What's new

SULTAN's DEATH anniversry.....

I heard his sword got sold recently at an auction. Why doesn't India protect its history?

I heard his sword got sold recently at an auction. Why doesn't India protect its history?

If you're asking why we let them take away these artifacts, it happened when we were under British dominance.

If you're asking why we are not fighting to have them returned, it's a good question. As far as I know the law is often not very clear on these issues. I think the only practical option is to buy the artifacts yourselves.

Interestingly, this is the case for many countries. China has recently tried to prevent it's artifacts from being sold in auction at Christie's; these were art pieces looted from the Summer Palace in the 19th century.

Check out the controversy over the Elgin marbles.

Elgin Marbles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lhuang,
Yes, India needs to do a lot more to protect its historical artifacts. But the item that you are referring to - The Sword of Tipu Sultan - is currently in the same region / State that Tipu Sultan spent his life defending.

It is in Bangalore, India and belongs to one flashy and popular industrialist named Vijay Mallya!

I have a small doubt here.Who was the real Boss.Tipu or the maharajah of Mysore.

Nice doubt! :-)

Different people can interpret his title / role in different ways.

Both he and his dad for all practical purposes were the rulers of Mysore except that they never called themselves as one!! But Tipu got over this humbug in the latter part of his rule I presume!

The King was just for the name .... but the Tiger was the Law!

:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom