What's new

Spot-fixing/Match-fixing scandal

If you need to make cheap digs and troll, you can do that after you get banned as you pretend to type nonsense that doesn't show up on the forum threads.

Hey bro, I can understand your emotions... but please don't say things like this. I know that you can be a very fair moderator, so PLEASE don't say such things bro.

Also, it's a standard practice worldwide to suspend "x" when there is a reasonable amount of doubt.

Here there is more than reasonable evidence -

a) The video
b) Cash found in someone's room

That alone should be enough to get a suspension until the case is investigated. It's just like "remanding" someone until hearing.

Suspensions always happen pending investigation.

Just google for suspended+pending+investigation

Google

The precedent this sets out is that every tabloid in the world can start accusing players of having cheated, everybody would get suspended.

If not proven then a sorry would be given and life goes back to normal.

Sure... if you had the funds and will to make a "multi-millionaire" confess into that and if the situation looks grave for even a multi-millionaire, if there is no motive for the said multi-millionaire to collaborate with a "tabloid". Plus if raw cash is found in the sportsman's room.... any sports governing body will be forced to hand out a "suspension pending investigation".

There is strong enough room for suspicion and the general practice in those circumstances is to hand out a suspension. It does not mean that the players are guilty as accused. It means that the accusation has a reasonable amount of basis right now, and it's bad for the sport if the player were not suspended.

Originally Posted by Asim Aquil
The precedent this sets out is that every tabloid in the world can start accusing players of having cheated, everybody would get suspended.

If not proven then a sorry would be given and life goes back to normal.

Sadly that's how media works, even politicians can't do anything, they are mere cricketers. A tahelka was enough to end political career of George Fernandes(poor guy later absolved of all charges by court!).

Sarcasm apart, do you really believe if an Aussie was in charge the reaction would have been more lax? I'm asking because Sharad Power's nationality and Lorgat's lineage was brought into discussion by many.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Lol, I got my answer. :no:

may i know what.......

Vir Sanghvi

Before you chuckle over Pak cricket

Yes. I know. The betting scandal involving three (or possibly more) Pakistan cricketers allows Indians a chance to feel very smug. "Look at Pakistan," we say, "the place is falling apart. Millions have been uprooted by floods. There are fears that the money meant to reach these unfortunate flood victims has been diverted. Some of it (much of it, even) has been siphoned off by Pakistan's notoriously corrupt politicians."

And there is more in a similar vein: "The terrorists they armed and financed to attack India are now biting the hands that feed them. More people die in Pakistan each month from violent incidents than die in Iraq or Afghanistan."

So yes, I can see why Indians feel smug. For many of us, the cricket scandal is not just a sporting affair but a symbol of a neighbour in decay, of a nation in collapse, etc. etc.

Well sorry, guys, but I am afraid I don't share in the general smugness. Yes, Pakistan's politicians are even worse than ours (and that takes some doing) and as a nation, it is essentially a military dictatorship with intermittent outbreaks of democracy. But I am not going to sit and gloat about the terrorist attacks or pat myself on the back when millions of people struggle to reclaim their lives after a disaster of such mammoth proportions.

As for the cricket scandal, I don't believe that it is a symbol of Pakistan's moral decline any more than the thieving surrounding the organisation of next month's Commonwealth Games is a metaphor of some essential lack of integrity within Indian society.

Whenever there is money to be made, there will be crooks who will try and rob the system. That's a fact of life. Get used to it.

We need to look at previous betting scandals in global cricket. Hansie Cronje's inability to resist the temptations placed before him by the bookies did not reflect some failing in the South African character. It only marked one man's failure to hold firm when money was offered. The many Indian cricketers who have been tainted by their associations with bookies did not reflect some Indian propensity to cheat. They were just weak — and possibly immoral — men who succumbed to the lure of the easy buck.

But the Indian betting scandal is a good place to start because it tells us something about how such matters should be handled. Even the biggest cynic will concede that by and large, Indian cricket is free of match-fixing, deliberate no balls bowled at the behest of bookies etc.

Why should this be so?

Several reasons.

First of all, most if not all of the cricketers, who were implicated in our betting scandals saw their careers come to inglorious ends. I can't think of very many (or any, for that matter) who were fully rehabilitated within the cricket world or given India caps again. Even those who were subsequently exonerated by the courts had to wait so long for the judicial process to conclude that their careers were virtually over anyway.

Secondly, cricketers make so much money these days (from endorsements, appearance fees, etc. in addition to their cricket earnings) that the sums offered by bookies no longer seem so tempting. A player who is implicated in a betting scam will find that his career has ended and with that sudden termination will go the many crores he could have continued to make.

