Shocker for navy, warship's part missing

cirr

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Shocker for navy, warship's part missing:coffee:

Rahul Singh, Hindustan Times New Delhi, March 19, 2014

First Published: 23:26 IST(19/3/2014) | Last Updated: 11:57 IST(20/3/2014)

In the latest among a series of embarrassing mishaps troubling the navy, a vital part of a vessel that helps it sail smoothly has gone missing from one of India’s leading warships.

One of the two stabilisers on India’s Russian-built stealth frigate INS Trishul was found missing during a recent inspection in dry dock in Mumbai, a navy source said. Most of the recent mishaps — 13 in the past eight months — have occurred under the Western Naval Command (WNC).

The navy has ordered an investigation into the mysterious disappearance of the component. Stabilisers help warships sail in rough conditions when the waves are high or the wind is strong. A navy official said: “A warship can sail without a stabiliser but it has operational implications.”

The stabiliser may have gone missing when the warship had gone out sailing late last year, but the matter came to light only during the recent inspection, the source said. A navy spokesperson in Mumbai said no incident was recorded on board the ship “over the past one month”.

The Trishul’s sister ship, INS Talwar, had infamously slammed into a trawler off the Ratnagiri coast on December 23, 2013, sinking the boat and tossing 27 fishermen into the sea. Also, the Trishul had collided with a merchant vessel in Mumbai waters in December 2005.

The Trishul incident comes to light three weeks after Admiral DK Joshi stepped down as navy chief, taking moral responsibility for the recent accidents.

Joshi resigned on February 26, the day two naval officers were killed and seven sailors injured in an accident on board INS Sindhuratna. WNC chief Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, under whose watch most of the recent mishaps have taken place, is one of the four contenders for the navy’s top job. The navy has had a bad run since August 2013 when INS Sindhurakshak blew up and sank at a Mumbai harbour, killing 18 personnel.

These accidents have forced operational warships out of active duty and knocked some officers off the race for top ranks. At least five warship captains have been stripped of command over the past 18 months for lack of adequate supervision and not complying with naval procedures.

Shocker for navy, warship's part missing - Hindustan Times

Fin_Stabilizer_%28ship_front_view%2B%29.PNG

Stabilizer1.JPG

No ship in the world lost it before?

Many ships might have in the past. But for one of our newest Warships to lose structural components like that doesn't speak well about the quality of construction, IMO.

One of the two stabilisers on India’s Russian-built stealth frigate INS Trishul was found missing

Many ships might have in the past. But for one of our newest Warships to lose structural components like that doesn't speak well about the quality of construction, IMO.
Then they have to ask Manufacture why it have lost. This control component will always have high stress so loosing them frequently is highest possibility. so nothing to worry unlike mentioned in the news .

Well, media is definitely on troll mode against the navy
every little incident is gonna make headline news

Then they have to ask Manufacture why it have lost. This control component will always have high stress so loosing them frequently is highest possibility. so nothing to worry unlike mentioned in the news .

Might be a case of fatigue failure of rivets. It's quite common for such components exposed to periodic stress cycles. The ship in question is less than 10 years old though.

Well, media is definitely on troll mode against the navy
every little incident is gonna make headline news

I am not surprised if its just another stunt by our beloved congress to divert the attention of the people from the core issues.:pleasantry:

I am not surprised if its just another stunt by our beloved congress to divert the attention of the people from the core issues.:pleasantry:
So, they can do that too?.... What about the army and Air force then? I mean what if one day a tank's gun goes missing...:cheesy:

When I read the title alone I knew it must be IN and its proved to be true .. On the topic i feel they must not be shocked as they are quite used to such news yeah if no such news come for few weeks then they must be shocked:lol:

i feel they must not be shocked as they are quite used to such news yeah if no such news come for few weeks then they must be shocked:lol:
Exactly my thoughts on bomb balsts and terrorist attacks in one of neighbouring country :rofl: you surly know the name ;)

So, they can do that too?.... What about the army and Air force then? I mean what if one day a tank's gun goes missing...:cheesy:
It still will be better than missing the half of the country, wont it be ????

It still will be better than missing the half of the country, wont it be ????
Still i would suggest that you make sure no guns are "off" in case maoists attack..... anyways, best wishes to those fighting insurgency, may their guns be with them.

Still i would suggest that you make sure no guns are "off" in case maoists attack..... anyways, best wishes to those fighting insurgency, may their guns be with them.
Yu are worried about Mao fans attack ??? Its like trying to sell water to neighbour when everybody in house is dying of thrust. Is everything all right there !!!

Yu are worried about Mao fans attack ??? Its like trying to sell water to neighbour when everybody in house is dying of thrust. Is everything all right there !!!
It's a suggestion not a worry

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom