What's new

Slumdog Millionaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
The film had very poor reviews in India. It was criticized for protraying India in poor light and neglecting the strides India has made recently . No less than Mr Bachan said that SM portrayed India as a "Third World dirty underbelly developing nation".In India it was thought as western view of India . But picture abhi baqi he mere dost ...... SM wins golden globe , It gets most nominations for oscars and suddenly SM becomes Indian Film and guess what No less than Mr bachan is forced to concede that he didn't criticize picture he only wanted to initiate a debate .

Moral of picture : INDIA CAN GO TO ANY LENGTH TO GET WESTERN AWARD .EVEN IF IT MEANS TO CLAIM A MUCH CRITICIZED (BY THEM) AS THIER OWN . :coffee:

Actually, Indian media has praised the movie across the board.

Also, Bachchan said that the comments were not his but of a contributor on his blogsite. Get your news updated.

The film had very poor reviews in India. It was criticized for protraying India in poor light and neglecting the strides India has made recently . No less than Mr Bachan said that SM portrayed India as a "Third World dirty underbelly developing nation".In India it was thought as western view of India . But picture abhi baqi he mere dost ...... SM wins golden globe , It gets most nominations for oscars and suddenly SM becomes Indian Film and guess what No less than Mr bachan is forced to concede that he didn't criticize picture he only wanted to initiate a debate .

Moral of picture : INDIA CAN GO TO ANY LENGTH TO GET WESTERN AWARD .EVEN IF IT MEANS TO CLAIM A MUCH CRITICIZED (BY THEM) AS THIER OWN . :coffee:

Any link for your claim..
Here is a link which says oppositte
Slumdog Millionaire-English-Movie Reviews-Entertainment-The Times of India

Something has happened in the years between these films, to western as well as to Indian sensibilities. The reasons are complicated, but perhaps the main ones are that Indian society is a thousand times more confident, that the word "vulgar" has vanished from the critical lexicon, and that the world has grown very small.

The same charge is now levelled against Boyle. His "poverty ****" is damaging the image of a country on the brink of becoming a superpower. So far as I can tell, that's a minority opinion. Fewer people now believe that a single film can represent the Indian generality - supposing such a thing exists - to a foreign audience, who knows, or should know, of India's tremendous variety and compelling social change.

The author is spot on here. The confidence partly, rises from the belief that every Indian irresp of sexual orientation, family background, religious beliefs, or level of education has an opportunity to succeed and make it in life. Those who cannot should not be pitied, those who do should be followed. I am not apologetic, or shocked at the display of hedonism by the rich or the "poverty **** display" of the poor. The extreme juxtaposition in India is unique and Indians have to a large extent come to embrace it.

there are now trips around Dharavi, the Slumdog slum, to show tourists that feistiness at work.

Trips have been going on for some years. Dharavi I have heard is lower middle class in some parts too. Lots of factories producing goods destined for western nations.

:)

i've been following the move from the time of its shooting in india. what u r saying abt the reaction in india is false. the movie always had good reviews in india. some critics critisized it, and is their right, but an overwhelming majority of critics and moviebuffs loved the movie. its not the first movie abt the 'dark side', there have been many, rem salaam bombay? very successful in india. rem satyajeet ray? he did not try to put a gloss on things - successful in india first and then won a lifetime oscar too.

moral of the picture : SOME PEOPLE HAVE WRITTEN MORALS FIRST, AND THEN THEY GO AND WRITE THEIR FANCIFUL 'ANALYSES' LATER.

the movie was based on a novella by an Indian...though Danny Boyle's touch did the magic.

Any link for your claim..
Here is a link which says oppositte
Slumdog Millionaire-English-Movie Reviews-Entertainment-The Times of India

This is after golden globe , after oscar nomination after so many international accolades . Even in this review you can see reviewer trying to defend film as not poverty **** . It is obvoius that film did rile many indian nationalists in blogosphere but that can be forgiven as it is Indias best chance to win Oscar even if it is surreptitiously.

This is after golden globe , after oscar nomination after so many international accolades . Even in this review you can see reviewer trying to defend film as not poverty **** . It is obvoius that film did rile many indian nationalists in blogosphere but that can be forgiven as it is Indias best chance to win Oscar even if it is surreptitiously.

What is this syndrome..
WE know there were some critics ..Each and every film released in India will have mixed reviews because of large followers and many reviews..What you expect every review should be a replica of other..?
Have ou seen celebration in mumbai,news coverage the movie got and all..
Life is multidimensional your view may not be entirely correct..
:wave::wave:

What is this syndrome..
WE know there were some critics ..Each and every film released in India will have mixed reviews because of large followers and many reviews..What you expect every review should be a replica of other..?
Have ou seen celebration in mumbai,news coverage the movie got and all..
Life is multidimensional your view may not be entirely correct..
:wave::wave:

My premisis in entirely above how it is reviewed in India . What Im saying is that after glut of awrds and appreciation Indians are now trying too hard to claim film as there own. This was not the case earlier when it was another film made by british director with indian cast ridiculing poverty and squalur in India .
PS : I think SM to large extent is Indian film inasmuch its cast , story and music is indian . So im not criticizing the claim that SM is an Indian film but the resaon behind such claim . The reason is SM won lot of global awrds that india was craving for .

My premisis in entirely above how it is reviewed in India . What Im saying is that after glut of awrds and appreciation Indians are now trying too hard to claim film as there own. This was not the case earlier when it was another film made by british director with indian cast ridiculing poverty and squalur in India .
PS : I think SM to large extent is Indian film inasmuch its cast , story and music is indian . So im not criticizing the claim that SM is an Indian film but the resaon behind such claim . The reason is SM won lot of global awrds that india was craving for .

Even now many reviewers feel that the movie is bad, even shiv sena says so. And even now Mr. Bachan said oscars are not the ultimate.. and also his words where taken out of context!! Many in india still feel that the same projects india in bad light even now, but many still believes the picture is wonderful, you can go to yahoo movies and read the user reiviews, i have been following the feel since it released in us and i always wanted this filim to do big..!!! So your efforts to project a hypocracy is not justifed... as you are projecting two different opinions of different sections of the people and trying to project it as a hypocracy of the country as a whole..!!!!!!!!

y is everyone saying slumdog millionaire is an indian film when its actually a british film? :what:
i mean it didnt even release in india until recently after 2 months releasing officially
only the actors are indian as well as some of the cast but the director, the producer, the distrubter, and most of the cast are british.
Most of the Cast are British? Man You got it wrong. The actors were Indian, the Story is by an Indian Diplomat, adapted from His Novel Q&A.

Shiv Sena always have to pipe up like idiots. Why can't Bal Thackeray die already? Isn't he old enough yet?

Very nice movie. As much as some people critisize it, fact remains, it is a joint-effort of both hollywood and bollywood.

While winning a Golden Globe is good, it don't see what the big deal with it is. I mean why dont Indian's consider their own awards equally valuable, IMO this is a inferiority complex.

Very nice movie. As much as some people critisize it, fact remains, it is a joint-effort of both hollywood and bollywood.

Hollywood was not involved.. Danny Boyle is a British film-maker.

While winning a Golden Globe is good, it don't see what the big deal with it is. I mean why dont Indian's consider their own awards equally valuable, IMO this is a inferiority complex.

The Golden Globe Awards are presented annually by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) to recognize outstanding achievements in the entertainment industry, both domestic and foreign, and to focus wide public attention upon the best in motion pictures and television.
Golden Globe Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom