What's new

[Starbucks Killer?] Luckin Coffee to have 2,000 stores by end of year

Luckin Coffee to open 10,000 stores by 2021

By Wang Zhuoqiong | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2019-05-29

5cee1e33a3104842e4aff2a0.jpeg

Starbucks' challenger in China – Luckin Coffee – vows to open 10,000 stores in the country by 2021. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]

Starbucks' challenger in China – Luckin Coffee – vows to open 10,000 stores in the country by 2021 and plans to expand its non-coffee sector in a move aimed at raising profitability, said its CEO on Wednesday.

Qian Zhiya, CEO of Luckin Coffee, told the audience at its global coffee industry forum that the 22-month-old retailer is going to add 8,000 new stores in about two years.

She said their store management system – propelled by technology and information system -- will boost their expansion. By doing so, it will break the bottlenecks of the catering industry that has heavily relied on store professionals, Qian added.

Luckin has 2,370 stores in 28 cities in China, mostly pickup stations. It sold 90 million cups of coffee in 2018 with heavy discounts.

Luckin reported a net revenue of 840.7 million yuan ($121.5 million) in 2018 and incurred a net loss of 1.62 billion yuan last year. During the first quarter of 2019, it posted net revenue of 478.5 million yuan and net loss of 551.8 million yuan. Qian said earlier they were expecting to continue their discount strategy for another three to five years.

With losses widening, concerns have been raised on long-term growth and profitability. Qian said their single cup cost has fallen to 13.3 yuan in the first quarter from 28 yuan of the same period last year. Its delivery proportion has declined from 61.7 percent to 27.7 percent in the first quarter this year compared with the year before.

Lu Zhengyao, chairman of Luckin, said Starbucks sells about 1 million cups of coffee in China every day and Luckin was closing the gap.

The market dominator Starbucks now has 3,800 stores in China and is going to open more than 6,000 stores by 2022.

There are very few Starbuck (around more than a dozen) in Hanoi.
It doesn't matter whether there is Starbucks or not.
There are many Starbucks in China. But I've never been to Starbucks.
I prefer tea to coffee. And for most Chinese, coffee is also dispensable.:P

Last edited:
Are they going to open up in the UK?

Starbucks is foooooking expensive

Luckin Coffee Embarks on Unstaffed Strategy as It Passes Rivals in Store Count
LIAO SHUMIN7

DATE : JAN 08 2020/SOURCE : YICAI

top.jpg

Luckin Coffee Embarks on Unstaffed Strategy as It Passes Rivals in Store Count

(Yicai Global) Jan. 8 -- Luckin Coffee is entering the unmanned retail market with the launch of its 'luckin coffee EXPRESS' smart unmanned coffee machine and 'luckin pop MINI' smart vending machine, the company announced at a strategy press conference in Beijing yesterday.

The Beijing-based upstart contender against global players Starbucks and Costa also stated that the number of its self-operated stores had reached 4,507 by the end of last year, which the company claimed makes it China's largest coffee chain by outlets.

It has over 40 million customers, it also said.

The firm's shares [NASDAQ:LK] rose 1.98 percent to USD35.11 yesterday.

By working closely with global suppliers and significantly reducing channel costs, Luckin Pop MINI terminals will enable the firm's customers to enjoy the convenience of vending machines and low e-commerce prices at the same time, Qian Zhiya, the company's chief executive, said in a statement.

Global suppliers to the coffee giant -- PepsiCo, Nestle, Fonterra, Yili Group, China Mengniu Dairy and nine others -- participated in the ceremony launching the company's unstaffed retail model.

https://yicaiglobal.com/news/luckin...d-strategy-as-it-passes-rivals-in-store-count

It doesn't matter whether there is Starbucks or not.
There are many Starbucks in China. But I've never been to Starbucks.
I prefer tea to coffee. And for most Chinese, coffee is also dispensable.:P

I have a start-up idea then. Make a fancy tea shop chain like Starbucks, people will buy it just because it's expensive and fancy.
Thats why people go to Starbucks.

Good. I hope Mc'donalds will be the next one to be kicked out.

I have a start-up idea then. Make a fancy tea shop chain like Starbucks, people will buy it just because it's expensive and fancy.
Thats why people go to Starbucks.
It's like selling mineral water at a high price. High chance of going bankrupt.

Their CEO was caught faking sales numbers. Apparently their sale revenue is only half of what it is reporting.

All the best to Luckin and I hope one day it will displace and kick out Starbuck from China, the sooner the better.:china:

31,256 stores- Worldwide- But competition is good-Will Luckin come out of China and take the challenge to be a global brand?

World-famous coffeehouse chain, Starbucks, accounted for 31,256 stores worldwide in 2019 – a figure that has almost doubled in the last decade. There were less international stores than those located in the company's home nation of the U.S. – these figures amounted to 15,041 and 13,189, respectively

Back
Top Bottom