What's new

Smart phones | Selection advice, New releases, Concepts

Redimi s2. try it
no Micromax Canvas series are better and also YU series are world class dude i am using it
Looking to buy a phone please recommend a good phone in sub 10k range.
Feature i want:
  1. Good battery backup
  2. At least 1GB of RAM
  3. Processor fast enough to run whatsapp and opera browser without lag.
  4. Good Display (4"-5" class)
  5. Front Cam (Rear Cam na bhi ho to chalega)

no Micromax Canvas series are better and also YU series are world class dude i am using it
I am a gadget freak , own almost all the mobiles which are out there . i even have a canvas nitro (which is the best in the canvas lineup) but being recently introduced to redmi . i must say i was impressed with the build and smoothness of the MIUI.
dont go on specks only , use the product then talk . I have!!!!

I am a gadget freak , own almost all the mobiles which are out there . i even have a canvas nitro (which is the best in the canvas lineup) but being recently introduced to redmi . i must say i was impressed with the build and smoothness of the MIUI.
no dude the best in Canvas line up is Canvas Knight it is damn awesome if you would have used it.
Also the specifications which he gave if he wants those features in less amount then he shpould really go for YU YUPHORIA

Some new releases today from Motorola

As it turns out, Motorola’s teaser invites did have a hidden message, and the company went out and announced three phones today. We already told you about the Moto G (3rd gen) and as it appears, the constant leaks surrounding it were mostly a distraction from even more intriguing announcements.

gsmarena_001.jpg

Motorola unveiled today the Moto X Style and Moto X Play – a flagship and an upper-midranger with plenty of “best-in-class” features, as the presenters were keen to point out on numerous occasions.

Motorola Moto X Style
The Moto X Style is the top model of the bunch, with the specs to prove it. It comes with a 5.7-inch QHD display with an exemplary 76% screen-to-body ratio. Motorola has managed to retain the front-facing stereo speakers as well, which makes the comparison to the Apple iPhone 6s and Samsung Galaxy S6 even more impressive.

gsmarena_002.jpg

The smartphone is powered by Snapdragon 808, a notch below Qualcomm’s flagship S810, but also LG’s choice for their current top model, the G4. There’s a 1.8GHz hexa-core CPU inside the chip, complemented by 3GB of RAM. Three storage options will be available, and the built-in 16/32/64GB will be expandable by up to 128GB via microSD.

The Moto X Style sports a 21MP primary camera, with an f/2.0 lens and phase detection autofocus, joined by what's dubbed a Dual Color Correlated Temperature (CCT) flash. Of course, the camera is capable of recording 4K video, in HDR too.

Motorola stresses that DxO rated the Moto X Style’s camera as one of the top three cameras in the world. No such claims are being made about the front snapper, but it does feature a 5MP sensor, 87-degree wide-angle lens, and a front-facing flash.

The smartphone comes with a 3,000mAh battery, which isn't record breaking but Motorola pointed out that the Moto X Style offers fast charging with a bundled TurboCharger 25, which will get you 34% of charge in as little as 15 minutes.

gsmarena_003.jpg

Now, there’s a reason why it’s called the Style, and part of that lies in the smoothly curved back with finely textured silicone rubber. A multitude of colors will be available, but also real wood panels as well as high-quality Horween leather backs. Not only that, but you’ll be able to choose among three different frame color options.

gsmarena_005.jpg

Exclusive to the US, there will be a Moto X Pure Edition, basically a Moto X Style, targeted at the free-spirited customer. It will be a carrier-unlocked version, sold directly from Motorola and it will support the LTE networks of all four major carriers in the country.

A recurrent theme throughout Motorola’s keynote was pricing, though obvious regional considerations prevented precise numbers. Still, the Motorola Moto X Style will cost $399 in the States, unlocked. Perhaps the only fly in the ointment is that you won’t be able to get one until September.

Motorola Moto X Play
The Moto X Play is the lower-specced of the two Xs but it does offer a balanced package geared towards better longevity.

This model comes with a slightly smaller 5.5-inch FullHD display, Snapdragon 615 chipset and 2GB of RAM. Only two storage options are present - 16GB and 32GB, but the microSD slot can provide an additional 128GB.

gsmarena_007.jpg

The 21MP f/2.0 camera has been carried over from the Style, though video capture is limited to 1080p (the S615 doesn’t support 2160p on a hardware level). The front shooter is a 5MP unit again, though it’s lost the flash in this model.

