What's new

Stop claiming you're either Arab or Persian or Turk!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks this tribalism is no good. It is good to know where you come from, who your ancestors were and so on. But pushing it like some Pakistani do it is kinda embarrassing. Are you ashamed to just say "I am from Pakistan"? Why do we have to add "... but my granddad is from Iran, my cousin twice removed has Arab ancestry, my brother-in-law was a General in the Turkish army!"

I am proud to be a Pakistani, not for coming from a specific state rather for the idea of Pakistan. Pakistan is not just another national entity it our Megali Idea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megali_Idea)!

So stop associating with other people like it's better to be Arab or a Turk (have you ever met an average Arab or Turk here in the West...?). You sound like those Indians who brag about Nobel prizes like it's their own achievement.

And yes, my family also claims Arab ancestry :D

I am a proud Pakistani but I am not going to lie, sometimes I wish Pakistan had the rich history of nations like Iran and Turkey with the heritage of glorious Persian and Ottoman empires.

That said, Pakistan is a new country and being able to witness the birth of your nation in your lifetime is one of the highest honors a person can have. Very few people in the world get this opportunity but Pakistanis are among the lucky ones.
Is the glory of indus valley civilization not enough for you?

It's not weird when people in this region have had a long history of concocting false lineages and heritages just to have more prestige in the society. If you think your forefathers weren't capable of doing that, then you are wrong.

People of Pakistan were hindus, Buddhists and jains before Islam arrived, but when's the last time you met a Pakistani who had a Hindu, Jain, or bhuddist surname???? How is it that most Pakistanis have "Arab" "Persian" or "Turkic" surnames??? When Turks adopted Islam, they kept their surnames because it was their pride and lineage. But people in south asia opted to adopt the surnames of the conquers because it brought more prestige that's we have so many Khan's, Baig's, Malik's, Abbas's etc.
Im sure there are plenty of phonies. Heck my grand pa went after an imam masjid who he was sure not a Sayed. I am not going to speak for "most Pakistanis" but my own family. I fail to see even otherwise why it is not possible for a large number or people to migrate to the Indian way back.But like is said, to get involved in some ancestry directly is a hallmark of an unemployed and bored person which is most of the Pakistanis. I say that because I ve directly been subject to this question and in-person I'm know to tear a new one to retards who have the audacity to be so direct. Anyways, nice avatar. What hindu warrior is that? Regardless, I'm outta this thread!

• No Such thing as South Asian !
:coffee: Just a ploy to seperate Pakistan from Iran /Turkey

Yeah I really get irked when I hear people call Pakistan part of South Asia.

South Asia in my opinion should be everything between the Indian border and Southeast Asia.

Calling Pakistan South Asia is really stretching it because religion and writing style and tons of other major cultural influences as well as political and economic relations have much more in common with West Asia than South Asia. Literally half of Pakistan west of the Indus River has nothing to do with South Asia at all. South Asia as a geographic term is pretty misleading because it gives the impression that Pakistan is under the Indian sphere of influence politically and economically like Bangladesh or Sri Lanka which is not really the case.

Is Pakistan part of West Asia? Lot of people will disagree with me, but in my opinion yes it should be.

Pakistan's religion has a lot more common with West Asia than India
Pakistan's politics has a lot more common with West Asia than India
Pakistan's customs have a lot more common with West Asia than India
Pakistan's writing has a lot more common with West Asia than India
Pakistan's trade has a lot more common with West Asia than India

At some point, you have to wonder how many things you can have in common and not be a part of it.

As a Pakistani, visiting West Asian countries like Iran and Afghanistan feels more similar to Pakistan than India. People will disagree with me but that is how I have always felt. I could talk to people in India but it feels like an alien place. In Iran or Afghanistan, I am already fluent in both Urdu and Farsi so I basically do not feel any cultural difference between continuity across Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan, or West Asia or general. I do not deny there are differences between Pakistan and West Asia, but they are no bigger than differences between other West Asian countries. Pakistan is as different from Iran as Iran is from Turkey or Turkey is from Saudi Arabia. But all of them are in West Asia. I think Pakistanis have the false belief they have more in common with Indians because Urdu and Hindi are similar. Maybe because I can speak Farsi on top of Urdu, the differences between Pakistan and West Asia seem much smaller to me than to other Pakistanis since majority of things besides language are common. India looks like a completely alien place to me where very few things are common with Pakistan besides language which is cosmetic. Despite Farsi/Urdu/Hindi language differences, I feel more comfortable and relaxed in countries to the West of Pakistan than to the East. I have never understood why Pakistan is considered part of South Asia and not West Asia which has more in common.

What people do not understand is that Islam is not just a religion, it is a way of living that shapes every tiny aspect of your life. The Quran and Sunnah is an guide for how every Muslim should conduct themselves in daily life, and you can see these cultural similarities across Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Saudi, Turkey, Egypt, but not India. Islam profoundly shapes culture of a country unlike any other cultural influence. This is why a Pakistani can go as far as Lebanon or Egypt and already be familiar with a lot of the customs. When people say the only thing Pakistan has in common with West Asia is religion, it is Islam that forms a continuous link between people in Pakistan all the way to the Mediterranean and unites a diverse group of people with more similarities than differences. Pakistan may be next to India but religion was a big enough difference for us to demand a separate country. Pakistan's similarities with India are cosmetic, Pakistan's similarities with West Asia are reflected in strikingly similar culture, deep links, and Islamic tradition. Pakistan doesn't just have a lot in common with West Asia, for all intents and purposes, it has become a part of West Asia and Islam played a huge role in making that happen. The days of Pakistan being a part of South Asia really left with the British in 1947 and were gone for good after 1971.

Last edited:
I see, so this is your angle.

It is simply not correct, and you as a Pukhtoon should know this more than anyone.

I am not going to deny my Turkic Mughal part of my Rajput heritage to make you happy. We were part and parcel of the Mughal engine.
My father's paternal side is Yusufzai Khan
My father's maternal side is Kasmiri Butt
My mother's paternal side is Ozbeki Yuldashev
My mother's maternal side is Tajiki Odinaev

I claim heritage to only these 4 ancestries because I can prove them. I'm not going to go claiming Persian heritage because I'm part tajik, tajiks were persianised after the Islamic conquest, before that we were called sogdians. I know if i do a DNA test, I would have maybe 2-3% Iranian DNA, but that's it. But I won't go pretending to be Iranian. I claim only what I can prove and I don't claim a false lineage which I can't prove.

Can you prove your Turkic rajput heritage??? If not, then you are fooling yourself.

This thread is wastage of time

What do you think when Turks claim Pakistani empires and commonality with Pakistanis?

Note Ghaznavi and Mughal empirea.

16%2BTurkish%2BStates.jpg

In my interactions with Arabs and Turks, I realized that we are closer to them culturally and civilizationwise to the Non-Muslims of the subcontinent.

Some Afghan Pukhtoons really surprise me too, they are very similar to Pakistanis.
Go to any Western city in Europe or North America and show me one city where there is a community or Pakistani and Arabs living side by side. I've seen numerous neighborhoods of Pakistani and Indians living together but I've yet to see even one Pakistani Arab neighborhood in all my travels. And I've been to 51 countries so I can say that I've seen my fare share.

Pakistanis prefer living in a neighborhood where there are Indians because they feel more closer to them. There's not a single neighborhood in the UK where Arabs and Pakistanis or Turks and Pakistanis live together side by side. But there are hundreds of neighborhoods and communities of Pakistanis and Indians living together

It's not weird when people in this region have had a long history of concocting false lineages and heritages just to have more prestige in the society. If you think your forefathers weren't capable of doing that, then you are wrong.

People of Pakistan were hindus, Buddhists and jains before Islam arrived, but when's the last time you met a Pakistani who had a Hindu, Jain, or bhuddist surname???? How is it that most Pakistanis have "Arab" "Persian" or "Turkic" surnames??? When Turks adopted Islam, they kept their surnames because it was their pride and lineage. But people in south asia opted to adopt the surnames of the conquers because it brought more prestige that's we have so many Khan's, Baig's, Malik's, Abbas's etc.

It depends on what evidence a person has to support that they are from a particular lineage.

Family names and genealogical trees, language, culture, names of villages or towns where one's relatives resided or are residing, physical features, studying and reading, and sharing information with others, DNA, and supplicating to Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala can assist in determining one's ethnic racial origin.

I do agree that a lot of the sub-continent Sayyeds who claim to be from the noble Arab lineage are ingenuine. They accepted Islam and adopted the title Sayyed which has a meaning of master in the Arabic language.

Last edited:
Can't be done.Main target of qasim- sindhis.Main victims of ghazni - kabulshahi janjua rajputs and jat khakkars, converted afridis at point of sword,also burned lahore ,ghori and balban also campaigned extensively against kakkars.Timur and babur made skull pyramids out of tribal pathans.Abdali looted punjab bare annually.So where are the janujas and khakkars and yousufzais today?Not in india.History is a tricky thing.Best avoid it .

Neither of the two originated from within Pakistan. Both were invaders from central Asia. They are not your empires to be proud of.

What do you mean? people from current Pakistan fought and contributed to these empires. The longevity of an empire is closely aligned with the support and contribution of locals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom