What's new

"Shining India, Swaggering India" - Times of India

3:16 :O Look Beggar

Everything changed in the video but Mentality ? Na :rolleyes: Dreaming of making the Americans slaves lol

If you have seen any of Rajnikant movies, you will be surprised to see what all happens there.. But that's a Movie world and work of fiction.. Do you people give all the movies the same importance?

I can list a huge number of stupid Chinese movies where they do weird things.. does that happen for real?

Only a simpleton will think so..

Limpeh,

Was that not you saying - you Singaporean Tamils welcome your Indian counterparts with open hands and hearts so what happened all of a sudden, want to sink them in the sea ??

Tell me, how can we help resolve the issue.. I think you have a running govt at office, don't you??

So sad, you are not able to manage your tiny nation properly..

Go back and read that post. Tamil counterparts I said, while we resist the North Indians. The Tamils blend in alot easier due to the language and also their ability to leave behind India and adopt local mannerisms alot quicker. They take the effort to blend in. That includes the Malayalee and Telugu too.

The rest of them coming in from North India, who now make up the biggest numbers are the problem. You have to understand that for Indian Singaporeans, your idea of 'Indian' itself is alien. Most of our ancestors left way before your country was established and we certainly don't consider North Indians to be similar to the Tamils. This entirely leads to a different topic though. I will see if I can start a thread on it or if I can find another thread to discuss this.

Rage is not the main theme in India and I would say Denial is the one. The world economy is in trouble and India economy is in crisis yet nobody on the forum admit the obvious. If any the rage is associated with the forum its the denials expressed by rage against any criticism of the posters, even if who are Indians themselves would be purged to one voice that is we are downing together.

every indian has accepted that indian economy has slowed down but it seems people out here wanna tell us that it is the end

203367730.jpg

Our arrogance is more to do with ignorance of our own state, i'd say.

We value flattery and sycophancy too much in modern times, despite the concept of atmavichra being part of our culture.

However the above article does not accurately describe the topic.

I would like to add from a point of arrogance in foreign policy. I found this really bad on our part.

India minister: Brit aid is peanuts

But there is hope as most of India's problems are highlighted by Indians themselves.

why dont the singaporean government just kick these indians out of your country.

indians are a wothless bunch, they contribute absolutely nothing to society and hate the country they live in.

no wonder in countries like australia, indians are hated so much.

Violence against Indians in Australia controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

look at those scumbags disrupting australian society by blocking streets and acting like vulgar wild animals.

Yup we are doing it in stages now. We are dropping the visas given to Indians. Many of them are being sent back home after graduation and we are denying them work visas too. We are increasingly drawing upon China instead. I believe there was a recruitment drive in Nanking recently too.

The Australian issue is something we don't want certainly, over here. I believe that issue was between the Lebanese Australians and Indians yes?

Go back and read that post. Tamil counterparts I said, while we resist the North Indians. The Tamils blend in alot easier due to the language and also their ability to leave behind India and adopt local mannerisms alot quicker. They take the effort to blend in. That includes the Malayalee and Telugu too.

The rest of them coming in from North India, who now make up the biggest numbers are the problem. You have to understand that for Indian Singaporeans, your idea of 'Indian' itself is alien. Most of our ancestors left way before your country was established and we certainly don't consider North Indians to be similar to the Tamils. This entirely leads to a different topic though. I will see if I can start a thread on it or if I can find another thread to discuss this.

I thought Sikh people one of the very successful bunch in Singapore :what:

Rage is not the main theme in India and I would say Denial is the one. The world economy is in trouble and India economy is in crisis yet nobody on the forum admit the obvious. If any the rage is associated with the forum its the denials expressed by rage against any criticism of the posters, even if who are Indians themselves would be purged to one voice that is we are downing together.

All the articles talking about Indian economy are written by Indians...may be it is u who need to wake up or if u r awake then may be u need to check ur eye sight....

