What's new

Shashi Tharoor Vs Vikram Sampath: Debating Heritage, History & Hubris | India Today Conclave 2021

India has a very weak center with new states popping up every now and then and for a reason it has a red corridor and a a long list of secccesionists
muslims use hindustan
Far Right hindus use bharat
South and left wing uses india.
If north asks for Aryavarta south may ask for meluha or jambudweep. Etc.
If they dont care then just keep bharat as official name and get rid of this albatros of imperials around u.

The usage of the word Bharat is indeed official, not informal. The government of India is also officially called Bharat Sarkar. It is used in all communications which are in Hindi. Since you cannot read the Hindi script you won't know. There are large public companies with the name Bharat (BPCL, BSNL, BHEL, BEL etc). We don't avoid using the word Bharat at all. When we converse in Hindi we say Bharatiya Sanskriti and when we converse in English we say Indian culture. No one feels any need to correct anyone. At the same time no one treats 'India' as a colonial albatross either. We are actually not that hung up about our name.

North is not asking for Aryavarta at all. It is a non-existent issue. The only tussle between North and South has been about imposition of Hindi in schools and official state usage. Even this is misrepresented. The central government only wanted to impose Hindi in central institutions based in non Hindi regions, not those run by the respective states.

New states coming up does not mean weak center. It means acknowledging the fact that one administrative unit may not be working for the other. I personally feel that UP needs to be split further into western, central and eastern regions for better administration and to reduce strongman culture.

Muslims cannot be generalized. They do not use the word Hindustan across the board. The ones in south and west certainly don't.

At the same time no one treats 'India' as a colonial albatross either. We are actually not that hung up about our name.
That was the original point in the thread.. what may seem fine to you may be awkward for someone looking from outside.. Not that you dont care but the whole debate of inheriting British raj legacies and disowning the muslim conquest ones is very contradictory..
I feel bharat is the best suited name for india yet i still fail to understand whats holding them adopt it..local opposition could be there but sense of bad luck associated with invasions on the original bharat or a feel good english name that gives one a fraternity with west and a strong self esteem?? or becuase bharat hurts the secular fabric of india..which is odd becuase bharat is a folktale( for me as i dont share your belief) associated to your old beliefs, most of which you dont necessarily practice now.

It's the collective memory of atrocity comrade , which invaders inflicted upon Hindus , that is what we remember .
Else I don't want to get into theology of sanatan dhram , it is very deep and not relevant to this topic
That was the original point in the thread.. what may seem fine to you may be awkward for someone looking from outside.. Not that you dont care but the whole debate of inheriting British raj legacies and disowning the muslim conquest ones is very contradictory..
I feel bharat is the best suited name for india yet i still fail to understand whats holding them adopt it..local opposition could be there but sense of bad luck associated with invasions on the original bharat or a feel good english name that gives one a fraternity with west and a strong self esteem?? or becuase bharat hurts the secular fabric of india..which is odd becuase bharat is a folktale( for me as i dont share your belief) associated to your old beliefs, most of which you dont necessarily practice now.
Bharat dosent hurt the social fabric of India blitzkrieg ji, Bengali Muslims use language heavily drawn from sanskritised words , they call Bharat as "bharot".
I am not joking , they do call it such way .
Point is bharat is ancient name , official name of India is
"भारतीय गणराज्य " bhartiya ganrajya, that is republic of india .
Where I live muslims don't use urdu at all , they hindi as us , script same as every other thing .
Why disturb the Westerners when they want to use india ?
Even real name of china is zhonghua

Last edited:
It's the collective memory of atrocity comrade , which invaders inflicted upon Hindus , that is what we remember.

Of course, I know it very well and appreciate it; since, in a way, Pakistan was founded on the stone of this "collective memory".

Kindly keep it on; since it may come to some further good again in future. :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom