What's new

Should we make a Petition to change the Devanagari script of Bangla!?

Are we ready for this? Will you support the Bangladesh people for this CHANGE?

• Total voters
I DON'T BELIEVE MY EYES..........where has the bengali nationalism and pride gone??!!!you guys are trying to change the script of the language your mother taught you,for Allah's sake its your mother language people respect it! here i see you people have started sowing seeds of her destruction??!......why are u guys so bent on becoming arabs :tsk:
For all muslims (including me) religion comes first:angel:

Some few differences between West Bengal and East Bengal Bangla. These are basically few words which may have been due to the influence of Islam and also our rulers and administrators in this part of greater India were from Afghan-Iran-Arab axis some hundreds of years ago. Bangladeshi Bangla has a hint of Urdu in it... Dhakiya Bangla has heavy Urdu influence and a Kolkatta Bengali may not understand the words. Then I must say that it's a bit difficult for us the BD Bangla speakers to understand a few of the words used by "Dhakiya" people who mix Urdu words with Bangla words heavily, but understandable.
1. Water: Pani = Jal
2. Mister: Janab = Mohashay
3. Hello: Salaam = Namasker
4. Father: Abba = Baba
5. Mother: Amma = Maa
6. Elder Sister: Apa = Didi
7. Brother: Bhai = Dada
8. Invitation: Dawat = Nimantran
9. Breakfast: Nasta = Jal Khabar
10. Paternal Grandfather: Dada = Thakur Dada
11. Maternal Grandfather: Nana = Dadu
10. Paternal Grandmother: Dadi = Thakur Maa
11. Maternal Grandmother: Nani = Didi Maa
12. Maternal Auntie: Khala = Mashi Maa
13. Maternal Uncle: Mama = Mama
14. Maternal Auntie's Spouse: Khalu = Mesho Moshai
15. Maternal Uncle's Spouse: Mami = Mami
12. Paternal uncle's spouse: Chachi = Kaki Maa
13. Paternal Uncle (younger than father): Chacha = Kaka
14. Paternal Uncle (older than father): Jetha = Jetha
15. Paternal Auntie's Spouse: Fuppa = Pisha Moshai
16. Bath/shower: Gosul = Snan
17. Meat: Gosto = Mangsho
18. Baptize: Akika = Anno Prashan

Good idea Brothers. Such a change in orientation will bring you closer to the Islamic World.

Every Muslim should be able to read and understand Arabic.

I DON'T BELIEVE MY EYES..........where has the bengali nationalism and pride gone??!!!you guys are trying to change the script of the language your mother taught you,for Allah's sake its your mother language people respect it! here i see you people have started sowing seeds of her destruction??!......why are u guys so bent on becoming arabs :tsk:
if Bengali nationalism is concerned with pride in the heritage of Bengal, then the languages that have enriched and shaped this region and its people must be celebrated. in that case, you cannot simply exclude only certain languages of the region just because they were brought there by Muslims. if you want to exclude languages like Urdu and Farsi and Arabic and scripts from these languages, then call your nationalism Hindu-Bangaliyana Nationalism.

Good idea Brothers. Such a change in orientation will bring you closer to the Islamic World.

Every Muslim should be able to read and understand Arabic.

I understand changing the script may help us in learning the Arabic script more, but how on earth does Urdu help us learn Arabic more? The language sounds similar, if not identical to Hindi, only difference is the script. Urdu is not a pathway to Arabic, similarly, Pashto or Kurdish is not a pathway to Arabic even though they use the Nastaliq script. Majority of Bangladesh can read Arabic, especially Quranic Arabic, in fact we are usually one of the countries to win or come second in the International Qirat/Quran competition in UAE/Dubai.

I love the Arabic script, but the thing that holds me back is the timing, it's too late to change the script or even the audacity to propose a change. Musulmani Bangla is still here and enriched with Arbi and Perso words, what makes me worry is that the Islamic heritage of Bangladesh is being thrown in the ashes by current regime, especially Bengal being one of the first regions in South/South East Asia for the advent of Islam to occur.

Still here --- You lasted longer than expected against Indians

What do you mean..?

I understand changing the script may help us in learning the Arabic script more, but how on earth does Urdu help us learn Arabic more? The language sounds similar, if not identical to Hindi, only difference is the script. Urdu is not a pathway to Arabic, similarly, Pashto or Kurdish is not a pathway to Arabic even though they use the Nastaliq script. Majority of Bangladesh can read Arabic, especially Quranic Arabic, in fact we are usually one of the countries to win or come second in the International Qirat/Quran competition in UAE/Dubai.
I love the Arabic script, but the thing that holds me back is the timing, it's too late to change the script or even the audacity to propose a change. Musulmani Bangla is still here and enriched with Arbi and Perso words, what makes me worry is that the Islamic heritage of Bangladesh is being thrown in the ashes by current regime, especially Bengal being one of the first regions in South/South East Asia for the advent of Islam to occur.

Oh yeah... You are right.

You lost me there, Bro....

I did not say anything about Urdu in my comment so where is Urdu coming from.

Last edited:
But Urdu and all that stuff is not coming back and is in the past. Now we have to move forward and make our Bangla more Islamidised.
i would suggest you to update your knowledge about the country you are a national of. it shouldn't be okay for anyone to say that a language used by a significant community in Bangladesh is "not coming back". it might not have official patronage from BD government. but it is a language of the land for native speakers who are Mohajirs and every Bengali Muslim family who were educated had use of this language until the political issues started post-1947. the "pure" Dhakai people don't use the Banglafied Urdu but use thorough Urdu, but the unique Urdu accent is dying...

everyone should notice that whenever some people talk about Bengali nationalism, they also oppose all the Muslim culture that exist or existed in Bengal. so it supports the fact that during colonial period Bengali Hindus got sole official authority to define what is "Bengali". by excluding all Muslim elements from the definition of "Bengali", "Bengali" became another term for Hindu.

Last edited:
You lost me there....
I did not say anything about Urdu in my comment so where is Urdu coming from.

I know right? I just agreed with him about the "too late part" and that we can read Arabic but we need to Islamise our culture more.

@Saiful Islam Nothing is too late! Better late than never! It's never too late. NEVER GIVE UP!

i would suggest you to update your knowledge about the country you are a national of. it shouldn't be okay for anyone to say that a language used by a significant community in Bangladesh is "not coming back". it might not have official patronage from BD government. but it is a language of the land for native speakers who are Mohajirs and every Bengali Muslim family who were educated had use of this language until the political issues started post-1947.
everyone should notice that whenever some people talk about Bengali nationalism, they also oppose all the Muslim culture that exist or existed in Bengal. so it supports the fact that during colonial period Bengali Hindus got sole official authority to define what is "Bengali". by excluding all Muslim elements from the definition of "Bengali", "Bengali" became another term for Hindu.

I know! But I think majority people won't like to speak Urdu. And my Grandfathers and Grandmothers knew how to speak Urdu and also Arabic and Farsi! Especially my two Grandfathers! But my Mom or Dad, not sure. You are right that they tried removing Muslim elements in Bangla! And that's why Bangla just seems more Hindu and it does not go well with us Muslims.

Last edited:
I know right? I just agreed with him about the "too late part" and that we can read Arabic but we need to Islamise our culture more.

I know! But I think majority people won't like to speak Urdu. And my Grandfathers and Grandmothers knew how to speak Urdu and also Arabic and Farsi! Especially my two Grandfathers! But my Mom or Dad, not sure. You are right that they tried removing Muslim elements in Bangla! And that's why Bangla just seems more Hindu and it does not go well with us Muslims.
it is up to individuals to decide what they want to do. people should at least be aware of the importance of Urdu in the land we call Bangladesh. all of those pre-1947 leaders from Bengal who can be likened to "founding fathers" associated themselves with Urdu at least as much as Bengali. and a language like Urdu determined the very Muslim community of South Asia that culminated into two countries we call Bangladesh and Pakistan today, and a big minority population of India. Urdu still is the lingua franca of south asian Muslims - Urdu-Hindi together are probably a lingua franca of almost all people from what is considered "indo-aryan" background

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom