What's new

Spot-fixing/Match-fixing scandal

'Pakistan have won the toss and decided to bet'

morons like match fixers, can born in any team and in any country. lots of players got accused and banned for life in past from other teams too. So just keep this humiliation to these specific individuals, DON'T bring it to country level. Sadly entire world is humiliating our beloved country, but we shouldn't do the same at least.

morons like match fixers, can born in any team and in any country. lots of players got accused and banned for life in past from other teams too. So just keep this humiliation to these specific individuals, DON'T bring it to country level. Sadly entire world is humiliating our beloved country, but we shouldn't do the same at least.

Thats the attitude people should have about this incident.

Match fixers can be in any team...and this incident is not about Pakistan but a few people not doing their duty properly.

^ sarcasm re, Rameez Raja also said 'Pakistan ha best betting line up'

why-so-serious-300x300.jpg

Asian cricket betting rings directly funding al-Qaida terrorism
London, Sept.6 (ANI): Shady Asian cricket betting rings are reported to be directly funding al-Qaida terrorism.

The new accusations have alarmed Britain's security services. Muslim extremists are deeply rooted in Pakistan's shady underworld, with criminal activity bolstering their coffers.

"The case involving the three Pakistani players has initially been traced back to an Indian betting ring, but the tentacles of this operation extend into Pakistan and beyond.There are huge sums of money to be made terror groups like al-Qaida are always keen to get in on the act," The Daily Express quoted a security source, as saying.(ANI)

Yasir Hameed statement

Following the latest match-fixing allegations to emerge on Sunday, Yasir Hameed attended the Pakistan High Commission in London to explain his comments. He spent four hours with officials before issuing this statement

I would like to respond to comments attributed to me by the News of the World today. I wish to stress I have never been approached by the NOTW and neither did I approach anyone connected with the News of the World to disclose any allegations concerning the Pakistan cricket team or any other players.

The incident which was largely inaccurately reported in the News of the World today was when I was having dinner with a friend at the Holiday Inn Nottingham on the evening of Monday 30th August 2010. I was then approached by a man who introduced himself as Abid Khan and offered that he would arrange a sponsorship deal for me with ETIHAD Airways. I have now seen a photograph of the so called Abid Khan and have discovered that he is Mazhar Mahmood.

Naturally I was interested in what he had to say and we began conversation. He offered me at least £50,000 for the deal, which was for 6"x3" ETIHAD sticker at the back of the cricket bat plus TV and billboard advertisements in the UAE. He also asked me for names of 4 more players who may be interested in a similar deal I thought of Umar Gul, Shahid Afridi, Umar Akmal and Fawad Alam.

I also called Umar Gul during this conversation to tell him about this potential contract deal and he agreed that I should continue with the negotiations. Then Abid Khan started asking about the current match fixing allegations and as I saw him as a friend and a potential agent I naively started to answer his questions. He asked me about the match fixing allegations against the current 3 Pakistani players and if I had any further knowledge. As far as I can recall I only told him whatever I had already read in the newspapers about this matter.

It seems that Abid had a hidden camera which I was totally unaware of. I then left the hotel with my friend and came back to where I was staying. Two days later Abid then called me and offered me £25,000 to give a statement against the 3 current players under investigation, which I immediately refused and put the phone down. I neither called nor answered any calls from Abid after this conversation. When News of the World released my conversation, which Abid Khan recorded without me knowing about it, I was contacted by the media in Pakistan to confirm if I gave the statement to the NOTW, I denied categorically as explained above that this was not the case. Subsequently, I received a text message from Abid Khan from his number 0** **** ***6, which I found to be intimidating as reflected in his message reproduced below:

"Pls call me. Incidentally you are in video drinking wine and saying
all the quotes attributed to you. Denying it is just stupid as we will
be releasing the video to tv. Better that you stand up and speak the
truth!!!!."

However, I decided not to respond or react. I brought the matter to the attention of PCB.

Geoffrey Boycott: Mohammad Amir plea bargain might unlock truth behind claims

"People close to the Pakistan investigation say that the three players might not have committed a criminal offence, because you can't lay bets on no-balls in the UK. But I will tell you this – what they did looks like a crime against cricket. And if there is no firm response from the Anti-Corruption and Security Unit, we might as well disband it.

As for the Pakistan High Commissioner, he should get off his high horse. Spot-fixing cannot be condoned. There is no conspiracy against Pakistan here, and by claiming that he is "100 per cent convinced" that the players are innocent, he is not looking at the evidence.

I am particularly concerned about the size of the no-balls sent down by Mohammad Amir. Professional cricketers play the game within small fractions. It is hard to see how he could have run up and bowled a no-ball by 12 inches without realising he is going to overstep. In normal circumstances, he would know at least two strides before he gets to the crease, and would abort his run-up.

As for the captain, he is the person who decides who will bowl the next over. So if the fixer is saying "the third ball of the first over", the bowler can't do it without having the captain onside. The evidence looks so bad that, whatever the police make of this case, the ACSU will be under pressure to take strong action. Within the disciplinary hearings, the burden of proof might as well be reversed: it is up to the players to prove themselves innocent.

Because it is so crucial for cricket, I think the ACSU should offer Mohammed Amir a plea bargain. Tell us the truth about what took place and he can get off with a lighter sentence. If he won't play ball, then make an example of him. I feel for Amir, because any 18-year-old is likely to get dragged along by his seniors. But I still believe that he deserves a lengthy ban – seven years, perhaps – if he is shown to have bowled no-balls to order. As for the others, they should be treated even more harshly, because they have no excuse.
It is no coincidence that Pakistan are repeatedly implicated in these scandals, because they never deal with them properly. People might get suspended or banished from the team, but within a few months the regime changes, and they are back again, as if nothing had happened.

We saw a typical example with Mohammad Yousuf on this very tour. I am not saying that he was kicked out for match-fixing – we don't really know – but that the to-ing and fro-ing was typical of Pakistan cricket. One minute he's in disgrace, the next he's on the field.

Now look at the Indians and their response to the revelations surrounding the Hansie Cronjé affair 10 years ago. Mohammad Azharuddin and Manoj Prabhakar were among the players implicated. They were never convicted in a criminal case, but the Indian board was strong. They never played for India again, nor did Ajay Jadeja, even though his ban was quashed in 2003. The selectors cannot be forced to pick people they don't want to pick. Having these sort of players in your dressing-room can damage the team's morale, as well as its credibility.

Pakistan must join the rest of the cricket world in deploring what happened at Lord's. There is no point them trying to turn a blind eye.

The PCB has been treated with a lot of sympathy since the terrorist attacks, just over 18 months ago, which meant that they were unable to host international cricket. But that will dry up very quickly if they fail to address what has been going on. No one will want to host their matches.

Shakespeare wrote that Caesar's wife must be above reproach. The same must be true of cricket. And that means dealing harshly with anyone who casts a shadow on it. If the ACSU aren't prepared to take this case seriously, they should hand this case over to the former players – people like myself, Ian Botham and Michael Holding, who played tough, competitive cricket throughout our careers. I can promise you, we wouldn't mess about."

Last edited:
Now look at the Indians and their response to the revelations surrounding the Hansie Cronjé affair 10 years ago. Mohammad Azharuddin and Manoj Prabhakar were among the players implicated. They were never convicted in a criminal case, but the Indian board was strong. They never played for India again, nor did Ajay Jadeja, even though his ban was quashed in 2003. The selectors cannot be forced to pick people they don't want to pick. Having these sort of players in your dressing-room can damage the team's morale, as well as its credibility.

Pakistan must join the rest of the cricket world in deploring what happened at Lord's. There is no point them trying to turn a blind eye.

Very right. I just wonder if PCB is corrupt itself then who would take the action. :blink::blink:

Cricket-Pakistan tax authorities to look into players assests​

The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) will investigate the total assets of the Pakistan cricketers, team officials and top-ranking paid officials of the Pakistan Cricket Board, a senior tax official said on Monday.

Israr Rauf, who is a member and director of tax in the FBR, told Reuters that regional income tax offices had been told to file reports on the assets of the Pakistan players and offcials.

He said the investigations were separate from the Scotland Yard inquiry in Britain into corruption allegations.

Test captain Salman Butt and pace bowlers Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir have been suspended by the International Cricket Council after reports in The News of the World newspaper.

"It is not linked directly to the spot-fixing scandal but, yes, we have taken note of media reports about the players building palatial bungalows and acquiring farmland," Rauf said.

"Every person whose income is above 500,000 rupees ($5,800) has to file a wealth tax return and we compare that with our own data and, if required, hold an audit to verify assets," he said.

Rauf said that the FBR would accumulate details of the players' income and compile details of the players' sources of income, vehicles, plots, farmlands, bungalows, national/ international bank accounts and movable/non-movable assets.

The News of the World also released a video of Pakistan batsman Yasir Hameed on Sunday in which he claims that some players had have built up property and assets that included more than one bungalow through fixing matches.

The FBR has also asked its regional income tax offices to get details of incomes and assets of captains, coaches, managers, commentators, selectors and other office-holders in the national team and board for the past five years.

Cricket-Pakistan tax authorities to look into players assests - Yahoo! Eurosport

Sounds about right you can't make income on side with out paying the biggest chor group a.k.a government

Back
Top Bottom