What's new

Sri Lanka buying Al-Khalid Tanks from Pakistan

This article Published on November 19, 2010

Some stupid Indian members attacking me

The Island

Yeah of course the article is Published on November 19,2010. But what you did was delete an entire paragraph and spin the article as if Sri Lanka was buying Al Khalid tanks from Pakistan :azn:

here let me repost

I read the article, it seems SriLanka already bought (or planned to buy) AlKhalid tanks way back in 2008 to help in the war. The title is misleading

Sources said that in May 2008,the then Army Commander Lt. Gen Fonseka had visited Pakistan to finalise the purchase of high tech arms for the Sri Lankan armed forces, which were embroiled in an intense battle with the LTTE.

"The shopping list included 22 Al-Khalid tanks worth US$ 100 million and weaponry totalling about US$ 65 million. The inventory for the army was worth US$ 25 million and US$ 40 million for the Air Force. 250,000 rounds of mortar ammunition costing US$ 25 million and 150,000 hand grenades were also purchased on an urgent delivery basis.

Sri Lanka buying Al-Khalid Tanks from Pakistan

Enhanced defence cooperation between Pakistan and Sri Lanka is likely to be finalised during Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari’s three-day official visit to Sri Lanka, later this month.

Diplomatic and government sources said that there was a wide scope for enhanced military ties between the two nations and it would be explored during talks between Zardari and his Sri Lankan counterpart, President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

"With the defeat of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), the nature as well as scope of defence cooperation is bound to change somewhat, but in a broader sense it would include military training, intelligence sharing, arms supplies, etc.

Pakistan has already proposed a futuristic defence cooperation agreement. As one of the largest suppliers of high-tech military equipment, Pakistan played an important role in assisting Sri Lanka defeat the LTTE," source said.

Pakistan is said to have the largest conventional arms and ordnance facility, which provides several varieties of armaments for export. These include infantry weapons, anti-aircraft and artillery ammunition, tank and aircraft ammunition, rockets and aerial bombs.

////part removed by Sri Lankan :rofl:////

"The shopping list included 22 Al-Khalid tanks worth US$ 100 million and weaponry totalling about US$ 65 million. The inventory for the army was worth US$ 25 million and US$ 40 million for the Air Force. 250,000 rounds of mortar ammunition costing US$ 25 million and 150,000 hand grenades were also purchased.

Last year one ship weaponry loads was sent to Sri Lanka every 12 days to bolster the assault on the LTTE’s headquarters in Killinochchi," he said.

Talks between Zadari and Rajapaksa, would also cover trade, investment, economic cooperation, tourism, culture and media, the sources said.
The Island

OMFG
SriLankan you conveniently (deliberately?) deleted this part from the article

Sources said that in May 2008,the then Army Commander Lt. Gen Fonseka had visited Pakistan to finalise the purchase of high tech arms for the Sri Lankan armed forces, which were embroiled in an intense battle with the LTTE

:rolleyes:

In other words There was talk of such a deal way back in 2008 when Foneka was in charge. Now he's in prison, no deal no tanks (btw I never criticized the Pakistan defense Industry). Im just pointing to the manipulation of this post to give a false impression !

This was the original title of the article:

Enhanced Sri Lanka-Pakistan defence cooperation likely

http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=11642

Last edited:
This seems good news but shouldn't SL focus on light tanks and APCs since it is an island country? IMO it should focus more on Navy and Air force since island countries' strongest points are its Naval and air power.

Heavy battle tanks are of little use especially considering SL's geography (lots of greenery and heavy tropical flora). Does Pakistan make light tanks? Maybe SL can buy those for limited urban use in case of anything wrong within the country.

But I feel that SL should buy more fighters and warships than land attack heavy machinery.

Why did you delete a para from the news?? Is there any reason behind that?

I heard about SL buying Al Khalid way back in 2008 after that now. Good to see SL upgrading with newer weapons.

Sri Lanka Army will display its Al Khalid Tanks in the Independent day celebrations for 2011

I will post pictures then you can see our Al Khalid Tanks

Sri Lanka Army will display its Al Khalid Tanks in the Independent day celebrations for 2011

That was not the answer.

You can do whatever you wish to, I am not asking you not to do that but reply the question as well. Why did you delete a para from the news?? Is there any reason behind that?

Sri Lankan said:

Ummm yeah... just like the pics you posted about visiting new delhi airport (which were lifted from newspapers) or the pics about your computer being hacked (googled "computer hacked")

Good luck with that :wave:

Sri Lanka defence secretary regularly visits Pakistan

20090126_PV04.jpg

gotabaya_rajapaksa_pakistan.jpg

799.jpg

really glad to hear that!

Congratulations to both Pakistan & Sri Lanka!

Godspeed!

Pakistani Army Commander hosts dinner to share jubilation of LTTE defeat

Genral Ashfaq Parvez Kayani , Chief of Army Staff in Pakistan and Begum Ashfaq Parvez Kayani hosted a dinner “to share the jubilation with” their “Sri Lankan friends on their historic victory against LTTE.”at the Army House, the official residence of the Commander in Islamabad.

Pakistan’s Sri Lanka High Commissioner former Air Chief Vice Marshall Jayalath Weerakkody and his wife were the chief guests at this state dinner.

General Kayani said he, the government, the armed forces of Pakistan and the people of Pakistan were glad to be able to share the jubilation of Sri Lanka to crush terrorism in the island nation. He said Sri Lanka had been Pakistan’s very close friend for the last so many years and Pakistan was particularly proud about Sri Lanka’s immense victory.

While conveying his good wishes to Sri Lanka’s armed forces General Kayani said he is confident the strong cooperation existing at present could be even made stronger in the future.

Replying Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner Jayalath Weerakkody said Sri Lanka and Pakistan political and defence wise enjoy the best of mutual relations. Even back in 1996, when Sri Lanka faced tremendous difficulties militarily in quelling the strong militaristic terrorism , aimed both at the armed forces and police as well as unarmed civilians Pakistan helped the island nation without imposing any conditions.

The credit, said Weerakkody , should go to the government, the armed forces and the people of Pakistan. He said, the help rendered was more precious as it was rendered in the midst of some international opposition. He said, he was confident the military relationship would improve in the future.

The High Commissioner said during 20 years Sri Lanka became the highest recipient of Pakistani help training about 5300 armed forces personnel and receiving military hardware.

Pakistani Army Commander hosts dinner to share jubilation of LTTE defeat Sinhale Hot News

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

pakistan-dinner-1.jpg

All-weather relations with Pakistan

:cheers:

Met lots of sri lankan officiers nd their families.....while by father was instructing in Artillery School,Nowshehra,Pakistan......... nice people...... infact i made a sri lankan friend his father was a major in the sri lankan army(doing a course).... used to go fishin in kabul river, hanging out in Zamzama etc..... i think he was from kandy, showed me pics of elephants on roads,lots of greenry.

Good to see Pakistan sri lanka realtions grow stronger by the day!:pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom