What's new

Some questions related to number of tanks in Pakistan Army

i guess the figure of 600 would be nearly 50/50 between Al Khalid & Al Zarrar.

We can assume the 320 Al Khalid figure is nearly correct.

As far as I know and I can be wrong, two armoured brigades are equipped with T-85 (chinese) one based in Pano Aqil and the other one Karachi. The T-80UD equips the other brigade in Karachi. The Armoured Division in Karachi has a further two Mechanised Infantry Brigades.

The Al Zarrar anf T-69 are equipping the Armoured formations in Punjab where the need for shooting at extreme ranges is not there due to contineous peri urban area.

BTW Al Zarrar has teething problems with the 360 degree perforamnce of the main gun. The breech block and the recoil mechanism encounters obstruction when firing at 90 degree from normal travelling position.

Just thought I should share this with you all.

Amir bhai t-85(chinese varient) has already been phased out by al-khalids
pakistan's main battle tank thrust is compose of
320 AKs & 320 T-80UD
while nearly 320 al-zarars are for counter insurgency operations
in north-west

if it makes everyone feel better then yes we have 600 AKs and 600 AZs but the reality is much different.

at 45-50 tanks a year being produced, just work back to the full-rate production year's for AKs and AZs and you will get your answers!

depending on pak print media can be dangerous - too many errors!

Amir bhai t-85(chinese varient) has already been phased out by al-khalids
pakistan's main battle tank thrust is compose of
320 AKs & 320 T-80UD
while nearly 320 al-zarars are for counter insurgency operations
in north-west

Sir, Al Zarrar is not for counter insurgency operations. Rather Al Zarrar had not been used up till the latest Swat Operations, since the COIN operations had started PA had been using T-55/59 tanks, but in this current Rah e Rast Operation we started to use AL Zarrar tanks, due to its better armor protection & its night fighting capability. And the number used are in either single digit or at the most reaching double digit figure.

i only have one question in my mind can al khalid kill merkava 4 with a single kill when merkava have very thick armour

during a lebnon war in 2006 merkava hit by 2 missiles but still its crew intect see it full u will analize it better

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

[url="http://

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir, Al Zarrar is not for counter insurgency operations. Rather Al Zarrar had not been used up till the latest Swat Operations, since the COIN operations had started PA had been using T-55/59 tanks, but in this current Rah e Rast Operation we started to use AL Zarrar tanks, due to its better armor protection & its night fighting capability. And the number used are in either single digit or at the most reaching double digit figure.

"Upgraded T-59
Though superseded by the Al-Khalid as the Pakistan Army's first line MBT, the Phase III Al-Zarrar version of the Type 59 has been upgraded and is adequate for training and emergency combat use"

[URL="http://

this can do the job for us but we dont have it we have tow

Last edited by a moderator:
"Upgraded T-59
Though superseded by the Al-Khalid as the Pakistan Army's first line MBT, the Phase III Al-Zarrar version of the Type 59 has been upgraded and is adequate for training and emergency combat use"

Thx sir, but i was trying to clear that dude, as he said all the 300+ AL Zarrar are for COIN operations.

i only have one question in my mind can al khalid kill merkava 4 with a single kill when merkava have very thick armour

Well with a DU round may be, it may not be able to penetrate its turret until a hit at a vulnerable point but as Merkava Engine is in the forward position, a good hit may disable it. Plus the ATGM in Lebanon war were mostly old ones but the new ones tandem warhead ATGM did penetrate Merkava tank, plus ERA and special kind of armor plays a very important role. Due to all these latest defensive techniques the new generation of ATGM are top-attack version as it then has a better chance to penetrate the turret and kill the tank.

Last edited:
javelian anti tank missile will i think and tow which we have im not too sure because tow hits its target in sea skiming mode but javelian can hit a target from above and sea skiming mode if tank is hiding it still can be hit with javelian. and i think al khalid 2 should have serious fire power in it so it can take heavy armour and have a titanium armour coating in its body so any anti tank missile should not penetrate it easily

Thx sir, but i was trying to clear that dude, as he said all the 300+ AL Zarrar are for COIN operations.

you must need to know that al-zarar are replacing t-59s

so in future waziristan operations we would might see
al-zarars taking part in counter-insurgency operations instead of outdated t-59s
al-zarars were not made to take part in war on
western front

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

no problem - your info is very updated!:enjoy:

am i correct sir that al-zarar are designed to take part in counter-insurgency operations?

Nightrider Sahib:

There not enough AK's to equip two armoured brigades so I guess the T-85 is still up there in the frontline inventory.

Al Zarrar is not being used in South -- it main gun will not be usefull for extreme long range duels expected in deserts of Cholistan, & Thar.

If we look and work back to the production capability of HIT/HRF not more than 350 tanks (al zarrar anf AK mix) have been produced -- so the T-85 in my opinion remains.

Cheers!!

Back
Top Bottom