What's new

South Korea: Dependence in the Age of OPCON

Perhaps you did not understand my post. No one is asking you to become Hindu or Muslim, we keep our own beliefs (or lack thereof) and respect each others choice.
We like to create our own region Sub-Mekong region where Buddhism is the main religious here. Thats make us strong enough to counter all threat.

Buddhism is very friendly and VNese also get used to with this religious
great-mekong-subregion-east-west-economic-corridor.gif

No, you are seeking strong ally with india again nowadays, Hinduism will come back along with your india brothers for sure and reignite the emebers, otherwise your indian brothers will not be happy. Time for you to get rid of all China elements and embrace india.
VN and Indian r longtime and trustworthy friends, India supported VN during Vn war against US. We dont just make friend few years ago like what u think

There comes a time when the student must graduate. South Korea has a strong economy, a powerful army, and a widespread and heartfelt scorn for the US--sounds like a perfect combination for transfer of OPCON. Perhaps the US should unilaterally transfer OPCON to force South Korea to face the realities of the region in which it lives, and choose either an alliance with Japan or become a client of China. The US literally cannot afford the status quo any longer.

This would , indeed, be a strategic shift if it were to happen.

This is economic dependence and will remain despite its Human and other resources.

I will give my opinion regarding Japan-South Korean (Korean) relationship.

South Korea or let me say, Korean peninsula as a whole is naturally and historically have a mutual cooperation (in Economics) and dependence (as a country and foreign relation context) with China. Several times they prefer to giving their tributary gift for the Ruler in Mainland China and several times they are very against to acknowledge Japanese overlord over them, especially in context of Imjin war era. Their ruler and peoples will be much more comfortable to joining side with the Chinese in future rather than with US and Japanese side. After all, they see Japan as a threat rather than potential allies.

No, you are seeking strong ally with india again nowadays, Hinduism will come back along with your india brothers for sure and reignite the emebers, otherwise your indian brothers will not be happy. Time for you to get rid of all China elements and embrace india.
Budhism is also Indian, boy.
Infact Budhism is considered by many as one of the philosophies under the aegis of Hinduism.

I will give my opinion regarding Japan-South Korean (Korean) relationship.

South Korea or let me say, Korean peninsula as a whole is naturally and historically have a mutual cooperation (in Economics) and dependence (as a country and foreign relation context) with China. Several times they prefer to giving their tributary gift for the Ruler in Mainland China and several times they are very against to acknowledge Japanese overlord over them, especially in context of Imjin war era. Their ruler and peoples will be much more comfortable to joining side with the Chinese in future rather than with US and Japanese side. After all, they see Japan as a threat rather than potential allies.

I can understand the sensitivities of the Koreans. The Chinese , understandably, had a cultural and economic influence on Korea. Tho I will say there were times when Chinese dynasties such as the Tang, had fielded large armies in the attempt to force its political will in Korea. But for the most part, largely that is, China and Korea had a historically mutual benefit. Even when China was conquered by the Mongols (Yuan Dynasty), the Koreans , as vassals of the old system and thus remained vassals of the new political machination, fielded troops for the Mongol Khan , to support the invasion of Japan. In fact, in the 2 failed attempts to invade Japan, a large part of the Mongol expeditionary force / fleet were mostly Korean and Chinese soldiers with Mongols being bannermen and officers.

Japan, under Hideyoshi, conducted an brutal war in Korea. So, that was largely retained by the Koreans in memory. Then our intervention during the Sino-Japanese War, and then the Russo-Japanese War. Japan took the opportunity to annex the entire Kingdom of Korea into the Japanese Empire. Imperial colonization took effect, as it did much in Formosa, Kuril, and Korea. The Koreans have historical basis for resentment. Tho i will premise that Japan contributed greatly for the education , industrialization, and overall demography in Korea, to the national psyche, they (Koreans) cannot get over the fact that they were conquered peoples. They still hold deep resentment on that. And I can empathize. However, it should be stressed that the past is the past. Japan no longer holds any idea or even an inchling of any Imperialist agenda. he he! :-)

Budhism is also Indian, boy.
Infact Budhism is considered by many as one of the philosophies under the aegis of Hinduism.

Yes this is very true. Many great religions have come out from the Greater Indus Valley Civilization. These include Jainism, Buddhism, and Hinduism.

I would infer , however, that Buddhism , like any theological thought, has various schools and sects. There is Mahayana Buddhism, there is also Thervada Buddhism. In fact, Thervada Buddhism was more so apparent in South East Asian states such as in Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Burma; and they were influenced by Sri Lankan (Sinhalese) Buddhist monasteries.

The Buddhism that is practiced in China, Korea, Japan largely is a synchronized and synergized belief system. Buddhism in these East Asian states are molded with the prevailing Confucian concept(s), as well as even seen in harmonious union with Taoism / Daoism (as in the case of China, Taiwan, and some parts of Korea). For Japan, however, Buddhism is merged with our own native Japanese religion that is Shinto. In fact, there is a trilineal union of Buddhism, Shinto and Zen spirituality. Known collectively as Zen-Shinto-Buddhism. Its rather an interesting concept. East Asian civilizations tend to adapt foreign concepts and apply it to the native land's perception and needs.

:-)

Last edited:
I can understand the sensitivities of the Koreans. The Chinese , understandably, had a cultural and economic influence on Korea. Tho I will say there were times when Chinese dynasties such as the Tang, had fielded large armies in the attempt to force its political will in Korea. But for the most part, largely that is, China and Korea had a historically mutual benefit. Even when China was conquered by the Mongols (Yuan Dynasty), the Koreans , as vassals of the old system and thus remained vassals of the new political machination, fielded troops for the Mongol Khan , to support the invasion of Japan. In fact, in the 2 failed attempts to invade Japan, a large part of the Mongol expeditionary force / fleet were mostly Korean and Chinese soldiers with Mongols being bannermen and officers.

Japan, under Hideyoshi, conducted an brutal war in Korea. So, that was largely retained by the Koreans in memory. Then our intervention during the Sino-Japanese War, and then the Russo-Japanese War. Japan took the opportunity to annex the entire Kingdom of Korea into the Japanese Empire. Imperial colonization took effect, as it did much in Formosa, Kuril, and Korea. The Koreans have historical basis for resentment. Tho i will premise that Japan contributed greatly for the education , industrialization, and overall demography in Korea, to the national psyche, they (Koreans) cannot get over the fact that they were conquered peoples. They still hold deep resentment on that. And I can empathize. However, it should be stressed that the past is the past. Japan no longer holds any idea or even an inchling of any Imperialist agenda. he he! :-)

Yep is true, but the Koreans will be Koreans after all, although Japan and Korean had more common in cause today, the Korean still see themselves at odds with Japans. It is not today Japanese fault or US in fault after all, but much more, hmmm how i will say and put it, there is something wrong in the heads of the average Koreans itself. From what i can see and i can get in free forum, from chit-chat with my Koreans and Japanese colleagues in University (hey don't i ever say if i've attended several class at ICU in Tokyo before?), i get the impression if the Korean itself will much more do anything what they can do to avoiding or prevent Japan to become their allies in Politics, they put their historical and Nationalist sentiment too much. The Japanese on other hands they are not too care about political stuff and they are much prefer and very eager to do business with their Korean or China counterparts.

@Contrarian ,

I will make an example of how native religion can merge with foreign religion. In China, they have their own native religion , with their own native deities. You can seen this if you go to any Chinese establishment. Chinese business owners will have a statue to honor the Chinese diety named Kuan-Ti, he is best known to ward off evil spirits, and ominous individuals. Then at the same time they will also have a statue to Buddha.

Btw, this is the statue of the Chinese deity named Kuan-Ti:

20111022-013.jpg

Yes this is very true. Many great religions have come out from the Greater Indus Valley Civilization. These include Jainism, Buddhism, and Hinduism.
:-)
You left one out - Sikhism. India is the birth place of 4 religions. Collectively known as Dharmic Religions.

But you are wrong on one count - it is not related to Indus Valley Civilization or Greater IVC.

IVC is spread between Western India and Pakistan.
Budhism originated in East India(Bihar). The distance between the two is massive

You left one out - Sikhism. India is the birth place of 4 religions. Collectively known as Dharmic Religions.

But you are wrong on one count - it is not related to Indus Valley Civilization or Greater IVC.

IVC is spread between Western India and Pakistan.
Budhism originated in East India(Bihar). The distance between the two is massive

Thank you ! Yes, Sikhism is indeed another great religion that came out of the IVC. I was referring to IVC as the collective birthplace of these religions: Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism and Sikhism. My austere apologies for the confusion.

Thank you ! Yes, Sikkhism is indeed another great religion that came out of the IVC. I was referring to IVC as the collective birthplace of these religions: Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism and Sikhism. My austere apologies for the confusion.
Nihonjin san, I reiterate, IVC is Western India, Budhism is from Eastern India. There is a difference between the two.

The people of Bihar, UP and Nepal would not appreciate being told that what one of their people(Budha) achieved being attributed to West Indians :D. They are naturally proud.

@Contrarian ,

I will make an example of how native religion can merge with foreign religion. In China, they have their own native religion , with their own native deities. You can seen this if you go to any Chinese establishment. Chinese business owners will have a statue to honor the Chinese diety named Kuan-Ti, he is best known to ward off evil spirits, and ominous individuals. Then at the same time they will also have a statue to Buddha.

Btw, this is the statue of the Chinese deity named Kuan-Ti:

20111022-013.jpg

we called it KUANG KWONG.
he's chinese GOD OF WAR... lol

Thank you ! Yes, Sikhism is indeed another great religion that came out of the IVC. I was referring to IVC as the collective birthplace of these religions: Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism and Sikhism. My austere apologies for the confusion.

Sikhism is a new religion .. It includes poetry of punjabi muslim Sufis ... :lol:

As for greater IVC .. I ask you my friend .. Take a good look at the IVC map and tell me if it spread into modern day India? At max there was a small port of lothal near indo-Pak border .. Same goes with Harrappa.. Mohenjodaro,Ghandhara or mehrgarh which are exclusively existed in modern day Pakistan ... Not even into the regions (india) neighbouring Pakistan.

@save_ghenda

Sikhism is a new religion .. It includes poetry of punjabi muslim Sufis ... :lol:

I agree with you my friend, there have been a great deal of theological influence(s). When I read into Sikkhism, particularly the tenets ascribed through the Guru Nanak, I can't help but see the similarities between Islam. Both Sikhism and Islam are monotheistic religions. One difference , however, is the notion of the afterlife. Islam, like in Christianity and Judaism, teaches that after death -- is the Final Judgment. But in Sikhism, after one dies, one may undergo reincarnation; which borrows from Buddhist and Hindu theology.

I fear I have gone OT, so i will go back to the subject matter now. ;)

Nihonjin san, I reiterate, IVC is Western India, Budhism is from Eastern India. There is a difference between the two.

The people of Bihar, UP and Nepal would not appreciate being told that what one of their people(Budha) achieved being attributed to West Indians :D. They are naturally proud.

Buddha was born in modern day Nepal not Bihar..:lol:

Back
Top Bottom