What's new

Sufism/ Tasawuf (Islamic mysticism)

Because trying to reach either using one is not going to work out. Take the example of the Mairaj.

I can't imagine why not ? Both are sources of knowledge; one deals with metaphysical and epistemological issues while the other observes and reports on the physical world. I believe because both try to address different kinds of questions and yet at the same time infringe upon each other's domains; we ought to benefit from the lessons we get from either to enrich our understanding of the other.

Possibly allegorical and even literally not scientifically impossible !

I can't imagine why not ? Both are sources of knowledge; one deals with metaphysical and epistemological issues while the other observes and reports on the physical world. I believe because both try to address different kinds of questions and yet at the same time infringe upon each other's domains; we ought to benefit from the lessons we get from either to enrich our understanding of the other.

Possibly allegorical and even literally not scientifically impossible !
Good man. Even Al bairuni was onto this

You are wrong. Suffism and Islam are two different ideaology. Suffism people believes in rebirth. They believes in meditation like Lord Buddha did. Suffi people were not religious people. They were only born in muslim family and they followed Islam ideaology till they started their own search on God mystery. And their experience were different than islam ideology. Read one of the greatest suffi fakir Sai Bulle Shah or Shaik farid. Baba Shaikh Farid spent 12 years in jungle in search of God. He meditiated very hard . If his ideaology and islam were same then why he felt to leave home and meditiate in jungle.

Don't talk about alien/foreign concepts. Sufis were the islamic spiritual missionaries who spread Islam via their intellect and charisma rather than the sword. Most of the Hanafi Muslim world is Sufi inspired. Most branches of Sufism form a chain(silsila) leading to Ali R.A, the fourth Islamic caliph. I'm afraid Sufism is not related to pagan religions like hinduism and buddhism. It's a Wahaabi/Saudi propaganda that sufism is not a part of Islam. Sufism literally means "following of Sufis(who were mostly religious missonaries, Islamic holy men)".

And sufis don't meditate due to some guy called Buddha, they meditate because our beloved prophet Muhammad(PBUH) is said to have done the same in a cave named "Hira".

PS: Please don't compare paganism and atheism with Islam, of which sufism is a school of thought. And there is no concept of rebirth. There's no relation between hinduism and sufism.

Zikr, which is a major part of sufism throughout the world:

Mirpur, Azad Kashmir, Pakistan:

Iraq:

Xingjiang, China:

Turkey:

Bosnia:

Somalia:

Zikr is basically remembrance of Allah. I want to experience it once in my lifetime. As of yet, I don't believe I'm spiritually ready for it.

You are wrong. Suffism and Islam are two different ideaology. Suffism people believes in rebirth. They believes in meditation like Lord Buddha did. Suffi people were not religious people. They were only born in muslim family and they followed Islam ideaology till they started their own search on God mystery. And their experience were different than islam ideology. Read one of the greatest suffi fakir Sai Bulle Shah or Shaik farid. Baba Shaikh Farid spent 12 years in jungle in search of God. He meditiated very hard . If his ideaology and islam were same then why he felt to leave home and meditiate in jungle.

LOL do not tell me about Sufis, I am descended from Sufi pirs and my second cousin is the current pir of a naqshbandi order in Pakistan. Also do not insult our saints, first of all Bulleh Shah was a Syed descended from the Prophet why would he not be a follower of his own forefather? Secondly Farid spending 12 years looking for god does not mean he is not Muslim, Islam accepts ascetic lifestyle although it is not deemed as necessary. Look up dervishes or faqirs they were all Muslim ascetics. Meditation is not something that is exclusive to one religion, for example Prophet Muhammad PBUH used to meditate in a cave by his lonesome for hours in fact his first revelation was while he was doing one of these prayer meditations.

You are the one that wrong buddy. And also if there are some people who say that they do Sufism practice, but without using Quran and Hadith during the process, what they do can be regarded as meaningless. There are many Sufism practice over there, so we must be careful to choose the right one.

Talking about the logic of going out from home and going to jungle, desert, etc to be just alone:

Leaving home or city to achieve some spiritual objective is understandable in order to cut off emotional dependency into human and society. In truth, any Muslim is asked to only rely on ALLAH based on Quran, but some Muslim dont understand that it should be in emotional term rather than just acknowledging the meaning of the verse literally. Relying on ALLAH only is something that is easy to say and to understand but difficult to have such experience on the heart ( feeling ), thats why some Sufi go out from their home and stay in a jungle. But, according to me, that kind of practice is too extreme, even though our prophet do similar thing before angel came to him and give him Quran and duty as a prophet. He didnt do that again after Islam is brought to him and he become a prophet.

Instead of being alone at jungle and desert to cut off dependency into worldly things ( human, money, human status ), Muslim are ordered to pray 5 times a day, and for men we are urged to do it at the mosque, and we can also stay at the mosque for quite some time, it is urged to do so in the Ramadhan month.

If they claim to be Sufi but do not follow Islam then they are nothing more than charlatans probably trying to swindle money out of gullible people.

Slave-Islamic-Quotes-Hadiths-Duas.jpg

Last edited:
LOL do not tell me about Sufis, I am descended from Sufi pirs and my second cousin is the current pir of a naqshbandi order in Pakistan. Also do not insult our saints, first of all Bulleh Shah was a Syed descended from the Prophet why would he not be a follower of his own forefather? Secondly Farid spending 12 years looking for god does not mean he is not Muslim, Islam accepts ascetic lifestyle although it is not deemed as necessary. Look up dervishes or faqirs they were all Muslim ascetics. Meditation is not something that is exclusive to one religion, for example Prophet Muhammad PBUH used to meditate in a cave by his lonesome for hours in fact his first revelation was while he was doing one of these prayer meditations.

If they claim to be Sufi but do not follow Islam then they are nothing more than charlatans probably trying to swindle money out of gullible people.
Tu mukay madine ghum aaya , tu na rakh lita haazi,
Bulleya tu ki haasil kita, je rab ni rakhya raazi.

Bulleya aashiq hoya rab da , hui malamat lakh
Loki Tenu kaafir kaafir aakhe , tu aaho aaho akhh.

Man you just got fingers and internet. Lol

I like this quote, and it is so related with Sufism as well, the knowledge and the outcome that we possibly take from doing this practice will eventually give inner peace to us, inshaALLAH, thus it will be beneficial not only for our afterlife, but also for our present time, in this dunya.

master-shifu-quote-from-kung-fu-panda-2.jpg

Tu mukay madine ghum aaya , tu na rakh lita haazi,
Bulleya tu ki haasil kita, je rab ni rakhya raazi.

Bulleya aashiq hoya rab da , hui malamat lakh
Loki Tenu kaafir kaafir aakhe , tu aaho aaho akhh.

Man you just got fingers and internet. Lol

Mullahs of his time called him kaffir as they did many other Pirs of their time, you seem to have missed his point.

What is sufism?

Rabia Basri was walking while holding a torch and a container of water.
Someone asked her "where are you going?"
She replied "i am going to put out the flames of hellfire so i don't obey Allah out of fear of hell, and i am going to burn jannah so i don't love Allah out of greed for paradise".

Shair arz hai

saif_ul_malook_138.jpg

Talks of specials, are not for the ordinary
Just as the desserts can’t be savored by dogs.

What is sufism?

Rabia Basri was walking while holding a torch and a container of water.
Someone asked her "where are you going?"
She replied "i am going to put out the flames of hellfire so i don't obey Allah out of fear of hell, and i am going to burn jannah so i don't love Allah out of greed for paradise".

Understandable, for example, why we love to buy luxury car...? just only because of the car or in order to get people recognition as a successful individual...? Psychological need is the greatest one, more satisfaction from this side.

Quran, At Taubah : 72

"Allah has promised the believing men and believing women gardens beneath which rivers flow, wherein they abide eternally, and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence; but approval ( ridho) from Allah is greater. It is that which is the great attainment."

As stated by Maulana Allah Baksh (Dalial us Salook)
Tassawuf is nothing but ite bahe (sunnah following the sunnah)

Sufi are like engineers, they don't just read the theory, they implement the theory (Sharia) upon themselves

chasmaan.gif

bt105.gif

images

Bulleh-Shah-Poetry-Masjid-Dha-day-Mandar-Dha-Day.jpg

It's easy to see which sufi groups are right. Just match them with quran and sunnah. Although i have to say that those who are right sufis after filtering through quran and sunnah, i envy them. What an amazing way to live life...

According to a hadith in Sahih Bukhari, a muslim should try to achieve perfection in ibadah. The word used for perfection is "ihsan". And prophet said ihsan is that you worship Allah as if you can see Him, if you cannot do that then worship Him as if He sees you.

Sufism is best at worshipping Allah as if you can see Him. I think most people worship Allah as if He sees us. It isn't wrong, but it isn't the perfection all muslims should seek.
Islam revolves around three crucial aspects, understanding,practice and society. Three are equally important. In fact the understanding and society are more essential because they propagate your character and the image of Islam to others. It wasn't Muhammad (SAAWW)'s ibadat but his character, his dealing and his social behavior which won the hearts of Arabs.
Hazrat Junaid Bhagdadi became Saint as he took easy upon a Syed while wrestling.
So was true for the Saints of Subcontinent who attracted more people towards Islam than Mughal Emprors or Foreign Islamic invaders. Islam has always spread with the character.

Back
Top Bottom