What's new

Superpower China: inevitable or fragile?

Leave the "superpower" title to US. China doesn't need it. China would be better off if our "superpower" customer and friend continue to buy our products, borrow our money and patrol the world to protect our interest.

If China is fragile India is glass.

I hope you realize that you are comparing an object(glass) with an adjective(fragile). Anyway,derailing this thread isn't my intention.Perhaps I got caught up in the moment seeing dragon's posts.

Back to the main article,yes China shows tremendous potential and promise to catapult itself into the big league.It was no easy feat considering the constant attempts by the West to undermine it.It has also displayed immense creativity in reinventing itself to suit the future.But it needs to be vigilant on how to tactfully handle the United States and her friends.Regional disturbances also will be a headache for China.However,the restraint exhibited by the current leadership is laudable and the whole of Asia waits with bated breath when China will reach the milestone of being a Superpower.

China not really a superpower

China not really a superpower | Columnists | Opinion | Toronto Sun

The notion that China is going to replace the United States as sole superpower is possibly the greatest myth of our time.

China lacks superpower qualities, and hasn’t discovered any in its mad dash into capitalism.

China may post impressive, bottom-line numbers, but key numbers are regularly omitted when touting China’s economic rise. In 2010, the IMF ranked China 94th in terms of GDP per capita, with $7,519.

It ranked the United States seventh, with $47,284. Even the most vocal proponent of China’s impending hegemony, Martin Jacques, author of When China Rules the World, concedes that roughly 60% of exports in China come from foreign companies.

Foreign companies are responsible for 85% of all high-tech exports.

Nearly two-thirds of China’s populace can be classified as peasants, and, by its own calculation, the Asian nation has the sharpest rich-poor divide in the world, a situation the Chinese themselves are deeply unhappy with.

There are literally tens of thousands of “mass incidents” each year in China, such as demonstrations and strikes. Such incidents regularly involve thousands of angry civilians and hundreds of armed police. According to China’s Ministry of Public Security, there were 87,000 such incidents in 2005, up from 74,000 in 2004.

Indeed, it’s the facts and figures associated with China’s colossal boom that are most disturbing. Never has there been such a grand industrial experiment, and never has the planet and its inhabitants seen such devastating consequences. According to the World Bank, China is now the world’s most polluted nation, laying claim to 16 of the 20 most despoiled cities on Earth.

The New York Times has reported that only 1% of China’s 560 million urban residents breathe air deemed safe by the European Union, and 500 million Chinese lack access to safe drinking water. Not surprisingly, China’s ministry of health now lists cancer as the No. 1 cause of death.

But China’s pollution is something that needs to be experienced to be appreciated. Even in the countryside, air quality can be abysmal (with trees just 50 yards away out of focus), and in cities it can be downright frightening. There are industrial towns in China where it’s rare to see the sun. Economists might wow about the Communist leviathan’s command economy, but the statistics it produces come at a terrible — perhaps irreversible — cost.

A basic requirement for China’s moving toward anything approaching a superpower would be its evolution from world’s-factory floor to a more-brains-less-brawn economy, but that appears untenable. China’s advancement is hindered by its poorly educated citizenry, and central planning or not, the Chinese government fears the consequences of genuinely educating its people.

Superpowers are not built on dollars alone. Britain wasn’t; neither was the United States. America owes its superpower status to historical and cultural circumstances: It won the Second World War and the Cold War and has cultivated its status since with everything from military power to soft power.

Unlike China, America exports its education, values, innovation and ideas. It possesses an extensive list of favourable attributes China isn’t even aware of. China’s “ruling the world” ranges between mantra and marketing ploy, and is the wrong lens through which to view that country.

China has become influential and Americans would do well to examine it, but they don’t need to fear being replaced by it.

China not really a superpower

Please stop the China superpower dream.

I've never seen any Chinese leaders saying China a superpower. I've never heard any my friends saying China a superpower.

Is there any Chinese calling China a superpower? If not, then stop.

Please stop the China superpower dream.

I've never seen any Chinese leaders saying China a superpower. I've never heard any my friends saying China a superpower.

Is there any Chinese calling China a superpower? If not, then stop.

Being modest is our way of life.

China is not a superpower. Never was and never needs to be. China is a power that will rise and defend itself and the interest of its citizens. That's good enough for me.

Nah lets cut the BS. It is our destiny to become superpower and its do or die. By 2025 either China or the US will have broken up like the Soviet Union and it is a zero sum game. We have NO OTHER CHOICE. Is the US going to just allow China to rise? Hell no! They will take action - diplomatic, military, economic - to slow down/prevent their eclipse by China from occuring. Who do you think we're fooling? No one. They will assume the worst so lets give them the worst. Being modest just shows others that you're small minded, weak and easy to bully. That is why the US sails its carriers in the Yellow Sea at will - because most of our people are small minded, weak, colonial slaves.

BTW, IndoCarib, you must be crying when you read that article, as despite all of China's flaws, we still have an average lifespan almost a decade longer than Indians. Better start working now; I can afford to waste 10 more years than you can.

Stop living in denial.
China will be dominant in the coming decade, and their power and influence will grow each year.

People who doubt this, all those analists, let them all speculate.
They cannot prevent the inevitable, China has all the ingredients to become a hyperpower, and there is nothing that indicates that they'll fall into a slump or will fail to live up to their expectations soon.

America will still be a global player no doubt, but China is simply steamrolling the competition, there is no stopping, they will continue to grow for quite some time to come.

And i'm sure that with their extreme growth, it's just a matter of time before their military & technology catches up with the western/American standards.

I mean, just realize, 1.3 billion people, so much skilled and educated Chinese people, so much bright minds, so much workforce and endless possibilities.

They will brutalize the competition and finally be an effective counter-balance to western and foremost American dominance in global politics. :tup:

"A basic requirement for China’s moving toward anything approaching a superpower would be its evolution from world’s-factory floor to a more-brains-less-brawn economy, but that appears untenable. China’s advancement is hindered by its poorly educated citizenry, and central planning or not, the Chinese government fears the consequences of genuinely educating its people."

The most interesting comment is this.

I think those who truly fear genuinely educating their citizens is India, as 30% of Indians are illiterate and thus powerless, vs. 95% youth literacy in China. China produces 10 times the patents and the scientific papers India does. Our PISA test scores rank #1 in the world (needless to say, also above Canada), while India is not even in the top 30.

^^^^^^
needless to say that comment was by a Chinese ! And you posted it here it because ?? I guess it is becuase that insecure Chinese found something to degrade India ? Very typical ! Just like the Chinese in this forum !

Nah lets cut the BS. It is our destiny to become superpower and its do or die. By 2025 either China or the US will have broken up like the Soviet Union and it is a zero sum game. We have NO OTHER CHOICE. Is the US going to just allow China to rise? Hell no! They will take action - diplomatic, military, economic - to slow down/prevent their eclipse by China from occuring. Who do you think we're fooling? No one. They will assume the worst so lets give them the worst. Being modest just shows others that you're small minded, weak and easy to bully. That is why the US sails its carriers in the Yellow Sea at will - because most of our people are small minded, weak, colonial slaves.

BTW, IndoCarib, you must be crying when you read that article, as despite all of China's flaws, we still have an average lifespan almost a decade longer than Indians. Better start working now; I can afford to waste 10 more years than you can.

I must have hit a frail nerve thare ! Did I ? Man, your ego is even more fragile than your country ! BTW I didnt write that article !

Not really interested in the superpower thing, but the Chinese official reports clearly say that China pursuit development and prosperity to achieve its revival, so I think it can explain a lot.

these guys in Washington are funny, they should learn some history beyond Roman and Greece.

The Chinese had been superpower throughout the entire history, rising up and down. What was called "heaven dynasty" as I've seen in the forum. The Chinese treat the west as Barbarians most of the time.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom