What's new

Sui-30MKI fighter jet goes missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ministry of Defence
26-May, 2017 17:17 IST
Indian Air Force Su-30 Aircraft Wreckage Found

The wreckage of IAF Su-30 MKI jet that went missing with two pilots onboard has been found in the thick forest around 60 Kms from Tezpur, Assam where it lost radar contact with the base. The wreckage was located today and ground parties are standing by to be airlifted to the crash site as the area is totally inaccessible. Search for flight data recorder and missing crew will be perused by the ground parties after they reach the crash site. Search parties of Army are also attempting to reach the crash site by trekking cross country, however their progress is hampered due to inclement weather, thick vegetation and steep gradient of the terrain.

The Su-30 aircraft took off around 1030 h on 23 May 17 and had gone off the radar and lost radio contact around 1110 h when aircraft was around 60 Kms from Tezpur. The aircraft was on a routine training mission as part of a two aircraft formation.

The aircraft was declared overdue and Search and Rescue operations were launched to locate the aircraft and the pilots. Help from civil administration and military authorities was also sought to locate the aircraft. Aerial search was commenced based on the last known position of the Su-30 MKI. Incessant rain and dense clouds hampered the search operations in air and on the ground. Search parties of IAF and Army set out to the area where the aircraft was declared missing. A court of Inquiry has been ordered to investigate the cause of the accident.

Ministry of Defence
26-May, 2017 17:17 IST
Indian Air Force Su-30 Aircraft Wreckage Found

The wreckage of IAF Su-30 MKI jet that went missing with two pilots onboard has been found in the thick forest around 60 Kms from Tezpur, Assam where it lost radar contact with the base. The wreckage was located today and ground parties are standing by to be airlifted to the crash site as the area is totally inaccessible. Search for flight data recorder and missing crew will be perused by the ground parties after they reach the crash site. Search parties of Army are also attempting to reach the crash site by trekking cross country, however their progress is hampered due to inclement weather, thick vegetation and steep gradient of the terrain.

The Su-30 aircraft took off around 1030 h on 23 May 17 and had gone off the radar and lost radio contact around 1110 h when aircraft was around 60 Kms from Tezpur. The aircraft was on a routine training mission as part of a two aircraft formation.

The aircraft was declared overdue and Search and Rescue operations were launched to locate the aircraft and the pilots. Help from civil administration and military authorities was also sought to locate the aircraft. Aerial search was commenced based on the last known position of the Su-30 MKI. Incessant rain and dense clouds hampered the search operations in air and on the ground. Search parties of IAF and Army set out to the area where the aircraft was declared missing. A court of Inquiry has been ordered to investigate the cause of the accident.

By the way According to PDF admin (twitter) this was defected to China..... What happened now?

I'm unaware of the actual current Su-30 annual flight hours by the IAF, but do know for a fact that it used to be about on average of 120 hours/year about 10 years ago. As for PAF F-16 annual flight hours....I believe you're mistaken. They still manage 250 hours/year, plus the F-16 doesn't break down as badly compared to the Su-30 during post maintenance. The F-16s still flew roughly that same amount of time during the embargo years.

NATO average flight hours is around 180 hours, and Pakistan is 250 hours? Pakistan has a 10 billion dollar annual military budget which is almost nothing yet they have a to feed, equip and train a military with 600k+ active duty, plus 500+ reserve. They have to maintain and fuel thousands of tanks, APCs, trucks, etc, they have to also maintain and fuel a navy with almost 200 vessels and on top of that they have an Air Force with over 900 aircraft.

Now tell me how they do this with a 9.9 billion budget and still somehow achieve 250 hours flight time which is more then most rich NATO countries achieve.

The conversation is also about MKI pilots which are india's most experienced pilots and not about other pilots on other platforms.

Firstly I'm not the one bragging about anything, it was your country fellow who even opened a comparative thread and if it was just the question of being large then as i said Russia and China would be up there with highest crash rate. Pakistan may have lost some F-16s but it was over three decades and not forgetting those F-16s were involved in almost a decade of combat against Afghan/ Soviet aircraft achieving something like a Dozen kills.

There you go, trying your best to demean PAF without an iota of logic,,,,F-16 is not the only aircraft in PAF fleet, it may be small but proven hard hitting force and the 100,000 accident free flying hours is not credited while aircraft sit on the ground and unlike Indian SU-30s, the PAF F-16s haven't been grounded numerous time.

Yes you were bragging and boasting about Indian MKIs crashing more often then Pakistani F-16 unfortunately for you, you got fact checked so you went off on an intangible rant. The fact is out of a small F-16 fleet and even smaller operational fleet Pakistan lost a large percentage of its F-16 fighters. I'm also not demanding anything, I'm giving facts, if there is anyone that demeans people it's you.

NATO average flight hours is around 180 hours, and Pakistan is 250 hours? Pakistan has a 10 billion dollar annual military budget which is almost nothing yet they have a to feed, equip and train a military with 600k+ active duty, plus 500+ reserve. They have to maintain and fuel thousands of tanks, APCs, trucks, etc, they have to also maintain and fuel a navy with almost 200 vessels and on top of that they have an Air Force with over 900 aircraft.

Now tell me how they do this with a 9.9 billion budget and still somehow achieve 250 hours flight time which is more then most rich NATO countries achieve.

