What's new

Sharif brothers declared ineligible

IHC CJ submits reply on allegations against him to SJC

* Justice Bilal says Sharifs targeted him as he was part of bench that declared them ineligible
* Says allegations aimed at ruining his repute

Staff Report

ISLAMABAD: Islamabad High Court (IHC) Chief Justice M Bilal Khan on Monday submitted his reply to the Supreme Judicial Council (SJC), rejecting all the allegations made against him by the Sharif brothers and others.

In his eight-page reply, he confirmed that the SJC secretary had sent him press clippings and audio and video CDs of the allegations made against him. He said the publications were false and “a crude and abhorrent attempt to malign him and scandalise the superior judiciary” at a time when he was being considered for appointment as the IHC chief justice.

He said the background of events in which the publications emerged had to be considered, as he was the member of the Lahore High Court (LHC) bench that had disqualified the Sharif brothers from electoral politics on June 23, 2008.

Just after the decision, he said the Sharif brothers had made speeches against him at public gatherings as well as on television channels in which they maligned him. At various occasions, he said, Nawaz Sharif had said that he would deal with Justice Bilal and that he will throw him into the ocean, whereas Shahbaz Sharif had abused him during public meetings in Gujranwala and in TV interviews.

He said Zulfiqar Cheema played the role of a henchmen for the Sharif brothers and “tended to go to any length to please his bosses, and as a reward he was given the coveted assignment of regional police officer (RPO) and city police officer of Gujranwala simultaneously” although “he was not qualified to hold the office of RPO under Police Order 2002”.

The judge said he was heading a full bench of the LHC on the issue of law and order that had held that several police officers including Zulfiqar Cheema had been posted in the Punjab province to the positions for which they did not qualify.

He said the allegations levelled against him by Cheema that he had links with the underworld and was protecting them were malicious. Justice Bilal also termed all the news published and aired by the media against him “baseless and malicious”.

“In the end, I must state with conviction and faith as a Muslim that the allegations against me are totally false and intended to damage my personal reputation and standing as a judge. Speaking for myself, if these allegations had an air of truth, I would loath to hang on to the office that I hold,” he concluded.

Source: Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Its getting a bit more interesting however IMHO given NS role in restoration of Judiciary there will be a bias in his favour.

Well he does have a shady past for alot of his actions and involvements but you are right I don't think they will target NS for it probably ask for a pardon or some useless bile like that.

Back
Top Bottom