Thirdly, it now seems likely that they will be found out. One good thing about India's cricket administration is that it is now massively focused on match-fixing. Any pattern of suspicious behaviour is noticed immediately. Match tapes are studied by experts to check if players have deliberately thrown away their wickets, dropped catches, etc.

In the case of Pakistan, these three conditions are absent. I can understand why Pakistani cricketers do not make as much money as ours (we are the bigger economy) but even so, there is a case for paying them better.

More important is the laissez-faire attitude of the Pakistani board to match-fixing. Players who are accused of links with bookies and of rigging their performances are frequently forgiven, reinstated, or let off with temporary suspensions.

The current case is an example of how Pakistan gets it wrong. There was something tragic and deeply shameful about Pakistan's ambassador to Britain going on TV to stoutly defend the cricketers against whom such a strong prima facie case exists. Worse still, patriotism has suddenly become the last refuge of the cricketing scoundrel. Pakistani papers have blamed the incident on a conspiracy to defame Pakistan, of machinations by Indian bookies and even R&AW! (For the record, Mazher Mehmood, the News of the World journo who broke the story is a British Pakistani.)

If players believe they can get away with match-fixing, why on earth should they turn the bookies away?

But do not be fooled into believing that just because India watches its players more closely and is far less forgiving than Pakistan, Indian sport is therefore more honest.

All that has happened in India is that while the players have now been stopped from making illegal money, the sports administrators have got even more corrupt than ever before.

I've already mentioned the scandal of the highway robbery that has gone on in the name of the Commonwealth Games. But what of cricket administration? If even one-tenth of the charges that the cricket board has levelled against Lalit Modi are true then this is a far bigger corruption scandal than anything that any cricketer anywhere in the world has ever done.

And does anybody really believe that Modi did all this on his own? Most of us suspect that his colleagues on the board were, if not his partners in crime, then certainly fully aware that hundreds of crores were being siphoned out of the game.

So yes, the Indian cricket team is probably more honest than Pakistan's team. But Indian cricket is far less honest than Pakistani cricket. Only it is the administrators who are the crooks because, unlike the players, they have been placed under far less scrutiny (until now, at least).

Let's stop gloating about the Pakistan cricket scandal. I agree that the evidence seems compelling and I accept that some Pakistanis (administrators, government, media etc.) are behaving like idiots.

But the scandal does not tell us much about the state of the Pakistani nation. All it does is to remind that when modestly remunerated young men are placed in an environment where lakhs can be made off each ball by non-participants in the game, then the temptations placed before them can be irresistible. The only way to ensure honesty in such circumstances is to pay the players well and to then watch them like hawks.

That's what we've done, and so our cricketers play a straight game. But while they go out and bat for India, crores are still made off that game by non-participants: the cricket administrators.

You tell me: do we really have the right to be smug or to feel superior?

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Before-you-chuckle-over-Pak-cricket/Article1-596159.aspx

Pakistan Cricket: The fibbers off the field

By Trevor Chesterfield | September 05, 2010

Pakistan's incompetent cricket board tries to escape consequences through bluff, bluster and jingoism. World cricket must not let them

From the time they were exposed as cheats four years ago over the ball tampering issue at The Oval, there has been a growing stench about modern Pakistan cricket -which has developed the habit of eschewing openness and with it, integrity.

That was a moment when Darrell Hair, and the strict and fair umpiring levels employed, were questioned by those who knew they had been fiddling with the ball; then they lied about it to escape being shown up as villains in a dishonest caper, all against the tenets of fair play.

With such a background, it should surprise no one that such Luddites as these have again openly displayed how their management is as dysfunctional, maladjusted and incompetent as it has been since the early 1990s. Ijaz Butt, the current president of the Pakistan Cricket Board is as fundamentally flawed in his administration as he was over the disastrous terrorist attack on the Sri Lanka cricket team's bus in Lahore in March 2009. In the latest series of events in England, bowlers are said to have been involved in a no-ball betting scam. It is the tip of an unsavoury pile of garbage that has been collecting on its doorstep unmonitored for years -that has only become worse post Ijaz Butt, a pretentious Test player whose one moment of fame on the field was as a substitute.

In Pakistan's first tour of the West Indies in 1957-58, during the third Test in Kingston, Jamaica, Butt managed to run out Conrad Hunte for 260 in his partnership of 446 with Sir Garfield Sobers for the second wicket. Sobers went in to score the then world record of 365 not out in a West Indies total of 790 for three, declared. Recalling the incident, the warm-hearted Hunte said how he and Sobers had forgotten Butt had been brought on for Saeed Ahmed, who had temporarily gone off for minor finger injury repairs.

Butt, in his new avatar, says that without "proof", there will be no suspension of players. Such an interesting premise he has adopted here, as Pakistan try to cover with bluff and jingoism their already tarnished image.

Back in June, during the Asia Cup, there was an incident where Mohammad Amir was shown on television doing something he shouldn't be doing: he had a mobile telephone clamped to his right ear just before going out to bat against Sri Lanka at Rangiri Stadium, in Dambulla. As it was caught, during a lapse of security, by a non-rights television channel camera pointed in the bowler's direction, it came out, and became an embarrassing moment. What a hissy fit it caused as well. Caught in the act, management naturally tried to fib their sordid way out of this one.

"Oh, he was adjusting his helmet," was the official excuse.

The point of this is that that was the moment that Amir was being instructed by the new con-artist in the M.K. Gupta mould, Mazhar Majeed. If it can be taken at face value, the following is repeated from the News of The World where Majeed talks about the Asia Cup game.

Majeed: "We don't do results that often. The last one we did was against Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup which was about two months ago. And you get a script as well."

Neither the Asia Cricket Council nor Sri Lanka Cricket have kicked up a fuss so far over this claim of how a game was fixed.

The SLC hierarchy have a problem of their own to handle, with player indiscipline.

Rameez Raja, the former Pakistan captain and board chief executive, remembered on the BBC programme Test Match Special how, in Sri Lanka in 1994, team manager Intikhab Alam confided to him how legends of the game were "fixing" matches on that tour.

Weeks later, in South Africa, Salim Malik, peering at Hansie Cronjé with his characteristic obsequious smirk, sought confirmation from Cronjé at Newlands, in Cape Town, whether "John had called with an offer". This was January 10, 1995, as the two captains went out to the toss. Cronjé later admitted to a feeling of embarrassment at having to acknowledge there had been a call from "John".

That was the point at which Cronjé had crossed the line. Since then they have been allowed to get away with a variety of misdeeds; it contributed to an institutional culture in which it is easier to deny and lie than tell the truth.

Butt, as did Javed Miandad, has an ego the size of the Himalayas. They bluster their way through while the corruption mounts, but little is done to curb the growing problems. Chris Broad and Simon Taufel still have nights of cold sweat over the way they were strafed in the Sri Lanka players' van, and left like "sitting ducks" on March 3 last year. These were claims Butt and other PCB officials also lied about. Why did it take 15 months or longer before pressure was brought to bear by the International Cricket Council on the report which condemned the PCB's role in March 3 security? Remember, seven policemen were left dead on the streets of Lahore; all the terrorists escaped.

This year, to give Pakistan a "home" venue, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) staged a "spirit of cricket series" with Australia. And this is how the team behaves, as well as its discredited management.

If cricket is to become a respected international sport, it needs to have a transparent image, not one where bookies can manipulate results. It is why all South Asia-linked agents need to be investigated by the ICC and register with them, as a way to get rid of the ogres and match-fixers now poisoning the game.

Columns: Pakistan Cricket: The fibbers off the field | Trevor Chesterfield

Asim 1 can easily generate new time stamp, example set system date to same date they NOTW claimed bet took place, all they have to do is get a video convertor, and convert Mazhar_majeed.avi to any new video format, same format will also do, all you have to choose is 'Save as' on new storage media/PC.

Mechanical Hard Drives are dated technology, we have moved on to SSDs (solid-state drives), what if they stored video on NAND Flash memory ? How to calculate the rate of decay in strength then ?

:undecided:

If the authenticity of the video is proven, then whats left to arrest them?

Obviously its not been proven.

Step 1

For example if the video was recorded onto a hard disk as Mazhar_majeed.avi. First thing I would check was the Date-modified stamp. If it says its before the no-balls, then I will go to step 2.

If its after the no balls, then I know right away the proof is not there.

Step 2

I will check which sectors/clusters does the date containing mazhar_majeed.avi occupy. I will then take a reading of the magnetism of that area as data is written by magnets onto discs.

Step 3

I will re record on a similar storage media, from the same writing devices. Then take its reading.

I will then no the attenuation in the strength of magnetism over time. I will also make calculations of the rate of decay in strength per day, through daily observations. Then I can easily calculate on day 3 this would be the magnetic strength, on day 4 this and so on.

So what is the issue that such results have not been published and the players still not indicted?

Back
Top Bottom