The conversation is also about MKI pilots which are india's most experienced pilots and not about other pilots on other platforms.
Well the logbooks display the flight time from what I've seen. Average sortie is about 2 hours a day. The F-7 and Mirage guys manage 150-180 hours a year. The F-16s fly a lot, pilots usually rack up their 1k patches in about 4 years. I don't know about the annual budget but I can assure you the air force is well fed, trained and decently equipped.

IAF search & rescue team to be airdropped to Sukhoi wreck site :

26live-iaf.jpg

Yes you were bragging and boasting about Indian MKIs crashing more often then Pakistani F-16 unfortunately for you, you got fact checked so you went off on an intangible rant. The fact is out of a small F-16 fleet and even smaller operational fleet Pakistan lost a large percentage of its F-16 fighters. I'm also not demanding anything, I'm giving facts, if there is anyone that demeans people it's you.

Nonsense to say the least, you don't have the comprehension to take all the scenarios into equation and are just blabbering same tune all over without any substance or wisdom.
If you want to talk about small fleet then get your lost mind around India's Harrier fleet to find out some ground facts.....Pakistan lost it's 8 F-16s over 35 years of operations including combat missions....at least it's got some victories to show against it's name.

Sukhoi

A fleet of Sukhoi-30 fighter aircrafts at Tezpur in Assam. The Su-30 aircraft with two pilots went missing on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 | Photo Credit: Akhilesh Kumar
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...sing-su-30-aircraft-found/article18582679.ece
It was located 9,000 feet on the spur of a hill, officials said.
The wreckage of the Su-30 fighter aircraft of the Air Force that went missing near Tezpur in Assam was found on Friday.

“The wreckage was found close to the last known position of the aircraft. As of now, the weather is bad and the place has dense foliage,” sources in the Air Force said.

The wreckage was located 9,000 feet on the spur of a hill, officials said. Efforts were on to send in a team of IAF's Garud commandos through a helicopter. However, it is contingent upon the weather.

The aircraft with two pilots was on a routine training mission on Tuesday morning as part of a two aircraft formation. It lost radar and radio contacts with the controlling station at 11:10 hrs. The last reported location was 60 km north-west of Tezpur.

Su-30 fighter jets, C-130 aircraft, Advanced Light Helicopters and Chetak helicopters were pressed in for the search and rescue efforts but bad weather hampered the efforts on Wednesday. The rescue mission was resumed in full scale on Thursday.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/613697/iaf-orders-court-inquiry-sukhoi.html

The Indian Air Force today ordered a court of inquiry into the accident involving a Sukhoi jet, whose wreckage was found today 60 km from Tezpur in Assam.

The Su-30 MKI jet, with two pilots on board, had gone missing on Tuesday shortly after taking off from the Tezpur Salonibari air force station on a routine training sortie.

"A court of inquiry has been ordered to investigate the cause of the accident," IAF spokesperson Wing Commander Anupam Banerjee said here.

The wreckage of jet has been found in the thick forest around 60 km from Tezpur where it lost radar contact with the base.

"The wreckage was located today and ground parties are standing by to be airlifted to the crash site as the area is totally inaccessible. Search for flight data recorder and missing crew will be perused by the ground parties after they reach the crash site," Banerjee said.

He said search teams from the Army are attempting to reach the crash site by trekking cross country, adding their progress is hampered due to inclement weather, thick vegetation and steep gradient of the terrain.

The Su-30 jet had gone off the radar and lost radio contact around 1110 hours on Tuesday when aircraft was around 60 km from Tezpur.

The aircraft was on a routine training mission as part of a two-aircraft formation. A massive search operation was launched hours after the jet went missing.

However, incessant rain and dense clouds had hampered the search operations in air and on the ground.

Last edited:
By the way According to PDF admin (twitter) this was defected to China..... What happened now?

how do anyone know india is not fabricating "wreckage found" story? There was no independent verification. After all india also claimed of "surgical strike".

how do anyone know india is not fabricating "wreckage found" story? There was no independent verification. After all india also claimed of "surgical strike".
:what:

Nonsense to say the least, you don't have the comprehension to take all the scenarios into equation and are just blabbering same tune all over without any substance or wisdom.
If you want to talk about small fleet then get your lost mind around India's Harrier fleet to find out some ground facts.....Pakistan lost it's 8 F-16s over 35 years of operations including combat missions....at least it's got some victories to show against it's name.

Stop blabbering. You can't even address me directly and now you are clearly frustrated and getting into off topic ranting. Next time don't say stupid things.

Last edited:
Where did you pulled all numbers from mate?

India being one of the poorest country in world would spend billions to buy SU-30 out of charity? The reason you went for it was because China bought it first.
Kumar, I can't change your perspective, but I believe you know deep in your heart that india is always envious of China and seeks to emulate China. Everybody wants Mumbai to be the next Shanghai. LOL

Quoted by me but argued by you. You are the one being skeptical of that information, then go write an email and ask them to correct it based on your own 'expert' knowledge.

Unreliable information was paddled by you has gospel truth which i busted , You should be one writing them a email

I have to admit we are no where near 100% transparent, but if you look at all MIg-21 operators, Indian crash record is horrendous. We would really need to reach Indian level of incompetence to crash that many aircraft. LOL.

You want to keep live lala land your wish , Shanghai and Mumbai was big LOL too

When You don't have your own data , Chest beating is all Chinese could do.

Russians probably might be laughing their *** off when Chinese claim No Crappy Mig Copy which PAF Crashes often has not crashed by in PLAAF fleet .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom