What's new

Sky is the limit in India-Japan relationship: Shinzo Abe's advisor

Rahul9090

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: The sky is the limit in the India-Japan relationship, a senior Japanese official said today, pinning high hopes on the cooperation between the two nations, particularly in the fields of nuclear energy and defence.

"Japan and India can strengthen their relationship in the realms of foreign policy, economy and regional security in the Indo-Pacific.
"The two countries should collaborate on development cooperation in African nations. Strengthening the defence architecture and nuclear energy are other areas of convergence," Tomohiko Taniguchi, Special Advisor to the Cabinet of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said.

Addressing a seminar "India's Japan Moment: Leaders Must Capitalise" from Tokyo through videoconferencing, he said, "This is also Japan's India moment. India holds a special place in Prime Minister Abe's mind."

Speaking ahead of the expected Japan visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, he said, "Sky is the limit for the Delhi-Tokyo relationship. India has to be a part of Japan's new narrative in the run-up to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics."

He added that since both are mature democracies, it was easier to adhere to international laws.

Taniguchi said that it was not only India's Japan moment, but also Japan's India moment.

The Japanese PM's special advisor added that leaders of both the countries are big names in the international community, but cooperation between the two would make it bigger. Initiatives like East Asia Summit, of which India and Japan are members, have to grow.

"Modi and Abe are big leaders (internationally). But together they can grow higher," he said.

Read more at:
Sky is the limit in India-Japan relationship: Shinzo Abe's advisor - The Economic Times

What do you say @Nihonjin1051 buddy?

How do you see this coming up considering that you are kicking out Article 9 from your constitution? :)

What do you say @Nihonjin1051 buddy?

How do you see this coming up considering that you are kicking out Article 9 from your constitution? :)

We have already a dynamic relationship with India ranging from military exercises [Exercise Malabar, RIMPAC], which allows both of our militaries to show and build interoperability in security operations, to political and economic partnerships. In regards to political partnerships, the recent visit of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Akihito and Her Imperial Majesty Empress Michiko to India was a sign of flowering cooperation between Japan and India. It is important for India to have a strong and able leader such as Modi to sit on the helm, as a stable India not only benefits South Asia, but Asia in general. In regards to economics, we also hope that India will remove further barriers to more Japanese companies to invest in the subcontinent. As there are already over 1,000 Japanese businesses in India, we can only expect this number to grow , fostered and cultivated by fond Japanese and Indian relations. With the entrance of Japanese military exports into the world market and paradigm shift from being an inward-based strategic policy to an external oriented policy, I believe that Japan will find a natural ally and partner in India in addition to our friends in South Asia , and ASEAN.

ahhh.... great news ...!!!!
I am very eagerly waiting for Modi visit to japan..... japan can help India in developing and we can help japan in its regional Issues...Anyway I am already a great fan of Japan ....I know this relationship is going to be headache for few regional countries ..but if japan and India collaborate genuinely and whole heatedly....then we can shine together.... japan has money ..we have work force....and will to co-operate with each other.....The Emperor and Empress visited india after 65 years....that was certainly a great moment....I want to visit japan , but few complications won't suit me there...and the most complex part is food...being a veggie ...japan is no place for people like me...:sad:
any way...we are natural allies and and are having common type of problem....our mutual co-operation will certainly be beneficial for both of us... I would like to see Indo-japan trade touching 500-700 billion $....in coming decade...it wuld be great....truly...

We have already a dynamic relationship with India ranging from military exercises [Exercise Malabar, RIMPAC], which allows both of our militaries to show and build interoperability in security operations, to political and economic partnerships. In regards to political partnerships, the recent visit of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Akihito and Her Imperial Majesty Empress Michiko to India was a sign of flowering cooperation between Japan and India. It is important for India to have a strong and able leader such as Modi to sit on the helm, as a stable India not only benefits South Asia, but Asia in general. In regards to economics, we also hope that India will remove further barriers to more Japanese companies to invest in the subcontinent. As there are already over 1,000 Japanese businesses in India, we can only expect this number to grow , fostered and cultivated by fond Japanese and Indian relations. With the entrance of Japanese military exports into the world market and paradigm shift from being an inward-based strategic policy to an external oriented policy, I believe that Japan will find a natural ally and partner in India in addition to our friends in South Asia , and ASEAN.

I totally agree. In fact there ahould be more bilateral cooperation in defense other than having USA in the middle as a mediator.

They have a good exercise regime with us but that should be separate from our mutual engagements.

I totally agree. In fact there ahould be more bilateral cooperation in defense other than having USA in the middle as a mediator.

They have a good exercise regime with us but that should be separate from our mutual engagements.

The United States has served as a link to allow Japan and India to work with each other. Should and could Japan and India hold bilateral military exercises? I think both should and could. Both of our revered nations depend on our exports and imports, and the merchant fleet is vital to this, the lifeblood of our nations' operations. So it is only natural that the Indian Navy and the JMSDF have a robust relationship in command and control of sea lanes.

The United States has served as a link to allow Japan and India to work with each other. Should and could Japan and India hold bilateral military exercises? I think both should and could. Both of our revered nations depend on our exports and imports, and the merchant fleet is vital to this, the lifeblood of our nations' operations. So it is only natural that the Indian Navy and the JMSDF have a robust relationship in command and control of sea lanes.

You know that there is nothing stopping us from directly engaging right? :).
US partnership is appreciable but considering that you manage the Eastern Sea and we manage the Indian Ocean, we should engage in more serious military cooperation.

Naval cooperation being the foundation, we should also hold army and air force exercises. Land maneuvers, armoured training and counter terrorism are critical areas where India and Japan should work together. Even though Japan is far away from Jihadi terror, you never know when trouble comes and therefore you need to deal with them head on.

I am myself from a military family with all of my brothers in different services of indian military.

Personally it would be a delight to see Mitsubishi F-2s flying in formation with HAL Tejas and MKIs. :)

ahhh.... great news ...!!!!
I am very eagerly waiting for Modi visit to japan..... japan can help India in developing and we can help japan in its regional Issues...Anyway I am already a great fan of Japan ....I know this relationship is going to be headache for few regional countries ..but if japan and India collaborate genuinely and whole heatedly....then we can shine together.... japan has money ..we have work force....and will to co-operate with each other.....The Emperor and Empress visited india after 65 years....that was certainly a great moment....I want to visit japan , but few complications won't suit me there...and the most complex part is food...being a veggie ...japan is no place for people like me...:sad:
any way...we are natural allies and and are having common type of problem....our mutual co-operation will certainly be beneficial for both of us... I would like to see Indo-japan trade touching 500-700 billion $....in coming decade...it wuld be great....truly...

Profound post, my friend. Thank You.

:).
US partnership is appreciable but considering that you manage the Eastern Sea and we manage the Indian Ocean, we should engage in more serious military cooperation.

Excuse me, India does not "manage" the Indian Ocean.

The US Navy could pulverize your whole Navy at any time just by using one of their 11 CBGs.

Both Pakistan and BD are building up their Navies so you will have more competition in the future.

The US Navy could pulverize your whole Navy at any time just by using one of their 11 CBGs.

Both Pakistan and BD are building up their Navies so you will have more competition in the future.
The US navy can pulverise any other force on earth.That does not mean they go around challenging just about anyone.They prefer not to fight with foes powerful enough.They have other methods to achieve their goals.You may cry and cringe all you want,but it is the INDIAN OCEAN and the IN is the one in control of it.No two bit fishing trawler coast guard calling itself as navy can change that.

The US navy can pulverise any other force on earth.That does not mean they go around challenging just about anyone.They prefer not to fight with foes powerful enough.They have other methods to achieve their goals.You may cry and cringe all you want,but it is the INDIAN OCEAN and the IN is the one in control of it.No two bit fishing trawler coast guard calling itself as navy can change that.

Next decade Chinese Navy will be making its presence felt in Indian Ocean with its CBGs that are being built at this very moment.

India will never be allowed to have any control of Indian Ocean so stop your wet dreams.

BD building up its Navy is not a competition to India but an asset to India. Only the jamatis think otherwise.

Secondly, Pakistan's Navy is a joke. Give it a decade and our Coast guard will have a better equipped surface fleet than Pakistan Navy.

BD building up its Navy is not a competition to India but an asset to India. Only the jamatis think otherwise.

Secondly, Pakistan's Navy is a joke. Give it a decade and our Coast guard will have a better equipped surface fleet than Pakistan Navy.

Hasina and Awami League wont be in power forever:rolleyes1:

Next decade Chinese Navy will be making its presence felt in Indian Ocean with its CBGs that are being built at this very moment.

India will never be allowed to have any control of Indian Ocean so stop your wet dreams.
Apart from USN, IN will remain the most dominant Navy of IOR. And so it would be India managing the Indian Ocean. Tough luck if you dont like it.

Hasina and Awami League wont be in power forever:rolleyes1:
Yes, Zia will replace her.
She will be no different for us. She has already indicated that she has changed her ways with regard to India.

Bangladesh Navy will be an asset to India when either of AL or BNP come to power.

The Jamaatis will never come to power again though.

Back
Top Bottom