What's new

Spot-fixing/Match-fixing scandal

Asim 1 can easily generate new time stamp, example set system date to same date they NOTW claimed bet took place, all they have to do is get a video convertor, and convert Mazhar_majeed.avi to any new video format, same format will also do, all you have to choose is 'Save as' on new storage media/PC.

Mechanical Hard Drives are dated technology, we have moved on to SSDs (solid-state drives), what if they stored video on NAND Flash memory ? How to calculate the rate of decay in strength then ?

:undecided:
It's a common mis-conception that SSD has some circuitry that defines memory.

NAND based flash chips have a finite amount of re-programmable gated operations and these are kept alive by capacitors on the board. So there is still degradation of data.

About your date-time stamp, as I said IF the datetime stamp IS before the no balls then we will get into the forensics part of the investigation to confirm if it wasn't manually changed.

asslam alaikum,

if proven guilty all of them should be punished even aamer to make an example otherwise after 5 years we will be having young guys doing the same. no one should be spared if proven guilty but dont jump nothing have established yet.

TARIQ

Butt a liar, his defence a joke: Rameez Raja

LONDON: Former Pakistan captain Rameez Raja has called Salman Butt a "liar" and ridiculed the suspended cricketer's defence against allegations of 'spot-fixing' as a "big joke".

"Salman Butt's claims are a joke, a big joke. If you are implicated, you've got to come out straight away and say, 'I've not done this, I don't care what the allegations are, I'm not involved and that is the truth'," Raja told 'The News of the World', which has exposed the scam with a sting operation.

"He has not done that, he has come across as a big liar. I am so heavily and thoroughly disappointed by Pakistan's captain," he added.

Raja said for any match to be fixed, captain's involvement has to be there and Test skipper Butt cannot claim innocence in the face of some damning evidence produced by the newspaper.

"You look at match-fixing and the captain has to be crooked, they've got to be involved, along with some of the major players in the team, for it to happen," he said.

"It all depends on the captain. The way it was told in the paper '10th over, sixth ball' it actually did happen. It's up to the captain to ensure the bowler is still operating in the 10th over," he added.

Raja said he considered Butt a sensible cricketer but his actions have left him disappointed.

"I thought Butt was intelligent enough to understand the importance of leading Pakistan and setting an example.

"This is going to hurt Pakistan cricket. We have become a laughing stock. These players have brought shame on Pakistan's history. They have been caught in the act. Nothing can detract from that fact," he said.

Butt and pacers Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamir were suspended by the ICC after the sting operation, which showed a bookie boasting about how he bribed them to bowl no-balls during last week's Lord's Test against England.

Butt a liar, his defence a joke: Rameez Raja - Top Stories - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India

Aamer was in grip of evil, ICC should be lenient: Atherton - Top Stories - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India

Do agree with Atherton, Aameer should be given second chance even if proved guilty. I want to see more cricket from this guy.
:disagree::angry:

Just because he is a good bowler doesn't mean he is allow to cheat.....

If he proven guilty he should be ban for life, I am totally disappointed by Athertonand and disagree by his comment,it will be disaster for cricket in future. No cheat should be left without punishment otherwise coming generation may feel free to do it again and this fire may reach other country also...

Pakistan must prove they are not a sick joke
ANDY DUNN
04/09/2010

IF THE Pakistan cricket authorities are looking for a good lawyer to defend their players against the ICC corruption charges, may I suggest Bob Massingberd.

I will let Captain Blackadder wistfully encapsulate Mr Massingberd's qualities.

"I remember Massingberd's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdered body, he had the knife in his hand, 13 witnesses had seen him stab the victim and when the police arrived he said: 'I'm glad I killed the b******.' Massingberd not only got him off, but got him knighted in the New Year's Honours list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket."

Still, Pakistani officials blindly defend Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir, and Mohammad Asif.

Leading the ludicrous rearguard action is Wajid Shamsul Hasan.

If he is Pakistan's High Commissioner, I dread to think what the Low Commissioner is like.

This is all a set-up, he ranted. The video was made after the no-balls. The charges are premature. If nothing else, Hasan is comedy gold.

Don't worry, here comes Pakistani team manager Yasser Saaed to the rescue - a guy with an uncanny resemblance to Alan Whicker and most definitely in his own world.

"I have made the decision to leave them (the three accused) out."

This at the same time as Hasan was speaking of the trio, claiming they had been asked to be excused because of 'mental torture'.