I am not asking any justification so please keep your lectures to yourself.. And if you have a problem in your tiny country and are unable to deal with it then the problem is more yours then anybody else's..

One more thing, I am also seeing a clear Tamil bias in your reply but for the respect of Indian Tamils, I would not dig any deeper based on a Tamil's comment who has no relation with us..

Btw, clean the mess in your country by all means.. Nobody is stopping you..

Also out mannerism, culture etc look at this video .. Is that mannerism & culture of yours? and who is doing that? Indians ??

don't give too much importance to yourself, what you think is limited to Singapore only..

Last edited by a moderator:
Invest in India: E Ahamed to the Arab world

ABU DHABI: Pointing out that the fundamentals of Indian economy were strong which will help it to return to a sustained growth of 8-10 per cent in the coming years, India today sought Foreign Direct Investment from the Arab world.

India is one of the fastest growing major economies of the world, Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed said adding that despite the adverse international environment, India has managed to maintain a growth rate of over 7 per cent per annum.

"We are confident that the strong fundamentals of its economy will help India return to a sustained growth path of about 8-10 per cent per annum in the coming years," The Minister said speaking at the 3rd India-Arab Partnership Conference here.

He said that India has robust economic indicators including high domestic saving rate; increasing direct and indirect tax revenues; high agricultural growth; a strong manufacturing base and a booming service sector spearheaded by the information and communication technology sector.

The Minister also mentioned the ambitious plans for the development of Indian infrastructure.

"We are planning to secure investment of almost $ 1 trillion in the next 5 years in new projects in highways, power plants, mass transport systems, ports and airports. This will be achieved through both public and private investment and Public-Private Partnerships," he said.

Ahamed said India was determined to pursue a strategy of green growth and was committed to increasing energy efficiency and the share of renewables, including solar and nuclear power, in its energy mix.

"This makes India one the most attractive destinations for foreign direct investments.

"India invites our longstanding friends from the Arab world to participate in India's growth story which would be mutually beneficial," he said.

Talking about the the recent winds of change which swept through several Arab countries, he said, "Continued peace and stability in the region is of interest to all of us. We support addressing of all issues through peaceful dialogue and negotiations with countries being free to determine their own pathways to national development".

He noted that trade between India and the Arab world, which stood at $ 114 billion in 2008-09, has steadily increased to reach $ 144 billion in 2010-11.

Of this, India-UAE trade alone accounts for $ 67 billion, more than 46 per cent.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ed-to-the-arab-world/articleshow/13396309.cms

Yup we are doing it in stages now. We are dropping the visas given to Indians. Many of them are being sent back home after graduation and we are denying them work visas too. We are increasingly drawing upon China instead. I believe there was a recruitment drive in Nanking recently too.

The Australian issue is something we don't want certainly, over here. I believe that issue was between the Lebanese Australians and Indians yes?

Wow!! who is WE here??? u are as immigrant as any indian in Singapore...so stop the acting....Using the Singapore flag does not hide the fact that u r Chinese....And we will be damned if we take a Chinese comment....

@Indians.... The Chinese here and Singaporean Chinese trolls are not here to discuss anything good...
These guys are hated the world over....Even the recent news that many African countries hate Chinese show that Chinese are nothing but arrogant and racist minded people....We can discuss our problems among ourselves...Lets not degrade ourselves by listening to the cr@p spewed by Chinese here

I don't know what's wrong with certain people.. They run to any thread with India in it and start crying rivers..

Come on people, grow up!!

Basel III on the way— it’s advantage India

In spite of the preventive safeguards of Basel II, the world banking system went into a tailspin during the early 2008 ushering in a financial crisis that shook the world economy. This led to some quick rethinking on the part of the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) over the need to come out with a broadened framework of tighter standards under Basel III to restrict the banks from indulging in unhealthy and imprudent practices which could have great cascading effects on the economies around.

The balance sheet of Lehman Brothers whose fall was the precursor of the meltdown, attracted the following comment: “Whatever was on the left-hand side (liabilities) was not right and whatever was on the right-hand side (assets) was not left.” It was reported that the assets of Lehman Brothers were worth only a fraction of their book value and they had little capital to tap into to pay their creditors. The comment in simple terms illustrates the rot that crept into the financial sector as a result of factors like loose lending standards, poorly underwritten subprime mortgages, shadow financing, unbridled speculation, gross asset-liability mismatches and inadequate liquidity buffers. With little owned funds left with and liquidity dried off, the banks went begging with their hats on hand to the taxpayer to bail them out. That was the scene we saw in 2008 when the financial sector in the western world went berserk.

With the solemn aim never to see the repeat of the 2008 Crisis, the BCBS, through Basel III, put forward norms aimed at strengthening both sides of balance sheets of banks viz. a)enhancing the quantum of common equity b) improving the quality of capital base b) creation of capital buffers to absorb shocks c) improving liquidity of assets c) optimising the leverage through Leverage Ratio d) creating more space for banking supervision by regulators under Pillar II and e) bringing further transparency and market discipline under Pillar III. Needless to stress, banks whose balance sheets can absorb the losses with resilience, will stand in the face of a financial Tsunami.

Now it is timely to take a brief look into the impact that Basel III can have on Indian banking system as the norms will kick-start in a phased manner from January 1, 2013.

Capital adequacy: For Indian banks, it’s easier to make the transition to a stricter capital requirement regime than some of their international counterparts since the regulatory norms set by RBI on capital adequacy are already more stringent.Besides, most Indian banks have historically maintained their core and overall capital well in excess of the regulatory minimum. According to a CRISIL estimate, the average equity capital ratio and overall capital adequacy ratio of rated banks in India stand well above 9% and 14%, respectively. As for Federal Bank, its tier 1 capital is 15.86% and its capital adequacy stands at 16.64% as on March 31, 2012, significantly higher than the stipulated norms.

Cost of lending:Stricter capital requirements with changes in the structure of tier 1 and tier 2 capital generally result in lower return on equity (ROE). On the flip side, as capital costs increase, loans tend to be expensive. In order to offset this, banks would have to take the route of reducing deposit interest and go in for new non-interest income streams. Yet, Basel III carries the message that Indian banks will have to start finding ways to preserve capital and use it more productively as minimum capital requirements will have to be met by March 31, 2017.

Leverage: RBI has set the leverage ratio at 4.5% (3% under Basel III).The ratio is introduced by Basel 3 to regulate banks having huge trading book and off balance sheet derivative positions. In India, however, in most of our banks, the derivative activities are not very large so as to arrange enhanced cover for counterparty credit risk. Hence, the pressure on banks should be moderate.

Liquidity norms: Indian banks conform to two liquidity buffers already: the statutory liquidity ratio (SLR) – a mandatory 24% of a bank’s net demand and time liabilities – and cash reserve ratio (CRR) of 4.75%. The SLR is mainly government securities while the CRR is mainly cash. The Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) under Basel III requires banks to hold enough unencumbered liquid assets to cover expected net outflows during a 30-day stress period. In India, the burden from LCR stipulation will depend on how much of CRR and SLR can be offset against LCR. Here too, Indian banks are better placed over their overseas counterparts.

Countercyclical buffer: Economic activity moves in cycles and banking system is inherently pro-cyclic. During upswings, carried away by the boom, banks end up in excessive lending and unchecked risk build-up, which carry the seeds of a disastrous downturn. The regulation to create additional capital buffers to lend further would act as a break on unbridled bank-lending. This check will counter or smoothen wild swings in business cycles. India has witnessed moderate cycles. Yet, for countercyclical measures to be effective, our banking system has to improve its capability to sense and predict the business cycle at sectoral and systemic levels and to use tools like ‘Credit to GDP ratio’ to calibrate the level of countercyclical buffer.

All said and done, viewed from a higher perspective, factors like the quality of governance of banks, the standard of regulatory control by the apex bank and the level of public confidence banks enjoy in combination with their adherence to Basel III standards will determine the standing of Indian banking system on the world scene.
The writer is executive director, Federal Bank.

Wow!! who is WE here??? u are as immigrant as any indian in Singapore...so stop the acting....Using the Singapore flag does not hide the fact that u r Chinese....And we will be damned if we take a Chinese comment....

@Indians.... The Chinese here and Singaporean Chinese trolls are not here to discuss anything good...
These guys are hated the world over....Even the recent news that many African countries hate Chinese show that Chinese are nothing but arrogant and racist minded people....We can discuss our problems among ourselves...Lets not degrade ourselves by listening to the cr@p spewed by Chinese here

U can take a look at my FB and u'd know I'm Indian Singaporean and not Chinese Singaporean or Chinese national. If genuinely interested, drop me a PM and I'll give u the details. Or you are just blindly accusing me of being xenophobic and Chinese to deflect the thread. Anyway I'm sick of this thread and it's going nowhere. I'm just going to answer a question asked by one poster, Syama, so feel free not to continue reading if u r not interested.

@Syama

Yes there is a local Singh community here which came early with the British and stayed behind. They have contributed immensely to our society but they have also been culturally 'absorbed' into the Malay group to a large extent. They still retain their cultural practices, observe their religion and have their own little society for themselves, but the official language they had been studying for a long time was Malay. Today they have the option to learn their own languages, but none of these r recognized as official languages. This is how it works, the official language chosen to represent and respect the Chinese Singaporean is Mandarin, while likewise for the Indian Singaporean it is Tamil and not Hindi. The Singhs don't worry about this one bit and they are very Singaporean. This is a distinct group from the new group of North Indians who probably make up 5% of the population. The aliens are the ones demanding for rights and that the constitution be changed and Hindi be used to represent Indians here. Like it will ever happen!

I am not asking any justification so please keep your lectures to yourself.. And if you have a problem in your tiny country and are unable to deal with it then the problem is more yours then anybody else's..

One more thing, I am also seeing a clear Tamil bias in your reply but for the respect of Indian Tamils, I would not dig any deeper based on a Tamil's comment who has no relation with us..

Btw, clean the mess in your country by all means.. Nobody is stopping you..

Also out mannerism, culture etc look at this video .. Is that mannerism & culture of yours? and who is doing that? Indians ??

don't give too much importance to yourself, what you think is limited to Singapore only..

This thread is about the shining and mighty India. If you want to troll about another country, open up another thread. But don't put other nationality down just because an Indian put out an article admitting to the arrogance of Indians. If more Indians think like the author of the article, India would be in a much better shape today. Your problem can be found by looking into the mirror.

U can take a look at my FB and u'd know I'm Indian Singaporean and not Chinese Singaporean or Chinese national. If genuinely interested, drop me a PM and I'll give u the details. Or you are just blindly accusing me of being xenophobic and Chinese to deflect the thread. Anyway I'm sick of this thread and it's going nowhere. I'm just going to answer a question asked by one poster, Syama, so feel free not to continue reading if u r not interested.

@Syama

Yes there is a local Singh community here which came early with the British and stayed behind. They have contributed immensely to our society but they have also been culturally 'absorbed' into the Malay group to a large extent. They still retain their cultural practices, observe their religion and have their own little society for themselves, but the official language they had been studying for a long time was Malay. Today they have the option to learn their own languages, but none of these r recognized as official languages. This is how it works, the official language chosen to represent and respect the Chinese Singaporean is Mandarin, while likewise for the Indian Singaporean it is Tamil and not Hindi. The Singhs don't worry about this one bit and they are very Singaporean. This is a distinct group from the new group of North Indians who probably make up 5% of the population. The aliens are the ones demanding for rights and that the constitution be changed and Hindi be used to represent Indians here. Like it will ever happen!

So what part of India did your parents or grandparents came from?

Back
Top Bottom