What's new

Spot-fixing/Match-fixing scandal

Err my cerebral cortex is being used quite fine, please re-read and connect the dots better yourself.

1) NOTW has STATED it sent the email to its editors and legal advisors - all NOTW staff. That means they sent an email within the company?

The mail doesn't leave their enterprise mailing server for internal emails. Please read up on how email servers work, I can't give you a lesson on email servers on a forum right now.

A mail being sent from an NOTW employee to another NOTW employee would've been internally routed by their enterprise server(s).

Now if and only if, NOTW employee used Hotmail or Gmail to send the email, then those time stamps can be deemed reliable since its a mail server upon which NOTW has no control.

2) There is no mention of the "likelihood" you're stating and again you're being speculative while I'm being factual. If you have the facts and the counter arguments please state them.

Sorry for the insult about cerebral cortex. My bad, I thought you were referring to mail sent out to people outside. Yea, I do know how mail servers work and usually internal mails aren't routed out. I don't think that NOTW employees would have used gmail or hotmail.

But if something was sent out to ALL NOTW staff after instead of before the incident, don't you think that someone would have come out.

Anyway, I need to re-read the whole article again. I think I've misinterpreted something.

It was always on my mind that Afridi left test cricket captaincy for some good reason , Now it make sense that he knew that his team is sold out.

Last edited:
Afridi is right.

These so called talented "youngsters" are actually 15 or 16 in their heads. They just don't know how to carry themselves as ambassadors of the country. Bunch of retards.

Someone recently gave statement about the ill mental condition of Pakistani players. I guess he was right.

I did some read up and indeed you can change the timestamps in request header from mail server. But for that to be successful you need to sync the time of all the clients with mail server, or they need to use an exclusive mail server for this transaction only.

Don't think it's very feasible option.

Last edited:
In his statement, Hameed said that after discussing sponsorship deals, the man he knew by the name of Abid Khan, offered him a sum of £25,000 to give a statement against his three team-mates who found themselves at the centre of the spot-fixing controversy to which Hameed said, he, "immediately refused and put the phone down. I was neither called nor answered any calls from Abid after this conversation."

Hameed says his last dealings with Abid Khan came in the form of a text message which read: "Pls call me. Incidentally you are in video drinking wine and saying all the quotes attributed to you. Denying it is just stupid as we will be releasing the video on tv. Better that you stand up and speak the truth".

In his statement, Hameed also published the phone number from where the text message was sent, but when ESPNcricinfo dialled it, it was directed to the Metropolitan Police control room. A spokesman for Scotland Yard suggested that the number had been put on call-divert by the owner of the mobile phone, and confirmed that it was not coming through to an emergency hotline. The spokesman also added that the matter would be looked into.

Spot-fixing controversy: Yasir Hameed denies newspaper revelations that he was offered £150,000 | Cricket News | England v Pakistan 2010 | Cricinfo.com

That sounds like blackmail and paying someone to say lies to support a particular 'story'.

Some of us were already pointing out yesterday that the Hameed video looked suspicious, now there is confirmation. So the question now is that if NOTW was willing to pay 25,000 pounds to Hameed to slander his teammates, then it would be reasonable to approach their other video and claims with some skepticism as well.

I did some read up and indeed you can change the timestamps in request header from mail server. But for that to be successful you need to sync the time of all the clients with mail server, or they need to use an exclusive mail server for this transaction only.

Don't think it's very feasible option.

Playing Devils Advocate - if Mazhar had set up the entire thing and knew before hand what story he wanted (as in the case of Hameed, where he allegedly sought to bribe Hameed to slander his teammates), then he was essentially working from a 'script'.

If he was working from a pre-determined 'script', then he knew what his email would be about before the events took place, and he could have merely sent out an email detailing events as they were planned to happen. The time stamp would be authentic, but the contents of the email would refer to events yet to happen, but that had been scripted to occur in that manner.

In his statement, Hameed said that after discussing sponsorship deals, the man he knew by the name of Abid Khan, offered him a sum of £25,000 to give a statement against his three team-mates who found themselves at the centre of the spot-fixing controversy to which Hameed said, he, "immediately refused and put the phone down. I was neither called nor answered any calls from Abid after this conversation."

Hameed says his last dealings with Abid Khan came in the form of a text message which read: "Pls call me. Incidentally you are in video drinking wine and saying all the quotes attributed to you. Denying it is just stupid as we will be releasing the video on tv. Better that you stand up and speak the truth".

In his statement, Hameed also published the phone number from where the text message was sent, but when ESPNcricinfo dialled it, it was directed to the Metropolitan Police control room. A spokesman for Scotland Yard suggested that the number had been put on call-divert by the owner of the mobile phone, and confirmed that it was not coming through to an emergency hotline. The spokesman also added that the matter would be looked into.

Spot-fixing controversy: Yasir Hameed denies newspaper revelations that he was offered £150,000 | Cricket News | England v Pakistan 2010 | Cricinfo.com

That sounds like blackmail and paying someone to say lies to support a particular 'story'.

Some of us were already pointing out yesterday that the Hameed video looked suspicious, now there is confirmation. So the question now is that if NOTW was willing to pay 25,000 pounds to Hameed to slander his teammates, then it would be reasonable to approach their other video and claims with some skepticism as well.

The only confirmation of suspicions is a denial by Hameed who allegedly said those words and if he really did, would have been given a dressing down by the management.

So its like his word against NOWT and a video tape. No prize for guessing whose word carries more credibility at this time

Its unfortunate though that in media trials like this, it becomes more of guilty till proven innocent.

Playing Devils Advocate - if Mazhar had set up the entire thing and knew before hand what story he wanted (as in the case of Hameed, where he allegedly sought to bribe Hameed to slander his teammates), then he was essentially working from a 'script'.

If he was working from a pre-determined 'script', then he knew what his email would be about before the events took place, and he could have merely sent out an email detailing events as they were planned to happen. The time stamp would be authentic, but the contents of the email would refer to events yet to happen, but that had been scripted to occur in that manner.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Also if (and its a big if) NOTW is doing all this extensive fabrication to frame the Pakistani cricketers (wonder why), they definitely would have a solid ground work in place.. Much more solid than what can be shaken with simple date matches and video tape forensics.

ICC cricket fixing inquiry includes fourth mystery player

Pakistan-cricketer-Yasir--005.jpg

Pakistan cricketer Yasir Hameed has denied telling the News of the World that his teammates were corrupt. Photograph: Carl Court/AFP/Getty Images

The first meeting between Pakistan and England since fixing allegations plunged cricket into crisis began under appropriately dark skies in Cardiff today, amid claims the International Cricket Council's fixing inquiry had been widened to include a fourth player.

After last week charging and suspending the three players at the centre of the alleged betting scam – Test captain Salman Butt, fast bowler Mohammad Asif, and highly regarded teenager Mohammad Amir – the ICC said it would not comment further on any ongoing investigation.

It is understood that the ICC has written to Pakistan wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal in connection with a separate inquiry that does not relate to the current tour. However, there is no suggestion that he is the mystery fourth player claimed to be under investigation by reports tonight.

The three players are likely to appeal against the provisional suspension imposed last week under the ICC's code, which will see them unable to play for months while its investigation takes place.

But new claims by the News of the World that opening Test batsman Yasir Hameed had claimed fixing was rife among his teammates were immediately called into question by the player and Pakistan media outlets that said he had been asked leading questions and mistranslated.

Hameed, who did not play today and is not in the one day squad, said he had not given any interview – the exchange was filmed by an undercover reporter posing as a potential sponsor – and that he had not alleged any Pakistan player was guilty of match fixing.

"They were doing it in almost every match," Hameed was quoted as saying. "God knows what they were up to. Scotland Yard was after them for ages."

But Hameed said he was merely admitting that the players had discussed the allegations.

"I was approached by this guy about a deal for sticker sponsorship on my bat. It was a general discussion and I just repeated what had already been published in the News of the World," said Hameed.

"I was tricked into this interview, I never knew they were recording it, which is a serious offence and I am talking to the Pakistan team management about it."

The batsman was today summoned to see the Pakistan high commissioner and Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ijaz Butt and is believed to be considering the possibility of legal action.

The ICC could still investigate Hameed for his claim that he was approached by a middle man during the Champions Trophy in 2004, which under the commission's code should have been reported to anti-corruption investigators.

Police interviewed the three Pakistan players, alleged to have agreed to bowl no balls at specific moments of the fourth Test at Lord's, under caution on Friday before releasing them without condition or charge.

They are examining phone calls and text messages between the three and middle man Mazhar Majeed, as well as looking to link money found in their possession to £150,000 handed over by the News of the World. All three players maintain their innocence. Majeed was arrested and bailed a week ago.

ICC cricket fixing inquiry includes fourth mystery player | Sport | The Guardian

The only confirmation of suspicions is a denial by Hameed who allegedly said those words and if he really did, would have been given a dressing down by the management.

So its like his word against NOWT and a video tape. No prize for guessing whose word carries more credibility at this time

Its unfortunate though that in media trials like this, it becomes more of guilty till proven innocent.