It is battery life Motorola is after with this one, and it comes with a 3,630mAh battery, which the company claims is good for 48 hours of mixed use. There’s fast charging supported, though the TurboCharger 15 is optional.

gsmarena_006.jpg

The Moto X Play will cost $299 and will be available sooner, with 60 countries globally getting it in August.

The Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) is finally official, putting an end to the endless rumor marathon. We already knew what to expect, but a very important detail eluded us, but it is now set in stone.

So fret not, the Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) does have 2GB of RAM, only not all versions of the smartphone. There are two options you can choose from and the 2GB of RAM come coupled with 16GB of storage, while a more modestly equipped 1GB/8GB variant is also available. A microSD slot allows expansion by up to 32GB in either model.

gsmarena_003.jpg

A 5-inch 720p display adorns the front of the smartphone, and it’s protected by Gorilla Glass 3. The Snapdragon 410 provides computing power with a 1.4GHz quad-core processor and Adreno 306 GPU inside. You get LTE support, as well as the obligatory Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS. The smartphone boots the latest Android 5.1.1 too, so no surprises here either.

The primary camera is a 13MP unit, aided by a dual-LED dual-tone flash. On the front, there’s a 5MP selfie shooter.

The Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) measures 142.1 x 72.4 x 11.6mm, though the thickness does go down to 6.1mm towards the edges. It weighs 155g, and Motorola have upped battery capacity to 2,470mAh, compared to the 2,070mAh of the predecessor.

Perhaps what’s most important in terms of hardware, is the IPx7 certification, which makes the handset capable of surviving after being submerged in up to 1m of water for up to 30 minutes.

gsmarena_004.jpg

The Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) is available starting today, though obviously not every retailer has been quick enough to react. So far we have a UK price of £160 for the 1GB/8GB version, and in India the lower-specced model retails for INR 11,999 (~$187), while the 16GB version is INR 12,999 (~$203).

OnePlus 2 goes official with Snapdragon 810 and $329 price tag

After numerous leaks and hype-filled teasers, OnePlus 2 is finally official. The successor ofOnePlus One features a magnesium frame and metal buttons. Both solutions are a drastic improvement over the company’s first generation smartphone.

main2.jpg

Pricing of the OnePlus 2 kicks off at $329 for a model with 16GB of built-in memory. The 64GB top-end version will cost $389.

gsmarena_004.jpg

OnePlus 2 will have StyleSwap covers with various finishes that include bamboo, kevlar, black apricot, and rosewood. Black with sandstone finish will be the default choice out of the box.

gsmarena_005.jpg

As expected, OnePlus 2 features Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 SoC, coupled with either 4GB of RAM and 64GB of built-in memory or 16GB of storage and 3GB of RAM. The handset’s display has remained unchanged in size and resolution from OnePlus One - it is a 5.5” 1080p unit. The latter is brighter and with more accurate color reproduction than the screen found in OnePlus One.

The camera of the smartphone is a 13MP unit with optical image stabilization, laser focus, and 1.3 µm pixels. Video capture capabilities include 4K clips, as well as 720p slow-motion footage at 120fps. A 5MP front-facing unit will be in charge of selfies.

gsmarena_003.jpg

The fingerprint sensor found in OnePlus 2 is said to be faster than the one found in iPhone 6. Users can store up to five fingerprints in the device. A 3,300mAh battery powers the handset.

gsmarena_002.jpg

USB Type-C is the standard connectivity port on OnePlus 2. There will be a bundled adapter which will allow users to take advantage of microUSB accessories. OnePlus 2 will also feature dual-nanoSIM functionality, as well as 4G LTE connectivity.

Physical measures of the device are 151.8 x 74.9 x 9.85 mm. Its weight tips the scale at 175 grams.

Once again OnePlus will require an invite for its latest smartphone. However, this time around the manufacturer promises that invites will be much easier to get a hold of due to larger inventory.

OnePlus 2 will be available to order in a number of key markets on August 11. More countries will get the device later this year.

I have oneplus one. After few months I grew tired of it. Great phone quite flawless in functions very good value. But the problem with oneplus or any phone that uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU is the device becomes hot as a oven and that causes a lot of damage to the device.

For me there's only one brand that never disappoints: SONY................These days using LG G4, while the screen is quite in a league of it's own....In a cell fone it seems like an overkill and the rest of the fone is just mediocre. Cant wait to get rid of it and get back to Sony.

will take decdes to compete i phone.
No doubt iOs is snappy and user-friendly which makes it a pretty solid os. But Android has its own perks such as customization, you can't call one better than the other. It's just about personal preference :)

@jbgt90

Wow! You are THE MAN bro! :)

I did not know PDF had a thread which could help me in my current phone replacement search.

My Nokia Asha 501 fell out of my pocket on a ride and a car went over it. The screen is smashed, but the touch is still working! Damn tough phone these Nokia. Love them man. Hate my son's Lumia though. He is on his third screen.

This was my first touch screen phone. Which got me hooked on to whatsapp and browzing my favorite forums. No emails. No gps. No games. And realized its almost totally replaced a standalone camera, so want my next one with a competent camera.

Don't want those obscene sized ones which look ridiculous holding to your ears. I'm guessing 4.7" is as big as you can go. Even 5" looks big. Plus weird to hold and type.

Want something which has fast Internet for browzing and whatsapp. Want a really decent camera. And probably Google maps too (though I have a standalone Garmin NUVI PDA in my Safari Storme for my trips).

Am wondering if 2GB/16GB is really such a big improvement for my needs, or would 1GB/8GB be overkill for the above.

Also, I am an Android newbie (Asha was really user friendly with the side swipe thingy and the fastlane concept - Nokia's rock in user interface). So Kitkat and lolipop are chocolate and candy for me. :)

Basically I want something that has a nice vibrant display, is not buggy/stuttering/slow/hangy, a good camera with flash, especially one which takes decent photos in low light settings as well (rear - not a selfie freak), fast internet browzing/whatsapping/email loading, some nice LOUD alarm tones, and it should look subtly classy and not blingy (black with hint of metal being my favorite).

So the ones I have been looking at are

Yu Yuphoria and Redmi 2 Prime - both 2GB/16GB, and both for 7k

Redmi 2 - 1GB/8GB, 6k

Yu Yunique (new launch) - 1GB/8GB, 5k

Been reading reviews online and am confused. So was hoping for a hand on in depth pros/cons comparo and a recommendation!

An others in the 5-7K price range equally good, please feel free to recommend as well (Lennovo - 2010, A6000/+, Honor, Canvas, Moto E, etc.)

Any Nokia? I really wish .....

P.S. Have registered for the Yu Yunique flash sale tomorrow, but will probably give it a miss and wait for feedback from the first week. Its seems to be everything the Redmi 2 is at 1K less. Yes it does not have some sensors (compass, etc.) and the Redmi camera people say is better. Also better display.

Of the Yuphoria and Redmi 2 Prime, the Yuphoria has a better front camera (5MP vs 2MP) and aside from that is better looking (metal rim, slimmer, lighter, etc.).

All are 4G LTE compatible of course. Forgot to mention that as a must/good to have.

Lastly, if I'm not gaming (I never do), does the 2/16 make a difference over the 1/8?

Is it better to have native pure Android lolipop (Yunique) compared to the Cyanogen (Yuphoria)?

And the Redmis have kitkat, which is supposed to be buggy? Also heard of many saying overheating issues (not there in the upgraded Prime ....)?

All of the above is what I've heard or read. No personal experience or expertise whatsoever.

Please help!

Last edited:
@jbgt90

I did not know PDF had a thread which could help me in my current phone replacement search.

My Nokia Asha 501 fell out of my pocket on a ride and a car went over it. The screen is smashed, but the touch is still working! Damn tough phone these Nokia. Love them man. Hate my son's Lumia though. He is on his third screen.

This was my first touch screen phone. Which got me hooked on to whatsapp and browzing my favorite forums. No emails. No gps. No games. And realized its almost totally replaced a standalone camera, so want my next one with a competent camera.

Don't want those obscene sized ones which look ridiculous holding to your ears. I'm guessing 4.7" is as big as you can go. Even 5" looks big. Plus weird to hold and type.

Want something which has fast Internet for browzing and whatsapp. Want a really decent camera. And probably Google maps too (though I have a standalone Garmin NUVI PDA in my Safari Storme for my trips).

Am wondering if 2GB/16GB is really such a big improvement for my needs, or would 1GB/8GB be overkill for the above.

Also, I am an Android newbie (Asha was really user friendly with the side swipe thingy and the fastlane concept - Nokia's rock in user interface). So Kitkat and lolipop are chocolate and candy for me. :)

Basically I want something that has a nice vibrant display, is not buggy/stuttering/slow/hangy, a good camera with flash, especially one which takes decent photos in low light settings as well (rear - not a selfie freak), fast internet browzing/whatsapping/email loading, some nice LOUD alarm tones, and it should look subtly classy and not blingy (black with hint of metal being my favorite).

Redmi 2 - 1GB/8GB, 6k

Been reading reviews online and am confused. So was hoping for a hand on in depth pros/cons comparo and a recommendation!

An others in the 5-7K price range equally good, please feel free to recommend as well (Lennovo - 2010, A6000/+, Honor, Canvas, Moto E, etc.)

P.S. Have registered for the Yu Yunique flash sale tomorrow, but will probably give it a miss and wait for feedback from the first week. Its seems to be everything the Redmi 2 is at 1K less. Yes it does not have some sensors (compass, etc.) and the Redmi camera people say is better. Also better display.

Of the Yuphoria and Redmi 2 Prime, the Yuphoria has a better front camera (5MP vs 2MP) and aside from that is better looking (metal rim, slimmer, lighter, etc.).

All are 4G LTE compatible of course. Forgot to mention that as a must/good to have.

Lastly, if I'm not gaming (I never do), does the 2/16 make a difference over the 1/8?

Is it better to have native pure Android lolipop (Yunique) compared to the Cyanogen (Yuphoria)?

And the Redmis have kitkat, which is supposed to be buggy? Also heard of many saying overheating issues (not there in the upgraded Prime ....)?

All of the above is what I've heard or read. No personal experience or expertise whatsoever.

Please help!
Considering the questions you have asked me i think it would be best if we speak . Let me call you .

@jbgt90

Redmi 2 - 1GB/8GB, 6k

Please help!
The Phs you have mentioned above , i have them all and i would advice against any micromax device. Redmi note 4g (flipkart or airtel store) is a better option at 7999. Yes it does tend to get a little hot but its great.
Yes having 2 gb ram does make a difference.
MiUi is great and very customizable very like cynogen mod. If on the other hand you do want cynogen then i would advice the Yu Eureka plus.
If you like Nokia(like me) i would advice the Nokia 730 , (do not go for microsoft PH) Go for the old nokia lumia (still available on flipkart)
The Nokia 730 has a decent camera . dual sim , great battery life (no 4g though) But if you have an idea sim you can get up to 13mbps speeds in Pune. (i have one so i know)
The Yunique is not that good a ph . if you have more than four apps running simultaneously it tends to lag a lot.

I have oneplus one. After few months I grew tired of it. Great phone quite flawless in functions very good value. But the problem with oneplus or any phone that uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU is the device becomes hot as a oven and that causes a lot of damage to the device.

almost all android phones uses Qualcomm snapdragon CPU except few latest models of samung and Chinese huawei who use its own chipset but its normal for smart mobiles to get hot when you do multi tasking for long time or play graphic intensive games

For me there's only one brand that never disappoints: SONY................These days using LG G4, while the screen is quite in a league of it's own....In a cell fone it seems like an overkill and the rest of the fone is just mediocre. Cant wait to get rid of it and get back to Sony.
I have been using all latest smart phones as normally dont stick with one for more than few months and i have noticed that there is nothing called perfect smartphone in every sense. Samsung latest smart phones have best camera especially s5/s6/note 4/5 etc and their battery life is also great but their software or touchwiz suck . HTC smart phones m8/m9/e8/e9/desire eye give you best sound you could ever get in smartphones as no others brand give you such boomsound with great loudness and deep bass but htc phones have average or probably worse camera

Sony smartphones give you ip ratings(water dust proof) and they have great battery life and design is also premium and you get update to latest android version very quickly as my z2 is running 5.1.1 from few months now and sony keep pushing update but camera quality is again average compare to Samsung and they also have heat issues when you record 4k video or play games. I like the software of sony so they are good all-round phones. i wish sony improve its camera quality as its not just pixel game..dont know why their mobiles are not selling well

Why are flash sales such a pain in the buttocks man?

What's the problem selling them more than once every week?

Back
Top Bottom