What's new

South China Sea Forum

You should understand they will not stop coming into our territotial waters if we don't act more seriously.That is the point of all my posts.

And you have all the while lost your point because we are not ready for deployment of our military hard and soft ware there!
Go to bed now please!

And you have all the while lost your point because we are not ready for deployment of our military hard and soft ware there!
Go to bed now please!
Please Stop replying to me.I don't even want to explain it again.You don't need a fighter or bomber to stop them.

Please Stop reply to me.I don't even want to explain it again.You don't need a fighter or bomber to stop them.

Well China can always deploy a Type 056 some 10 miles off the Virginia coast. :)

A tit for tat, or is it a tat for tit?

You should understand they will not stop coming into our territotial waters if we don't act more seriously.That is the point of all my posts.

China didn't start a shooting war with Japan over the Diaoyu island dispute for far more serious transgression, why do you think it would do anything beyond the symbolic with the US?

Seduction? I wasn't trying to seduce anyone. I was just showing you my kind affection as a friend. I didn't know you interpreted my kindness as sexually seductive. Perhaps you mistranslated me. My darling colleague!

I AM NOT your DARLING
puke puke PUKE

Go and find yours in the likes of your viet pinoy indian pakistani and chinese brothers onboard of PDF please

YUCK

China didn't start a shooting war with Japan over the Diaoyu island dispute for far more serious transgression, why do you think it would do anything beyond the symbolic with the US?
You haven't read my posts.There isn't and won't be any direct war between China and USA.

The problem is still there.Do China accept that US can patrol in our territorial waters?
Most of the world doesn't accept the SCS as China's "territorial waters".

China often invokes the Law of the Sea Treaty to justify exploiting the area, but what China did when it signed was attach a letter to the treaty saying that China's boundaries are whatever the government says they are - in direct contravention to much of the content of the Treaty. Then, when many countries complained about this grab for territory, China doubled down and declared it would not abide by the conflict resolution procedures of the Treaty, either.

So China wants the fruits of sea diplomacy but few - if any - of the duties. I imagine the purpose of this thuggish behavior is to provide the Party with a mechanism to begin a war at its convenience, providing an excuse for wartime unity when its own domestic situation becomes shaky.

These islands do have a 12nm territorial water per UNCLOS as none of the reef where China did the land reclamation was fully submerged during low tide.

Article6
Reefs
In the case of islands situated on atolls or of islands having fringing reefs, the baseline for measuring the breadth of the territorial sea is the seaward low-water line of the reef, as shown by the appropriate symbol on charts officially recognized by the coastal State.

Of course as the ownership of the islands/reefs themselves is under dispute, whether other states recognize such possession as yours is where the disagreement lies, not the 12nm territorial water. I think a lot of media reports are misleading or simply making false statements.

Two points can be disputed.

1. I am not sure if those reefs were fully submerged at low tide before China took them in 1988. 2. I am not sure if those reefs can be considered as "fringing reefs of a coastal state".

Two points can be disputed.

1. I am not sure if those reefs were fully submerged at low tide before China took them in 1988. 2. I am not sure if those reefs can be considered as "fringing reefs of a coastal state".

We can draw the reference to some countries which claim the territorial rights after land reclamation such as the Netherlands, Singapore etc cant we?

Go to bed now please!

Okay. Good to know.

Most of the world doesn't accept the SCS as China's "territorial waters".

China often invokes the Law of the Sea Treaty to justify exploiting the area, but what China did when it signed was attach a letter to the treaty saying that China's boundaries are whatever the government says they are - in direct contravention to much of the content of the Treaty. Then, when many countries complained about this grab for territory, China doubled down and declared it would not abide by the conflict resolution procedures of the Treaty, either.

So China wants the fruits of sea diplomacy but few - if any - of the duties. I imagine the purpose of this thuggish behavior is to provide the Party with a mechanism to begin a war at its convenience, providing an excuse for wartime unity when its own domestic situation becomes shaky.

The point tho that various parties have alluded to is China's binding nature to UNCLOS since she is a signatory member. This is something often not impressed upon.

Didn't they do this when the PLA sent five naval ships off the coast of Alaska last September?

Yes they did, and the U.S. Allowed them as per international law. :)

Didn't they do this when the PLA sent five naval ships off the coast of Alaska last September?

In fact during last year's 2014 RIMPAC the Chinese ships sailed around within 12 nautical miles off the coast of Oahu and Maui, without any provocative responses by the 7th fleet nor were any Chinese ships trailed and hailed by USN vessels.

What we in the naval community are surprised at is the Chinese' hypocritical response here.

And rightfully so.

Matt Gurney: U.S. Navy 1, China 0 | National Post

5457670101.jpg

An American destroyer deliberately ignored Chinese territorial claims that Washington rejects. Beijing's response was muted ... this time.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom