What's new

Soon you may be allowed to drive at 100km per hour

Brahmos_2

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: The government is all set to revise the maximum speed limit of each category of vehicles plying on the roads across the country. While cars will be allowed to ply at 100 km per hour, the maximum speed limit for goods vehicles will be 80 km. Motor cycles will also be allowed to ply at 80 kmph against the earlier norm of 50 kmph.

The speed limit of Quadricycles, a new category of vehicles, is also set to be fixed at 70 kmph.

Back in 1989, when the road transport and highways ministry had last notified speed limits, highway development had not taken off. The revision in speed limits after over two decades is being done considering improved network of highways across the country, say experts.

The need to rationalize the speed limit was felt way back in 2006-07 and a committee was set up to revise the norms. "We had recommended that there cannot be multiple speed limits on the same lane of a highway for different categories of vehicle. There has to be compatibility. While the Central government can fix maximum speed limit, it's the responsibility of local agencies and NHAI to ensure that there is no such conflicting speed on the same carriageway," said Rohit Baluja, a road safety expert and a member of the panel

He added that motorcycles were banned on expressways because of the speed limit of 50 kmph. Baluja said there was also a recommendation that there should be separate speed limit for vehicles plying in urban areas.

Sources said while earlier the speed limit was based on vehicle type, this time the new norm is based on the seating capacity of all such vehicles. For example, a passenger vehicle that can accommodate nine passengers besides the driver will be allowed to ply at 80 kmph. But a passenger vehicle with less than eight seating capacity can speed up to 100 kmph after the fresh notification is out.

"It's up to the state governments and local authorities including police to notify the speed limit for vehicles plying on state highways, city and on rural roads," said a road transport ministry official.

Soon you may be allowed to drive at 100km per hour - The Times of India

Nobody beats Germany. And that is exactly how it should be. If your car can do it, let it do it.

However, that would require that all cars be certified and tested along with their drivers. No luck for that in third world countries.

Nobody beats Germany. And that is exactly how it should be. If your car can do it, let it do it.

However, that would require that all cars be certified and tested along with their drivers. No luck for that in third world countries.

Where is road for driving that fast in this so called third world countries?????? There are several cars in India which can go >200kph, and there are drivers who can drive that fast.... But where is the road??????

On topic: Kerala the max speed in Highways used to be 70 kph, which was increased to 90kph on four lane road, and 80 on national highways (2 lane) 70 on other roads, for cars.

hahaha!!!in my city we can do 60-80 :P(allowed 50)
and on highways not less than 90-140.........
no body checks here u just need to have seat belts on and no policeman will do a jack
even the govt vehicles dont bother speed limits
the aman ki asha bus from pakistan,amritsar,jalandhar is often seen doing like 120+ on single lane......

The speed limit you impose depends on how well the highway/road is constructed. You cannot allow blanket speed limits in places where they shouldn't be.

Crashing in a Maruti 800 and Crashing in a S-class are two different things. Beyond a certain speed, it doesn't matter what vehicle you crash at, you will be dead. So you have to look at the overall picture of a nation's driving habits, automobile safety standards and highway constructions that give you best chance for survival at high speed. Germany has no speed limits on the Autobahn, but their infrastructure and automotive tech is superior to most in the world. There is a reason why Mercedes/Audi/BMW design vehicles that are stable and safe.

Where is road for driving that fast in this so called third world countries?????? There are several cars in India which can go >200kph, and there are drivers who can drive that fast.... But where is the road??????

On topic: Kerala the max speed in Highways used to be 70 kph, which was increased to 90kph on four lane road, and 80 on national highways (2 lane) 70 on other roads, for cars.

Even a honda civic will belt out 200kmph. But you impose speed limits based on a good probability of survival at certain speed. 60-70mph seems the magic number around world for a reason.

Even a honda civic will belt out 200kmph. But you impose speed limits based on a good probability of survival at certain speed. 60-70mph seems the magic number around world for a reason.

True... for a car 60 -70 is the magic number and for a bike 40 to 50 is the magic number......

Better roads have to be built before increasing the speed limit.........

hahaha!!!in my city we can do 60-80 :P(allowed 50)
and on highways not less than 90-140.........
no body checks here u just need to have seat belts on and no policeman will do a jack
even the govt vehicles dont bother speed limits

In my state the entire highway they have kept cameras with speed sensors...... If you cross the limit you can see a flash in your rear view mirror, and you will get a ticket delivered at home.... Oh, Btw you can pay the fine online too.... You have a provision of checking the number of violation pending online...... I ride a vehicle which has a different state registration, hence i never had issues.....

the aman ki asha bus from pakistan,amritsar,jalandhar is often seen doing like 120+ on single lane......

Which bus do they use? volvo?

In my state the entire highway they have kept cameras with speed sensors...... If you cross the limit you can see a flash in your rear view mirror, and you will get a ticket delivered at home.... Oh, Btw you can pay the fine online too.... You have a provision of checking the number of violation pending online...... I ride a vehicle which has a different state registration, hence i never had issues.....

Which bus do they use? volvo?

Na, I think Volvo has a speed limiter, like Tata bus have in low floor.

NOoooooooo ! :argh:

Imagine the damage that @levina @Ayush & @Indischer could do driving in India at these speeds ! :undecided:

Has anyone forgotten how Levina Apa rammed into a tree while driving at a meager 50 km/h & then asked the Traffic Police Officer to ask the Tree to pay the damages ! o_O

And how Ayush, mistaking his bike for a helicopter, flew off the high-way singing 'I believe I can fly....I believe I can touch the sky' ! :o:

Of the three I only trust Indischer to drive carefull - Our German Bhabi has taught him driving herself ! :yes4:

He looked so cute sitting next to his 6'5 Blonde German Mrs. as she slapped him a couple of times for braking too soon or pushing down on the accelerator a couple of times too hard & how he'd say sheepishly to her 'Begum ghaltiii ho gaiii...ghusaaa na hooo' ! :meeting:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom