What's new

Swachh Bharat: Modi's promise of cleaning Varanasi doesn't appear to be an empty one

CAeQLhMUMAA7lLb.jpg

CCCbRsAWAAAHecB.jpg

Pictures are of two different ghats.

Ministry of Water Resources
18-April, 2015 17:59 IST
Achievement Booklet and Pocket Book of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation

Released Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Sushri Uma Bharti has said that inter-linking of rivers will help to develop inland water ways in the country. Releasing the Achievement Booklet and Pocket Book of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation here today the Minister said an overwhelming majority of people are in favour of inter-linking of rivers in the country. Referring to the clean Ganga Mission the Minister said more than half of the population of the country is dependent on Ganga for its livelihood and if we are able to clean this river it will give a tremendous boost to our economy. She said every section of the society has to be involved in this gigantic task. Sushri Bharti said Government can clean Ganga once but it will be the responsibility of the people to keep it clean in the years to come.

Earlier Secretary of the Ministry, Shri AK Bishnoi gave an over view of the various initiatives of the Ministry under taken during the last one year. He said constitution of Godavari and Krishna river management boards, constitution of special committee on inter-linking of rivers, flood forecasting of central water commission and launch of 5th census of minor irrigation projects in the country were some of the significant initiatives of his Ministry during the last one year.

Samir/jk
(Release ID :118327)

The Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Sushri Uma Bharti lighting the lamp to launch the Nirmal Ganga Sahbhagita Initiative, in New Delhi on April 18, 2015.
s2015041864509.jpg

s2015041864510.jpg

s2015041864508.jpg

The Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Sushri Uma Bharti released the Booklet and Pocket Book on the initiatives and achievements of the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, in New Delhi on April 18, 2015. The Secretary, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Shri Anuj Kumar Bishnoi is also seen.
s2015041864507.jpg

Ganga rejuvenation cannot be modelled on foreign rivers: Bharti | Zee News

Last Updated: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 22:30

New Delhi: Despite getting several international offers, rejuvenation of Ganga cannot be modelled on foreign rivers as the river has cultural and religious significance, Water Minister Uma Bharti said on Saturday.

She pointed out that crores of people take a dip in the river while there were several persons who ran small businesses along its banks and said these people have a major role in the Clean Ganga Mission.

"We have offers from international agencies who are ready to support in cleaning of Ganga. They are ready to help us with funds, technological measures and other expertise. But Ganga has a unique character. It is not like like any other river like Thames in London," Bharti said releasing a booklet on the achievements of her ministry in the last one year.

She informed that her ministry is in talks with several countries like Germany, China, Nepal, Bangladesh for cooperation to clean Ganga with Australia even promising to extend all technological support.

"People take a dip in Ganga for its cultural and religious significance. Every year around 20 to 30 crore people from all over the world take a dip in Ganga. So, we have to be careful in taking measures for its rejuvenation.

"There are lakhs of people in states like UP, Bihar and Uttarakhand who run small business during festival seasons. These people have major role to play in cleaning Ganga mission. It should come through public awareness and participation," she said.

The Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Minister called for close coordination between urban local bodies to achieve the goal.

National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), an autonomous body under the Water Ministry has launched 'Nirmal Ganga Sahbhagita' for initiating a sustainable partnership with 118 urban local bodies located along the river for a clean Ganga.

In a notice to 78 urban local bodies of Uttrakhand, UP, Bihar and Jharkhand last week, the ministry had directed to furnish action plans to set up sewage treatment plants to it within 15 days, as 75 per cent of the pollution in the river is caused by untreated sewerage waste.

Highlighting the achievements of her ministry, Bharti said that inter-linking of river for better management of water resources is being taken up as top priority.

The Interlinking of Rivers Programme has been given special attention by the ministry in past one year and it also set up a special committee as per directions of Supreme Court in September last year.

The three major projects of water sharing between states under inter-linking programme include Ken-Betwa link project in Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh and Damanganga-Pinjal and Par-Tapi-Narmada link projects in Maharashtra and Gujarat.

However, the Minister said there has not been much clarity on river development. "We will have to work for few more years on river development as there is not much clarity on it," she said.

PTI

Ministry of Water Resources
19-April, 2015 17:29 IST
Consultation Process Bigins With ULBS on Clean Ganga

In its efforts to involve more and more sectors for Clean Ganga Mission, the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), the project implementation wing of National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) under the aegis of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation launched ‘Nirmal Ganga Sahbhagita’ here yesterday. The event marked the beginning of a sustainable partnership with 118 Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) located along the river for the cherished objective of a Clean Ganga. The event was jointly organized by National Mission for Clean Ganga and Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA). 78 ULBs from the four basin States in Ganga Basin ( Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Jharkhand) participated in the event.

The initiative was inaugurated by Sushri Uma Bharati, Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation. Senior officials from Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation and Ministry of Urban Development also participated in the event. The Minister in her inaugural address cited the unanimous concern across the social strata for the cause of a Clean Ganga and emphasized upon the importance of the partnership and involvement of the Urban Local Bodies in the conservation of the river. She called upon each ULB to shoulder the challenge of making the Ganga rejuvenation mission a great success and a role model for conservation efforts for other rivers.

Speaking on the occasion Shri TVSN Prasad, Mission Director NMCG and Joint Secretary in the Water Resources Ministry said this event will be the first stepping stone for a sustainable partnership between ULBs and NMCG in effective execution of projects at ground level. He suggested for a Project Implementation Unit (PIU) in each ULB which can act as a single window for project facilitation and information exchange. He also suggested for an Memorandum of Understanding ( MoU ) between NMCG, ULBs and State Level Program Management Groups (SPMGs) for a fruitful engagement with ULBs on developing a litter free corridor along the banks of the river, arresting the flow of solid waste in the drains that discharge into the River, establishing environmental monitoring stations at confluence points of nalas with the rivers , undertaking communication and public outreach activities for sensitizing the public about cleaning the river, developing model cremation ghats and dhobhi ghats, engaging unemployed youth and ex-servicemen for monitoring the water quality and project implementation and initiating livelihood programs. The contours of the MoU was presented by Professor Vinod Kumar Sharma of IIPA.

A model mobile phone application that would enable the public and officials to upload the onsite photographs and other information about project implementation that can be viewed through the Bhuvan web Portal was presented before the participants by a senior official from National Remote Sensing Centre.

Samir/
(Release ID :118338)

PTI | May 9, 2015, 07.31 PM IST
First phase of 'Clean Ganga' campaign to be completed by 2016 - The Times of India

KANPUR: The first phase of 'Clean Ganga' campaign will be completed by October 2016 for the conservation of the river, water resources minister Uma Bharti said on Saturday.

The work for the completion of the first phase of 'Ganga Samagra Abhiyan' is in full swing and is expected to be completed by October next year, Bharti said at a meeting here.

A report on the conservation of the river's ecological system till Rishikesh has also been submitted by an IIT Kanpur professor and another report on the 'Ganga Sagar' is expected to be submitted by him in 1-2 months, she said.

"We have identified 23 sewers adjacent to the Ganga and have initiated the treatment of the sewage. There will be no delay of any scheme due to lack of funds falling under 'Namami Ganga,'" she said.

She also claimed that Narendra Modi will continue to serve as the Prime Minster for three more terms and what he has done for the economic development and foreign policies for India in one year was not even achieved by Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi.

GoD job done by good people....... yes, credit goes to Modi too

UP Minister’s daughter feared drowned in Ganga near Rishikesh | The Indian Express
Published on:May 10, 2015 7:09 pm
A girl Abida Hasan , who is daughter UP’s labour minister Shahid Manzoor, is feared drowned in the river Ganga near Phoolchatti under Rishikesh Police Station area on Sunday.

Rescuers are on job to trace the girl at the time of filing the report.

On being contacted, IG (Garhwal range) Sanjay Gunjyal said the girl was a part of five-member team which had come to Phoolchatti area for river rafting from Meerut.

Gunjyal said search operation is being undertaken jointly by Pauri and Tehri districts. “CO Rishikesh and SHO Munikareti are already camping there. I have asked SP to reach the site also,” Gunjayal said.

Earlier, Secretary (Home) Vinod Sharma directed the Garhwal police to undertake rescue operation and trace the girl.

I don't believe in this shit.

If you work hard you get the reward. If I work hard for my luxury I must get what I deserve. That was specifically the reason I leave, earn from india spend it overseas.

I don't get an iota of what I gave. My tax don't get me road infra or any facility. Only poor cockroaches eating my money. Getting free stuff. People like them must be quashed and their supporter must be beaten to death.

I never give bheek and hate the idea of free campers. I worked hard for my money. Spend years while they were sitting and stealing money or doing other illegal activity. In their childhood or youth.

Only the lethargic people stay hungry. If these pest died of hunger so be it. It's all for good I would say poison them and throw their body to make compost out of it.

I agree to some degree but our poor are not like first world poor who sit on their behind and collect welfare. Our poor are truly hardworking. Many have been born into poverty that has spanned generations. The least we can do is provide an education so that they can at least stand on their feet and not be taken advantage of.

Varanasi is probably the dirtiest city in India,not just the ghats centuries of dirt and garbage needs to be cleaned from the streets

What Modi has done is a first. Congres for 60 yrs did not lift a finger to make any good changes in India......

I agree to some degree but our poor are not like first world poor who sit on their behind and collect welfare. Our poor are truly hardworking. Many have been born into poverty that has spanned generations. The least we can do is provide an education so that they can at least stand on their feet and not be taken advantage of.

Indians are normally truly very hardworking. Here its more about equal opportunities. A rich man can become poor even after having edcuation and advantages of many things.

IndiaJodhpurTextileGraphics_071310-940x626.jpg

stock-photo-dehli-sept-hard-working-indians-boring-a-hole-to-access-water-on-september-in-dehli-43627012.jpg

Indian Females are not behind even.
OB-VI092_iwoman_D_20121112075147.jpg

images

Indians are normally truly very hardworking. Here its more about equal opportunities. A rich man can become poor even after having edcuation and advantages of many things.

IndiaJodhpurTextileGraphics_071310-940x626.jpg

stock-photo-dehli-sept-hard-working-indians-boring-a-hole-to-access-water-on-september-in-dehli-43627012.jpg

Indian Females are not behind even.
OB-VI092_iwoman_D_20121112075147.jpg

images

Yea I agree. Our poor are not lazy, if they do not work, they do not eat. The ppl who die are not lazy. They may not find jobs or medically incapable of working. The only reason I put education as a need among countless others is so the poor never become victim to Bs politicans and at least have shot at helping themselves and India.

Yea I agree. Our poor are not lazy, if they do not work, they do not eat. The ppl who die are not lazy. They may not find jobs or medically incapable of working. The only reason I put education as a need among countless others is so the poor never become victim to Bs politicans and at least have shot at helping themselves and India.

Even when people are educated they do become victims because of the hidden games.

Back
Top Bottom