What's new

soviet vs usa air force

Nomad16

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@vostok dude i need you to tell me which of these soviets aircraft are matched with usa aircraft

Yak-28U
mig 21
mig 23
mig 25
mig 29
su 25

does mig 23 match with f-14 tomcat ??

Mig-23 is no match for the F-14. F-14 had superior agility and far better radar.

Mig-29 and F-16 being matched I would agree with.
im not expert but im guessing mig 21 match with f4 mig 23 match with f14 mig 25 match with f15 as @flamer84 says mig 29 match with f16
but im sure su 25 match with A-10 Thunderbolt

Wanna start a USA vs USSR military thread?

Maybe i should call @Martian2 , since he is one of the most knowledgeable members with a credible opinion and always with backup citations in his claims.

Wanna start a USA vs USSR military thread?

Maybe i should call @Martian2 , since he is one of the most knowledgeable members with a credible opinion and always with backup citations in his claims.
lol i didn't want start anything i ask a question and i need answer to it ;)

I actually had a brain fart.I meant mig 21,mig 23=F 4 and maybe F 5 ?

I think that the latter variants of the Mig-23 were somewhat in-between the F-4 and F-16 in performance. Mig-23 is roughly comparable to F-4.

F-5 was a light fighter and never had the radar or missiles to be able to duke it out at BVR with either F-4 or Mig-23 in it's prime

Looking at the Soviet inventory i see nothing that could rival the F14 until the Su-27 but that leaves a 12-15 years time gap so i might be mistaken.

I think that the latter variants of the Mig-23 were somewhat in-between the F-4 and F-16 in performance. Mig-23 is roughly comparable to F-4.

F-5 was a light fighter and never had the radar or missiles to be able to duke it out at BVR with either F-4 or Mig-23 in it's prime

BVR was not all that glorious especially in the 60's.I remember seing a documentary of the Vietnam War in which F4's ran into trouble against Migs because they didn't have cannons in close combat,their designers thinking that up close dogfights were a thing of the past.But the missiles weren't that precise ,especially in the 60's ,so dogfights did occur putting the F4's at a disadvantage.

Looking at the Soviet inventory i see nothing that could rival the F14 until the Su-27 but that leaves a 12-15 years time gap so i might be mistaken.

F-14s, F-15s and F-16s came into service in the 1970s while it took till the 1980s before the Mig-29 and SU-27 to be ready for service.

This meant that the US had massive advantage in air-warfare over the Soviets in the latter half of the 1970s and 1980s that they did not possess on land.

BVR was not all that glorious especially in the 60's.I remember seing a documentary of the Vietnam War in which F4's ran into trouble against Migs because they didn't have cannons in close combat,their designers thinking that up close dogfights were a thing of the past.But the missiles weren't that precise ,especially in the 60's ,so dogfights did occur putting the F4's at a disadvantage.

The probability of a BVR kill of an F-4 in the Vietnam war was believed to be around 7%, so the success was not at all high.

dudes imagine you have about 300-400 soviet jets what must be done with these ?

btw im sure Soviet have better helicopters

Last edited:
You're talking about Turmenistan ?

Well,if you have Su-27,Mig 29,Mig 31,they're worth an upgrade.Anything else...scrap and buy new ones.:D
yes im talking about turkmenistan see this quote

"After the collapse of the Soviet Union Turkmenistan had the largest aviation assets among the Central Asian states, stationed at the large bases at Mary and Ashgabat. Turkmenistan inherited more than 300 combat aircraft, including 24 MiG-29, 46 Su-25, and 172 Mig-23. In the mid-1990s Turkmenistan's air force had four regiments with 2,000 men and 171 fighter and bomber aircraft, of which sixty-five were Su-17s. The Air Force at the end of the course of the year 2000 amounted to 3000 people. In service with the were up to 250 helicopters and airplanes of various systems. By 2006 the air force had 4,300 active personnel. The air force had two aviation squadrons and one transport squadron. The air force had 89 fighter planes active, 200 fighter planes in storage"

i know they are old ofc but i don't think throwing them away will be wise

yes im talking about turkmenistan see this quote

"After the collapse of the Soviet Union Turkmenistan had the largest aviation assets among the Central Asian states, stationed at the large bases at Mary and Ashgabat. Turkmenistan inherited more than 300 combat aircraft, including 24 MiG-29, 46 Su-25, and 172 Mig-23. In the mid-1990s Turkmenistan's air force had four regiments with 2,000 men and 171 fighter and bomber aircraft, of which sixty-five were Su-17s. The Air Force at the end of the course of the year 2000 amounted to 3000 people. In service with the were up to 250 helicopters and airplanes of various systems. By 2006 the air force had 4,300 active personnel. The air force had two aviation squadrons and one transport squadron. The air force had 89 fighter planes active, 200 fighter planes in storage"

im they are old ofc but i don't think throwing them away will be wise

I don't know what use is there for Mig 23 in this day and age ,be they in good numbers.It depends on your Defence objectives i guess.IMO it would be better if you would maintain a 48-60 fighters Air Force but with modern ,upgraded planes.

Back
Top Bottom