The tape itself, even heavily edited by NOTW, supports Hameed's version. The same part that CricInfo focuses on was pointed out by us yesterday, where he refers to 'reports say this'. He has now come out himself and clarified even further that everything was based on the NOTW reports themselves.

At no point does Hameed make any clear cut statements suggesting he had first hand knowledge of any fixing by his teammates.

Pakistan match-fixing claims: Yasir Hameed facing ACU interview over claims

Yasir Hameed, the Pakistan batsman, faces being interviewed by the Anti-Corruption Unit as part of its match-fixing investigation, but his reliability as a witness was called into question on Sunday by his own team-mates.

The ACU detectives will be free to talk to Hameed as he is not part of the criminal investigation being carried out by Scotland Yard and it is likely he will be asked to explain comments made on film to an undercover reporter at the weekend during which he stated Pakistan were “fixing almost every match”.

Hameed’s comments added to the pressure around the Pakistan squad who are potentially facing the prospect of another player being charged by the ICC this week. It was revealed on Sunday that a fourth Pakistani cricketer was being investigated for match-fixing.

“We want to be prompt and decisive on this matter,” said Haroon Lorgat, the chief executive of the ICC. “It is not something we want to drag our heels on and as soon as we are in a position to make charges and disclosures we will do so.”

Hameed’s nickname within the Pakistan team is ‘Bacha’, which means child in Urdu, and his naivety in talking with such openness to a complete stranger just days after the story of spot-fixing during the Lord’s Test broke is startling.

“He (Hameed) is 30-31 but mentally he is 15-16,” said Shahid Afridi, the Pakistan one-day captain. “I don’t know who he was sitting with or in what situation he gave this message but we have know him for a long time. We know we can expect anything from him and he does this kind of thing. People know what type of character he is.”

Hameed, who played in the third and fourth Tests but is not in the one-day squad, was summoned to the Pakistan High Commission in London on Sunday for a meeting with Ijaz Butt, the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board. Hameed later issued an affidavit through the High Commission claiming his comments to the News of the World were simply a repeat of the allegations made against Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir, and Mohammad Asif that had already been reported by the media. He claims he was duped into talking to the newspaper’s investigative journalist, Mazher Mahmood, believing him to be a sponsor offering a £50,000 deal with the airline Etihad.
He said two days later the same man called him and offered £25,000 to give a statement against the three players under investigation, which he refused.

Hameed then claimed to have received a text threatening to expose him drinking wine during the interview, a potentially damaging allegation against a Muslim during the month of Ramadan. The statement claims the text read: “Please call me. Incidentally you are in video drinking wine and saying all the quotes. Denying it is just stupid and we will be releasing the video to TV. Better that you just stand up and speak the truth.”

Hameed’s statement gave the mobile phone number which sent the message. When called, the number diverted to the Metropolitan Police adding to the sense of madness around this case.

Hameed is shown on the hidden camera speaking casually about the case against the Pakistan team but goes further claiming he lost his place in the team because he refused to become involved in match-fixing. “They offered me handsome money,” Hameed is shown saying. “I would’ve come to you in a Ferrari now. I mean there is enough so that your desires are fulfilled...buy a car, that is how much money they were giving. Man, they’ve offered big, big money. Up to £150,000” He said the approach was made during the Champions Trophy in 2004.

It is an offence under the ICC’s code of conduct for a player not to report a suspicious approach which would give the ACU enough reason to interview Hameed.

The idea of a match-fixing amnesty was put forward by the Professional Cricketers’ Association as a way of persuading more players to come forward with what could be valuable information.
“This is the kind of thing that we need to consider if what we are trying to do is to root things out properly,” said Angus Porter, chief executive of the PCA. “It is not a firm proposal, just a suggestion that somebody may wish to take up as something that might be necessary as a way of helping to sort out the problem.”

If Hameed is contacted by the ACU he may have to face an independent commissioner who the ICC plan to appoint to head what will be the biggest ever probe into corruption in cricket.

Pakistan match-fixing claims: Yasir Hameed facing ACU interview over claims - Telegraph

Regarding Yasir Hamid we can't say this ideo evidence as INTERVIEW. Its a normal gosip between two friends and he himself denied this and the video has many cuttings. We should sport our player until they found guilty.

Regards,
FE
Hamaisha Kush Raho :)

It can be true, but then Pakistani players also played their parts of the script, and except Aameer rest of the folks are pretty grown up to do such foolish things for money.

With the offering of 25k to Hameed, this blows the case wide open

Back
Top Bottom