The only mental torture was inflicted by the characters who somehow have a say in the running of Pakistani cricket.

PCB chairman Ijaz Butt sat there and claimed the media had 'levelled charges without any truth'.

Maybe I'm biased but the evidence looked pretty compelling to me.

The Pakistani authorities have slipped into their tried and trusted fallback mode. Conspiracy theories.

There is a willingness to help Pakistan cricket in troubled times.

That is what the ICC's Task Force was set up for.

That is why the English Cricket Board have provided a safe haven for a team unable to fulfil its home fixtures because of security concerns. But Pakistan cricket has to help itself first. It doesn't do that by conjuring up fanciful tales of skullduggery.

There is no tangled web of intrigue behind this story.

This is a shameful saga with few complications. Men cheat. Men sell their integrity for a few bucks. Men have no shame. That is the story. Full-stop.

Don't for one minute give me all the bull about impoverished backgrounds and peer pressure.

Rich or poor, Pakistani or English, the difference between good and bad remains the same.

The difference between moral and immoral does not have any class caveats, does not have any financial code. Down-at-heel or well-to-do, you're either willing to cheat or you're not. These guys were willing to cheat.

But you know what? This was actually an opportunity for Pakistani cricket to make a stance.

To prove it no longer wants to be a sick joke told by backstreet bookies, that it wants to be a sport that has been dragged kicking and screaming into an ethical world.

The Pakistani executives should have announced their own stringent inquiry into the affair - not just hauled in the three accused for a cup of tea, listened to them plead their innocence and then declare... it's all a fit-up.

And, of course, while investigations continue, this team should not be playing cricket. Sunday's game in Cardiff is already a farce. For that, the ECB - and its laughably pompous chief Giles Clarke - should take a share of the blame.

It is clear that the financial cost of scrapping the rest of the tour was uppermost in ECB minds when they campaigned for it to continue.

But maybe we should have expected that from an organisation that became so enamoured of financial gain that it hopped into bed with Allen Stanford - a man now awaiting trial on fraud charges.

Overall, the ECB have handled the situation reasonably well - apart from allowing the charade that is the current Pakistan cricket set-up to continue playing here. Pakistan have brought in Asad Shafiq and 7ft 1in fast bowler Mohammad Irfan (another one of their tall stories) to bolster their squad.

They resisted the temptation to call up Danish Kaneira, probably because he has to attend Chelmsford Police Station on September 15 where he will be further questioned over allegations of, yes, spot-fixing in a county game.

At least the ICC acted decisively, if not somewhat belatedly. Sir Ronnie Flanagan and Haroon Lorgat exuded calm authority at Lord's on Friday.

But one thing underpinned the hour-long press conference. Flanagan's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit does not have enough power to tackle a problem that his predecessor Paul Condon described as a 'rash'.

It is not sanctioned to mount the sort of investigation carried out by this newspaper.

It has a confidential hotline which people can ring with whispers of chicanery. It's like going into battle with a balloon on a stick.

Cricket has to give more power to people such as Flanagan if it is serious about weeding out the cheats and charlatans.

And if Pakistan wants to be taken seriously in the world of cricket, if it wants help in its time of greatest need, it should co-operate in a spirit of openness and contrition.

Not fudge the issue and not concoct bizarre yarns to shield the three men who have been caught with the knives in their hands.

IF THE Pakistan cricket authorities are looking for a good lawyer to defend their players against the ICC corruption charges, may I suggest Bob Massingberd. | News Of The World

Proof it wasn't 'set up'

Already Answered before, here I'll post it again:

HC Hasan - "It could have been dated before the match or after the match, or at a different time. Do you have answers to these questions? "

NOTW - No chance, Mr Hasan. We have cast-iron proof with timed evidence from e-mails, text messages, phone records, videos and receipts.
How do Emails, Text messages, phone records prove that, those videos were shot before the no balls?

We have dated receipts showing our reporters picked up £140,000 from a London travel agents and took a hired car to the London hotel where our undercover Investigations Editor Mazher Mahmood met match fixer Mazhar Majeed to hand over the cash.
Again, a receipt of picking up the cash is different from a receipt of handing over the cash.

Police possess CCTV footage from the hotel showing Mahmood and Majeed arriving separately for the meeting on August 25.
Majeed and Mahmood had been schmoozing around for a lot while longer than when the alleged transaction was amde.

At 9.53pm, Majeed texted Mahmood asking: "Boss can we meet at 10.30 pls". Five minutes later he sent another asking: "Which hotel?"
A claim not captured in the videos.

We videoed the handover and later Mahmood e-mailed our Editor Colin Myler, company lawyer Tom Crone and the news editor to brief them on what had happened.

His e-mail is timed at 01:24 on August 26 - nine- and-a-half hours BEFORE the Lord's Test was due to begin.
This is also between NOTW staff and not captured on the video.

They could have held a dated third party newspaper in front of the videos, a trick that has been used in movies since forever and is commonly known.

Fixed Sydney Test a '$3m windfall for Pakistan players'

Jamie Pandaram
September 6, 2010

A PAKISTAN player has claimed crooked teammates made £1.8million ($3million) by fixing the Sydney Test last January, as Salman Butt was caught with up to £15,000 of the money used in a News of the World sting to expose alleged spot-fixing during the fourth Test against England at Lord's.

The opening batsman Yasir Hameed inadvertently told an undercover reporter from the newspaper that Pakistan players were fixing "almost every match".

"In the Sydney Test match they made 1.8million – they gave away the match," Hameed said. "I don't know how the money was divided up. They were doing it [fixing] in almost every match. God knows what they were up to. Scotland Yard was after them for ages. It makes me angry because I'm playing my best and they are trying to lose."

Hameed, who was not part of the Australian tour, had denied making the comments but a video was released showing him speaking Urdu, with subtitles backing up the newspaper's quotes.

Butt has told police that the money given to him by his manager and alleged fixer Mazhar Majeed via News of the World was for a sponsorship deal.

Majeed also manages the pacemen Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir, who along with Butt face up to 23 charges under the International Cricket Council's anti-corruption laws and possible criminal charges of conspiracy to defraud bookmakers.

Majeed was filmed taking a bribe of £150,000 and then predicting exactly when Asif and Amir would bowl no-balls in the infamous Test. The three players claim no knowledge of Majeed's alleged criminal activities.

The Pakistan team's legal adviser, Tafazzul Rizvi, told Geo TV: "The players also showed their written contracts for these sponsorship deals to police. The players have contested the allegation and also volunteered themselves for police investigations.

"But just having currency does not mean the player is involved in criminal or illegal activities.

"They were not aware of their agent's illegal activities. They only had a relationship of player-agent with him. They have constantly proclaimed their innocence of the charges against them. The money transferred to the players by Mazhar related to sponsorship and endorsement deals."It's understood a fourth player is being investigated.

Meanwhile, Pakistan's high commissioner to Britain, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, who last week suggested the players had been set up, changed his stance yesterday, demanding a "most draconian penalty" if they are found guilty.

Fixed Sydney Test a '$3m windfall for Pakistan players'

^ what if Rameez denies everything :lol:

I wont be surprised, its a roller coaster ride :lol:
I heard him say these words.

He said this 2-3 hours after the allegations were made. Everyone said this, it was a knee-jerk reaction. My own comments in the beginning of this thread were eat them alive.

It's just that after it was shown that its not all cut and dry and the main piece of evidence is yet to be proven, when I said hold on, lets see what's really going on here.

:disagree::angry:

Just because he is a good bowler doesn't mean he is allow to cheat.....

If he proven guilty he should be ban for life, I am totally disappointed by Athertonand and disagree by his comment,it will be disaster for cricket in future. No cheat should be left without punishment otherwise coming generation may feel free to do it again and this fire may reach other country also...

Not because he is good bowler, Asif is good bowler too. He is a kid, he doesn't deserve life ban, he should be given a second chance, that is, if proven guilty.

How do Emails, Text messages, phone records prove that, those videos were shot before the no balls?

Depends on the contents of the emails, if the email was generic about match fixing, it doesn't prove anything but if they specifically told in the email when the no balls will be bowled, then it's a whole different matter.

Again, a receipt of picking up the cash is different from a receipt of handing over the cash.

True it doesn't prove that the cash was indeed handed out to Butt that day itself. But logically, why would Butt take the cash after the whole hoopla been shown in NOTW? That would be making a complete butt out of himself!

At 9.53pm, Majeed texted Mahmood asking: "Boss can we meet at 10.30 pls". Five minutes later he sent another asking: "Which hotel?"

A claim not captured in the videos.

Yes, but the CCTV image shows that they have met that very day. Although that doesn't tell us the purpose of their meeting or video is indeed of that meeting.

This is also between NOTW staff and not captured on the video.

But we don't need video proof to know when the mail was triggered.

Back
Top Bottom