What's new

Single Engine Gripen NG may win MMRCA

Not sure about the mindset but the F-16 does not fit into the Indian doctrine. For one it is a legacy platform which is going to be discontinued within the next 5 years as the F-35 comes on line. Second the Viper is basically an air defense fighter. With the Sukhoi MKI present in large numbers why would they need the smaller F-16 to do the same purpose?

The Gripen will also not win the competition...just buy more of the LCA instead of the Gripen if needed. Euro fighter again does the same role as the MKI so why buy it?

That leaves the Rafale and the SH..both superb true multi role aircrafts. The Rafale is damn expensive and french weapons also cost a lot. The SH is the best buy to replace all the obsolete Mig-27's in the inventory for the ground attack role.

What about Mig-35?

The new Boeing plane is still in the finishing stage. These planes are all in the production/service stage. They are matured products. I think India is still unsure of the cost.

Cost is a major factor. Factory production may also encounter problems with certain supplies of materials perhaps delaying it by a bit. Though I don't believe the Air force will be willing to accept even more delays and will surely do some arm bending of the government if that were to be the case.

Gripen is very good cost effective platform.

But in A2G ROLE its inferior to SH and Rafale.. Why not buy better if u have no shortage of funds?

Gripen was also finalized by PAF but later dropped in favor of JFT.

Lie. jf-17 cannot be compared with Gripen.

Sweden denied to sell pakistan any offensive weapons....

Musharraf serious about reform, says Swedish FM

July 7, 2004

STOCKHOLM: Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf is working purposefully toward reform inside his country and in relation to neighbouring India, Swedish Foreign Minister Laila Freivalds said after a meeting with the visiting president here on Tuesday.

"I basically had a good impression of him ... He is a very open person with a clear idea of what needs to be done ... to reform his country," Freivalds told reporters. She added that the Swedish government, a vocal defender of human rights around the world, had no qualms about meeting with a leader who had come to power through a military coup.

"We are of the opinion that if we think a political dialogue is possible and can help us influence the development, we’ll choose to have the dialogue," she said, pointing out that it was also essential if Pakistan and India are to ever start disarming their nuclear weapons or solve the Kashmir conflict.

"Intense work in this area is going on, and it is important that both parties have the ambition to try to find ... a possibility to start disarming, something that is not even on the table today," Freivalds said.

The Swedish minister also said she was impressed by Musharraf’s plans to improve women’s rights in his country and in neighbouring Afghanistan. "He convincingly said that this question is a priority from his point of view, not least from an educational standpoint ... He has introduced (gender) quotas in his parliament and brought a young, female parliamentary representative with him on his trip here," she said.

During their talk on Tuesday, Musharraf and Freivalds also discussed increasing trade between their two countries.

However, Freivalds insisted that Sweden would not consider selling weapons to Pakistan. "There is no question of selling them weapons or anything directly related to weapons today," she said, adding that the government had yet to decide whether the Erieye radar system would be considered a weapon. "We have yet to reach that stage" in the negotiations, she said.

Sweden won't sell Gripen fighter planes to Pakistan
July 07, 2004 16:30 IST

In a setback to Pakistan's efforts to get new generation Swedish-made Gripen fighter planes, Stockholm has said that it will not sell any weapons or weapon-related equipment to Islamabad [ Images ].

"There is no question of selling them weapons or anything directly related to weapons," Swedish Foreign Minister Laila Freivalds said after her talks with visiting Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf [ Images ] in Stockholm on Tuesday.

Before his talks with Freivalds, Musharraf, who is currently on a tour of Scandinavian countries, said Pakistan might be interested in purchasing JAS Gripen fighter planes from Sweden. "Pakistan is looking for a high-tech aircraft. Gripen is one of several alternatives," he was quoted as saying by Swedish newswire TT.

Freivalds also said the Swedish government has yet to decide whether to sell Erieye radars, which was sought to be purchased by Pakistan for its Air Force.

She said a decision has to be made whether the radar came under the category of weapons. "We have yet to reach that
stage," she said.

Pakistan Air Force has been looking to acquire new generation aircraft to modernise its ageing fleet after US declined to sell old or new F-16 fighter planes to it.

Gripen is very good cost effective platform.

But in A2G ROLE its inferior to SH and Rafale.. Why not buy better if u have no shortage of funds?

@XINIX
I SINCERELY AGREE WITH YOU SIR.
GRIPEN IS JUST A COST EFFECTIVE.AND IN COMPARSION WITH EF,RAFALE AND SH IT IS MUCH INFERIOR
WE SHOULD NOT BUY THIS PLANE BCOZ IT IS COMPARABLE WITH OUR TEJAS.

The major problem i see with the Gripen winning MMRCA deal is 1. Manufacturer nation Sweden is not going to be a impressive strategic partner for India, especially when a large amount of money is at stake. Plus India wont need another LCA.

Is this only me that still wants to see Eurofighter in IAF color?

@lila..

Well Typhoon is good but see these facts :

1. We need a good A2G machine, Typoon is weakest in this fature even behind Gripen NG.

2. HUGE COST.

3. No Strategic/Political Advantage

4. AESA NOT READY.

5. Our MKI is a perfect Air Dominance cum Multi Role Fighter... And we shall have a Gen G fighter by 2020 ... Why go and get a 4th gen fighter when we can and will get a new generation machine very soon ??

Because the PAK FA is only a max of 10 years away and MMRCA will not start to arrive until 2014 ITS VERY IMPORTANT that cost is take into account.

We cant sign a $80m dollar plane for MMRCA with deliverys to start in 2014

If 6 years later we start the $25 billion for PAK FA in 2020.

These massive deals could collide into each other

shortage of fund is totally out of question,although IAF had said that they will settle for a single engine fighter if it settles all the requirement,but that does not mean Grippen is going to win,we does not have this MRCA if their was any shortage of fund,rather we would had settled with what we have in our hand,inducting LCA mk-1,IAF will be inducting 300 FGFA's,the number should not that large if money ever was a problem

1. We need a good A2G machine, Typoon is weakest in this fature even behind Gripen NG.

Agreed

2. HUGE COST.

so do they also have many benefits,3rd smallest RCS,good A2A machine

is not that a good factor

4. AESA NOT READY.

They r working on it,besides who else have AESA other than American's

5. Our MKI is a perfect Air Dominance cum Multi Role Fighter... And we shall have a Gen G fighter by 2020 ... Why go and get a 4th gen fighter when we can and will get a new generation machine very soon ??

Does not MRCA was introduced because of our crippling numbers and Tejas was nowhere in sight

I wouldnt mind F-16IN S.V. in Indian colors..

varghese-albums-pics-picture3736-f-16-super-viper.jpg

:cheers::cheers:

i would cos our neighbors are masters in it. and they are getting new f16 block d with similiar capabilities .. no need to take unnecessary chances..

@lila..

2. HUGE COST.

4. AESA NOT READY.

why aint there any strategic or political advantage if typhoon wins the mrca? as far as i know EADS has invited India to become a partner of the Eurofighter Typhoon programme if the Typhoon wins the contract, and will be given technological and development participation in future tranches of the Typhoon,CEO of EADS Defense Department has said that if India becomes the fifth partner of the Eurofighter programme, it will be able to manufacture assemblies for new Euro fighters. about the AESA radars ,they will be ready and fitted by the time the first batch or aircrafts come out of our hangers. IMHO this will create a lot of job opportunity and also strengthen out ties with the three EU giants... please correct me if i am wrong .regards..

Quite an interesting choice it would be for the Indian side. But considering the geography and the combat theatre your air force is likely to operate, I doubt that your chiefs would want to opt for a fighter with such a limited combat radius. For instance, the Gripen would easily cover the entire length and width of my country as well as most European countries. However, that is not the case with your country.

I have been following your procurement updates, but considering the time line that is being taken, I believe your political authorities are simply delaying this for untold reasons as 3 years of speculation is quite a sufficient time to decide which fighter a country should procure. If not, then it simply means the decision-making process in your military is not apt enough.

The Gripen NG in my view fits the bill for the MRCA almost like a glove.
The impression among a few here that it overlaps the LCA is absurd as well.
The only problem is the unproven A2G capabilities which can be taken care of in a few months. It is by far the better choice.

Back
Top Bottom