unused. Housila Prasad Sharma, a local resident, says farmers still depend on well water to irrigate the fields.

High dropout rate

Villagers also complain about the lack of a secondary and higher secondary school. A bench in the Musahar housing colony sported a Narendra Modi quote: “Padhi likhi ladki roshni hai ghar ki” (An educated girl is the ray of light in a house). However, most girl children, including those in the Musahar colony, drop out after primary school as parents feel it is unsafe to send them far away for higher schooling. Says Srinarayan Patel, spokesperson for the village pradhan: “There are secondary and higher secondary schools in Jakhini, Rajatala and Badhaini, which are 2-10 km apart, but the nearest school in Jakhini, for example, has a capacity for only 50 students whereas the demand from students in all nearby villages put together is four times more.”

The absence of a primary health centre is another issue. Ms Durgavati says one of her neighbours died of brain haemorrhage recently due to lack of timely medical aid. The nearest PHC in Jakhini is inaccessible by road after evening hours, and there are no ambulance services.

But the visible infrastructure boost that “Modiji ka gaon,” as Jayapura is popularly called, has got in the last few months has infused hope among villagers. Many homes in the village, including that of the pradhan, sport the saffron flag of the Hindutva outfit, Vishwa Hindu Parishad, raising questions about the choice of Jayapura for adoption.

As soon as the vehicle carrying us crossed the village limits, hitting the approach roads leading to Varanasi, the ride got rockier. Along with Jayapura, we had to bid goodbye to colourful and smooth paver block roads too.

^^^
I have a problem with inorganic development like this.
Please should work hard to deserve the lives they want. This development seems just because the king has shown his kindness.
I worry that this will cause people to make demands like entitled brats.

^^^
I have a problem with inorganic development like this.
Please should work hard to deserve the lives they want. This development seems just because the king has shown his kindness.
I worry that this will cause people to make demands like entitled brats.

These people do need help because they live below poverty line and once they social conditions will improve. the situation around Ganga river will change.

These people do need help because they live below poverty line and once they social conditions will improve. the situation around Ganga river will change.

Agreed. But care must be taken to ensure that people who get such help contribute back to society and not depend on someone else to build their houses.

Back
Top Bottom