What's new

Suggestions for a new car

So guys, last Friday my wife hit a chunky deer with my car and my Insurance company instead of fixing the car are now writing it off, they told me its totaled and they towed my car today, Now I am waiting for them to Pay of my finance company to get paid with whatever is left of it I will get. So now basically I am back in market to buy a car so I would like to get some suggestions ? the car my wife wrecked was 2014 Honda Accord, which was a nice car to drive, decent options and good on gas and I was thinking of finding another accord but I want to see if I can get some other car, I am not a fan of sedan nor SUV's but I do like cross-overs, anyone here drive any cross-overs ? or any other you want to recommend me? my last car was around 15,000$ this time I am thinking to put around 20,000-25,000$, I hope its decent amount to get a decent long term car.

@SQ8 @Hamartia Antidote @VCheng @GumNaam @PakFactor @ziaulislam @Myth_buster_1 @waz @HRK @MastanKhan @gambit @F-22Raptor @cloud4000 @LeGenD

If you can afford it, Tesla, because they are by far the best cars on the planet.

get another honda accord trust me the german car no mechanic wants to work on them parts cost a bomb.

Unfortunately they discontinued the V6 and some of their new 4cyls have had oil dilution problems for years that has been scaring people away (and supposedly has been finally fixed for 2021).

So guys, last Friday my wife hit a chunky deer with my car and my Insurance company instead of fixing the car are now writing it off, they told me its totaled and they towed my car today, Now I am waiting for them to Pay of my finance company to get paid with whatever is left of it I will get. So now basically I am back in market to buy a car so I would like to get some suggestions ? the car my wife wrecked was 2014 Honda Accord, which was a nice car to drive, decent options and good on gas and I was thinking of finding another accord but I want to see if I can get some other car, I am not a fan of sedan nor SUV's but I do like cross-overs, anyone here drive any cross-overs ? or any other you want to recommend me? my last car was around 15,000$ this time I am thinking to put around 20,000-25,000$, I hope its decent amount to get a decent long term car.

@SQ8 @Hamartia Antidote @VCheng @GumNaam @PakFactor @ziaulislam @Myth_buster_1 @waz @HRK @MastanKhan @gambit @F-22Raptor @cloud4000 @LeGenD

Thanks for the tag and hope your wife is doing good.

Personally, I would go with a Lexus or Infiniti I own both of these at the moment never had any repair and/or maintenance issues. Most I've done is regular factory maintenance and get the vehicles detailed 1-2x a year to protect the coating and all.

Stay away from American brands they rust away quicker than you can pay of your loan on those rust buckets.

The market is completely haywire so you need to do a bit of legwork. Get on autotrader or cars.com and start off with private sellers. If you are even somewhat familiar with autos you can find a decent deal on a Honda or Toyota which is probably the best second car to find and you can get a CRV as well.

I've been hearing about Camry a lot, I am definitely looking into it...One of my coworker here has a Hyundai elantra so I am also looking into it as well...

Chevy is good as well, I've seen a lot of Chevy here specially their 4x4 Silvarado truck, Southern people love Trucks...

Bro, Yellow is my favorite color hahah If i ever get rich I'll be buying my dream car in yellow...
View attachment 781554:man_in_love:

Its not bad bro, I've heard mixed reviews from people, but i see a lot of Chevy on roads...

If you going for the Camry stay above the SE Model

1633189824661.png

Crossovers are worse than sedans in every way (aero, mpg, handling, comfort, power to weight ratio). I would recommend Subaru Impreza which comes in sedan or hatchback form. It has standard all-wheel drive if you are worried about winter weather and these cars hold value very well. Other options are Toyota Corolla and Mazda 3.

If you must go crossover route consider Hyundai Kona or Chevrolet Trailblazer. Avoid Chevy Trax at all costs.

Some of the most rugged vehicles in the world are from GMC and AM General in fact. These are not cheap however.
They are expensive because of their blink blink factor and as long as they are brand new. Once they leave dealership, price nosedives and keep on diving.
Ford is competitive in the case of Pickups, SUVs and Sports respectively. Ford does not offer sedan(s) for average consumer. Ford offers true quality in its top offerings which is unfortunate. Not many can afford a Ford Mustang for example.
Ford do have cheap sedans like Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, sports type Mustang & GT. GT is bit expensive. Mustang is notorious for engine breakdown within 3 years.

Last edited:
Toyota is reliable - agreed.

Honda? The quality of Honda have declined even in the case of Honda Civic. Honda Accord is better but I would pick Toyota Camry on any given day.
I wanted to buy 2017 Honda accords few years ago but Honda retain it value pretty well. End up buying 17 Camry because it was cheaper but in same class. Newer 2021 model Camry and collora are lot better. Totally different feelings compared to previous generation.

German cars. They have exceptional built quality and generally very well engineered. But over a time all the gadgets and gimmicks stop working, and it costs more than the entire car to have them repaired.
True, regular maintenance is costly, that’s why most people prefer them under 3 year lease agreement or warranties.

for $25K that are of quality and have decent resale

1) Toyota 4 Runner - take the SRS > bullet proof reliability , tough as nail, quality, resale, comfort, quiet . > down side gas mileage, and outdated tech

1633193959760.png

2) Lexus ES 350 > i currently drive a Lexus ES 350 YE 2021 luxury model, but an older model 2017 is with in your budget .. once you drive you will realise accord and camry are lame in comparison. And no it is not gussed up camry, as clowns who never drive it will say that, test drive it or rent it and you know what i am saying. The maintainance cost is not significantly difference. Lexus is quiet as a mouse, it gives a very relaxing drive ideal for lame US roads which are covered with hard surfaces.

1633194035702.png

3) lexus GX460 - $25K can get you a great example but V8 is a gas hog.

2018 Lexus GX 460

4) Toyota Highlander - excellent family choice
1633194228403.png

5) Toyota Avalon. - go fro YE 2016 model on wards they fixed "stiff" suspension issues. good power, comfortable and quality . The lose alot of value in year one as they are precived as grand pa cars

1633194615203.png

Also sedan cars are safer than SUV., SUV get totaled just as bad as any other vehicles

Mazda CX-5 - Great choice, but note it has a taunt ride .. test drive it and see if you are ok with it. I prefer Lexus/Toyota comfort and ride setup

1633194654341.png

Cars to avoid

> Nissan - CVT issues and failling quality after 5 years
> KIA -sportage killed in action , engine issues and gear box and AC failures..
> Tesla > loads of quality issues, loud road noise skip it and wait for the Koreans
> All german cars.. they all have a 5 years life after which planned obsolescence sets in = $ bills
> All Americans cars - junk avoid them like a plague.

Last edited:

I drive a Subaru Forrester, which is an SUV. But if you are looking for something smaller, I would either recommend a Subaru CrossTek, Honda CRV or HRV, Toyota RAV4, or a Nissan Rogue. All good cars within your price point.

QIRAlpha.png

This ranking is informed by inspection of 2 million used cars since 1993 in the United States.

Nopes, that's a common misconception about German cars. They have exceptional built quality and generally very well engineered. But over a time all the gadgets and gimmicks stop working, and it costs more than the entire car to have them repaired.
Please see above.

Audi and BMW offer very well-designed cars no doubt but reliability factor will vary from model to model.

Have a look:

This source inspects used cars to determine reliability.

Few are able to match Audi and BMW offerings in 'luxury' and 'comfort' however. The cars are designed and fine-tuned with these considerations in mind.

Recalling is common in the automotive world, even the Kia Sportage was recalled. In Pakistan too. The biggest Toyota recall was that of the Tacoma chassis, that was rusting very quickly, yet they beared the 3 billion dollar brunt, to make sure their reputation wasn't hit.
Agreed.

Ford does make excellent work trucks, much better than GMC/Chevy. I'm not really a fan of muscle cars, I think they're too tacky, but that's just my opinion.
Different market segments of-course.

GMC is renowned for its legendary Hummer line-up but you will have to pay a premium for one of these offerings. 70,000/- USD is starting price point.

Chevrolet Bolt, Impala and Silverado are quality offerings. I have these in mind normally. One of my friends owned a Chevy and he was satisfied; I do not recall the model now.

Chevy have limited maintenance eco-system in Pakistan so I do not recommend it here. USA does not have this problem of-course.

I see your point nevertheless. Fair enough.

It's not for the sake of it, American brands usually perform very poor on the owner satisfaction surveys. Not me saying it.
Please see above.

It depends.

I am very careful in my picks but I do not speak for average consumer.

They're just playing safe, can't blame them. Cars are hella expensive, most people don't have money to experiment with.
No argument in this case. Good point.

Very reasonable choices 👍
Thanks. :-)

Mazda and Hyundai are in game now.

2021-toyota-rav4-prime.jpg

Get a RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid if it falls in budget.

-Excellent power 300 BHP combined
-Hybrid - so some what future proof
-Hybrid - so easy on fuel
- Hybrid so no range anxiety
-Toyota so long life
-Toyota so trouble free
-CUV so space & convenience

Last edited:

Hi,

Get a prius Hubrid. I have 3 of them other than my ES300.

Back
Top Bottom