Arminkh

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Suspect in fatal Kansas shooting thought Indian victims were Iranian – 911 call
Published time: 28 Feb, 2017 13:44Edited time: 28 Feb, 2017 14:05
Get short URL
58b57c35c36188090d8b4658.jpg

Adam Purinton, Olathe, Kansas, U.S., February 27, 2017. © Jill Toyoshiba / The Kansas City Star / Reuters

The suspect shouted “Get out of my country!” at the victims before opening fire. He then fled the scene, driving 70 miles (110km) to an Applebee’s restaurant in Clinton, Missouri, according to a report by the AP.

Purinton then confessed to the Applebee’s bartender, Sam Suida, that he had done something “really bad” and was on the run from police, according to a 911 call from Suida.

“He asked if he could stay with me and my husband, and he wouldn't tell me what he did. I kept asking him, and he said that he would tell me if I agreed to let him stay with me,” Suida said. “Well, I finally got him to tell me and he said, like, that he shot and killed two Iranian people in Olathe...”

However, Purinton's victims were from India – not Iran. They were both employees at GPS-maker Garmin, and had originally come to the US to study. They have been identified as Srinivas Kuchibhotla, who was killed in the attack, and Alok Madasani, who was injured.

A third person, 24-year-old Ian Grillot, was also injured when he tried to intervene.

Hundreds mourned the death of Kuchibhotla in his southern Indian hometown on Tuesday, with his mother saying she will not allow her other son to return to the US.

“Now I want my younger son Sai Kiran and his family to come back for good. I will not allow them to go back,” she told AP. “My son had gone there in search of a better future. What crime did he commit?” she added.

His father, Madhusudhan Rao, said he believes in destiny, and that “whatever was destined has happened.”

He did, however, call on the US government to “take care of the security of our Indians who are working there.”

Authorities have so far declined to discuss a possible motive for the attack, or say if they are investigating it as a hate crime.

However, Purinton's neighbor, Andy Berthelsen, told AP that the suspect had become a “drunken mess” following his father's death 18 months ago, and that he doesn't believe the shooting stemmed from hatred, noting it was likely that it resulted from the 51-year-old's mental and physical deterioration.

Meanwhile, the incident has deepened concerns about the treatment of immigrants, who feel targeted by President Donald Trump's stance on immigration. This includes his plan to ban citizens from seven mainly Muslim countries, build a wall along the Mexico border and put “America first.”

Many have expressed outrage over Trump's silence on the shooting, particularly after it emerged that Purinton allegedly believed he had shot two Iranians. Iran is one of the countries on the president's travel ban list.

Earlier this month, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), a civil rights group, said Trump's rhetoric on race, gender, religion and immigration had “electrified the radical right, which saw in him a champion of the idea that America is fundamentally a white man's country.”

In the month following Trump's election, the SPLC recorded 1,094 incidents of “bias-related harassment and intimidation” across the US. In more than a third of those incidents, assailants directly referenced Trump, his slogan ‘Make America Great Again’, or his past remarks about women.

In December, the American Library Association also highlighted a spate of racist incidents following Trump's win, including the defacement of Korans and other books about Islam.

https://www.rt.com/usa/378900-kansas-shooting-suspect-iranians/

In this picture he himself looks like that Irani actor... reza golzar

Giving an Oscar to an Iranian film was a master stroke of the Academy. I am sure it is a deserving film but the choice is politically motivated.
At least this time it was in our favor. Last time they gave Oscar to Argo with first lady presenting it. Nothing but political bias and propaganda. It happens both ways, more so than not against Iran

On behalf of us Americans not driven by blind hatred and over exaggerated nationalism, I want to say that I'm so very sorry that this has happened. Both to the Indian family and the Iranians that this man wanted to kill.

Hopefully many of you will start to get the picure that indeed, this sentiment is a growing cancer among our society at large and Trump only feeds into it. Iranians just don't come, it's no longer safe for you or us and things are just getting worse. We gotta wait and see where the winds of destiny will take us, odds are we're heading for hell and high water.

Last edited:
On behalf of us Americans not driven by blind hatred and over exaggerated natiolism, I want to say that I'm so very sorry that this has happened. Both to the Indian family and the Iranians that this man wanted to kill.

Hopefully many of you will start to get the picure that indeed, this sentiment is a growing cancer among our society at large and Trump only feeds into it. Iranians just don't come, it's no longer safe for you or us and things are just getting worse. We gotta wait and see where the winds of destiny will take us, odds are we're heading for hell and high water.

@BlueInGreen2 This is a problem that needs to be dealt with through open dialogue, arts and education. Governments alone cannot cause or solve hatred and it is the responsibility of us, ordinary citizens, to close the gaps between ethnicity and cultures.

@BlueInGreen2 This is a problem that needs to be dealt with through open dialogue, arts and education. Governments alone cannot cause or solve hatred and it is the responsibility of us, ordinary citizens, to close the gaps between ethnicity and cultures.
But I agree government especially populists like Trump have a lot to do with it. This is a very interesting article about this matter:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-s-mcelvaine/beware-a-trump-reichstag_b_14721096.html

• Firstpost •
  • Mar 01, 2017 07:58 IST
By AP

Olathe: A bartender at the restaurant where a man was arrested last week for an apparently racially motivated bar shooting of two Indian men told a 911 dispatcher that the suspect admitted shooting two people, but described them as Iranian. A recording from Henry County, Missouri, 911 reveals that the bartender warned police not to approach the building with sirens blaring or the man would "freak out" and "something bad's going to happen." A candlelight vigil to honour slain engineer Srinivas Kochibhotla. Reuters The man, Adam Purinton, 51, of Olathe, made his first appearance in court Monday via video link. He has been charged with first-degree murder and first-degree attempted murder. According to witnesses, Purinton yelled "get out of my country" at two 32-year-old Indian men, Srinivas Kuchibhotla and Alok Madasani, before he opened fire at Austin's Bar and Grill in the Kansas City suburb on Wednesday evening. Kuchibhotla was killed and Madasani injured. The two had come to the US from India to study, and they worked as engineers at GPS-maker Garmin. A third patron, Ian Grillot, 24, was wounded when he tried to intervene. After the shooting, Purinton, who is white, drove 70 miles east to an Applebee's restaurant in Clinton, Missouri, where he made the shocking admission to the bartender. In the 911 call, the bartender, Sam Suida, told the dispatcher a man had come into the bar and said he'd done something "really bad" and was on the run from the police. "He asked if he could stay with me and my husband, and he wouldn't tell me what he did. I kept asking him, and he said that he would tell me if I agreed to let him stay with me," the bartender said. "Well, I finally got him to tell me and he said, like, that he shot and killed two Iranian people in Olathe...." Authorities have declined to discuss a possible motive for the attack or to say if they are investigating it as a hate crime. But the incident has raised concern about the treatment of immigrants, who feel targeted by President Donald Trump's promises to ban certain travelers, build a wall along the Mexico border and put "America first." During Monday's court appearance lasting less than two minutes, Purinton was seen wearing what was described by a sheriff's department spokesman as a "safety smock," assigned to suspects who said something during jail processing that suggested they might do harm to themselves. Johnson County sheriff's Master Deputy Rick Howell would not disclose the comment by Purinton that raised concern, but said the suspect would wear the smock until mental health professionals say otherwise. Andy Berthelsen, a neighbor of Purinton's for the past 15 years, told the AP that Purinton had become "a drunken mess" after his father's death about 18 months ago. He said he doesn't believe the shooting stemmed from hatred, and that it likely resulted from Purinton's physical and mental deterioration. The University of Kansas Health System released a video Sunday of an interview with Grillot, of Grandview, Missouri, who is recovering after a bullet went through his right hand and into his chest. Grillot said he had to do something because there were families and children in the bar when the gunfire erupted. Grillot said he is grateful that the attack is bringing the community together and that it is "awesome honestly to be able to give people a hope that not everybody hates everybody." Madasani addressed a crowd of hundreds during a vigil Sunday night at the Ball Conference Center in Olathe, Kansas. He described the killing of Kuchibhotla, his friend and co-worker, as "a senseless crime," The Kansas City Star reported. "The main reason why I am here is that's what my best friend, Srinivas, would have done," Madasani said. "He would have been here for me." "I wish it was a dream," Madasani said. Still walking on crutches, Madasani drew applause when he called the shooting "an isolated incident that doesn't reflect the true spirit of Kansas, the Midwest and the United States." At the vigil, Madasani recalled how Kuchibhotla never complained about picking him up and driving him to work for six months. "He waited till I bought a car. That's the kind of guy he was — is," Madasani said

On behalf of us Americans not driven by blind hatred and over exaggerated nationalism, I want to say that I'm so very sorry that this has happened. Both to the Indian family and the Iranians that this man wanted to kill.

Where will all the immigrants go if they already made America their destiny?? These include students, green card holders and H1b categories. They have invested their family life saving in order to study in US. I am a US citizen myself and so is my family and at present living in India. And being of Indian origin where will I turn for safety. These are the questions that all immigrants are asking and it is high time this administration takes their concerns seriously.

Iranian/Indian or which ever country he hates , how can some one attack an innocent person. Hate makes ppl blind about other humans.

But I agree government especially populists like Trump have a lot to do with it. This is a very interesting article about this matter:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-s-mcelvaine/beware-a-trump-reichstag_b_14721096.html
when ppl form a mob and behave bad that is different. But when individuals go bonkers then society has serious issue on hands.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom