BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Sufi singers under assault in Bangladesh

by Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury
April 8, 2011

1401.jpg

Twenty-eight followers of Bangladesh's legendary Sufi lyricist and philosopher, Lalon Fakir were physically assaulted and humiliated by a group of radical Islamists in a southern district in Bangladesh on April 6, 2011.

According to media reports, a group of local Islamists attacked the Baul Fair on April 6, 2011 and started physically assaulting the Bauls as well damaged their musical instrument. The group of attackers was mostly from the ruling party in Bangladesh. Later, the attackers cut the Sufi-type long hair of the Bauls and their mustache and drove them to local mosque for offering 'Tauba' [seeking forgiveness from Allah for committing sin]. Those who were victim of the attack are aged above 60 years.

After such huge humiliation of these mystique singer and Sufi thinkers, the group of attackers claimed that, Baul songs contain lyrics, which goes against Koran and Sharia. They said any such activity against Islam, Koran and Sharia will not be tolerated in this country.

Attack on Bauls in Bangladesh is certainly a crime against humanity as well as it goes against the freedom of expression of any individual in the country. Unfortunately, radical Islam and Islamism are on rise in Bangladesh for past few months. Pro-jihadist clergies like Mufti Fazlul Huq Amini and Moulana Rezaul Karim are continuing to give jihadist instigation to people openly without any action from the government of law enforcing agencies. The government really needs to look into this matter forthwith for the sake of saving Bangladesh from becoming a safe haven of various Islamist and jihadist elements. Attackers on Bauls should also be brought into book and punished for the sake of maintaining secularist image of Bangladesh. Culprits must be punished irrespective of their political identities.

Sufi singers under assault in Bangladesh :: Weekly Blitz

Man arrested for assaulting bauls

Sat, Apr 16th, 2011 11:31 am BdST

Rajbari, Apr 16 (bdnews24.com)—

Police have arrested a man in connection with the case filed over the Apr 4 assault on 28 Bauls—mystic folk singers—in Pangsha Upazila of Rajbari. Officer-in-charge of Pangsha Police Station Munsi Mofazzal Hossain told bdnews24.com that they had arrested Riazul Islam, 40, assistant superintendent of a local mosque, from his Choubaria Charpara house in the upazila in the early hours of Saturday.

Police were looking for Riazul, who went into hiding after the incident, on information that he had come home on Friday, he said. The police officer said they were trying to nab the remaining 12 suspects. A group of local people had forcibly cut off the locks and moustaches of the 28 folk singers bringing allegation of anti-Islam activities against them.

One of the bauls, Mohammad Fakir, had filed a case against 13 people with the local police. The incident drew widespread criticism across the country, with the parliamentary standing committee on the cultural affairs ministry recommending immediate measures.

Man arrested for assaulting bauls | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Its ironic, cause its the Sufis who are credited for spreading Islam in the sub-continent.

It's but normal that radicals will have a beef on Lalon. Baul is an unique tradition of Bengal, if Bangladesh loses that then they will lose their identity.

This is utter disgusting that bhartis are making a fuss over here.... where as they are from a country where persecution and discrimination on minorities is a common phenomena.

There I changed my flags, did it make the issue go away? No it didn't. It was Bangladeshis papers that published the story, Bangladeshis who were at the receiving end, perps were Bangladeshis, nothing to do with India!

Man, you gotta be kidding me. Assault for not combing their hair?. :lol: You need medication. Height of ridiculousness! :eek:

Instead of talking dumb read my post again. I never said these baul's hair was cut due to the fact that they do not comb their hair. Before posting crap read stuff carefully.

Instead of talking dumb read my post again. I never said these baul's hair was cut due to the fact that they do not comb their hair. Before posting crap read stuff carefully.

Relax, why do you get so hyped up! :lol: You mentioned "On the other hand" . That means, on one hand, they are being assaulted for their negative lyrics and "on the other hand" because of their dirty, stinky hair! If you didn't mean this, not much of a big deal you know. Anyways, while writing, think about the interpretation too! :lol:

There I changed my flags, did it make the issue go away? No it didn't. It was Bangladeshis papers that published the story, Bangladeshis who were at the receiving end, perps were Bangladeshis, nothing to do with India!

I just give a damn which flag you use or are using. These is a simple local issue and the issue has been resolved. There are no point of posting a news like this. In a country of 166 million it will not be uncommon there would be 100s of news on rape, murder, robbery, attacking, plundering. It does not mean that they will have to be published here when it is a non issue from the beginning.

N from the article it can be seen that these bauls hair was cut not cause of their profession but using lyrics which are insulting to Islam.

Just go n look when an Indian painter tried to draw a nude statue of durga how hindu fanatics tried to kill him or threatened for it. But nothing has happened such. They were taken to the mosque to seek forgiveness. But those who cut hair was arrested. So case closed.

But if these bauls used really insulting lyrics on islam they will have to pay a high price for it.

N no bhartis need to shed crocodile tears for it. Go n look at your 1.2 billion poor people that your country has in its disposal.

Relax, why do you get so hyped up! :lol: You mentioned "On the other hand" . That means, on one hand, they are being assaulted for their negative lyrics and "on the other hand" because of their dirty, stinky hair! If you didn't mean this, not much of a big deal you know. Anyways, while writing, think about the interpretation too! :lol:

From where in the following line you have found this is a cause of the cut of their hair!!!

"On the other hand many of these bauls never comb their hair... it looks really nasty to see such hair... So even if they prefer to keep long hair they should keep it clean instead of dirty and stinky."

Their hair was cut cause of the insulting lyrics on islam. But all these big stinky, long and resembling like mad man with such hair might have also prompted to cut their hair.

N I have no time to elaborate specially for the bhartis like you as I have many other works. I am not a paid agent like many of you so that I can pass my whole days over here.

I just give a damn which flag you use or are using. These is a simple local issue and the issue has been resolved. There are no point of posting a news like this. In a country of 166 million it will not be uncommon there would be 100s of news on rape, murder, robbery, attacking, plundering. It does not mean that they will have to be published here when it is a non issue from the beginning.

Only 1 has been has been arrested, and how do you know whats in the lyrics, have you heard them? Just cause it was against whats written in Quran and Shariah doesn't mean its wrong and people should be bashed. Am sure making out before marriage is against Islam as well? Should you be bashed then?

P.S: Feel free to report this thread to mod.

Only 1 has been has been arrested, and how do you know whats in the lyrics, have you heard them? Just cause it was against whats written in Quran and Shariah doesn't mean its wrong and people should be bashed. Am sure making out before marriage is against Islam as well? Should you be bashed then?

P.S: Feel free to report this thread to mod.

Are you blind or dumb enough that you have posted these stuff on lyrics. I do not know thats why i have saif "if" in my sentence. N the issue is clear here they were attacked cause of insulting lyrics not cause it is not in the quran. Some islamo phobic people n news article try to distort the real fact. n bhartis like you can shed crocodile tears when your country has a worst track record on treating minorities.

n regarding making out with woman... is it allowed in hinduism, christianity or judaism!!! where even sita had to give purity test.. then how come you ask such question... Will you be glad if you see your sister, daughter or other family members are making out with other boys??? You know it very well what happen in most of the occasion... after having physical relation boys just throw the girls away. Its not ban but it is not desirable and unwanted in bangladesh as well as in india... go n ask your parents or any other parents you will get the same answer... in most of the cases.

I do not think, this is the 1st time Bauls have been attacked in the Mazar of Lalon Shah. Thing is, they usually smoke all those unlawful Ganja, Charash and others. They drink alcohol. But, they do not stop there. They start dancing when they are drunk, and they shout in too loud a voice. General public near the Mazar Sharif dislike them, but, usually, police would not interfere, because it may cause hue and cry.

This may be the reason that they were insulted badlly by the youth. But, it can also be that these youths themselves wanted to share those Ganja, which the Bauls resisted. Anyway, as far as I know, the Bauls there are unruly and they do not go there for love to Lalon Shah. They go there to enjoy time by smoking, drinking and dancing. Can they be called Sufi?

I do not think, this is the 1st time Bauls have been attacked in the Mazar of Lalon Shah. Thing is, they usually smoke all those unlawful Ganja, Charash and others. They drink alcohol. But, they do not stop there. They start dancing when they are drunk, and they shout in too loud a voice. General public near the Mazar Sharif dislike them, but, usually, police would not interfere, because it may cause hue and cry.

This may be the reason that they were insulted badlly by the youth. But, it can also be that these youths themselves wanted to share those Ganja, which the Bauls resisted. Anyway, as far as I know, the Bauls there are unruly and they do not go there for love to Lalon Shah. They go there to enjoy time by smoking, drinking and dancing. Can they be called Sufi?

Now a days majority of them are tout... but only a few of them are good...Anyway thanks for your input..

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom