What's new

Shahid Afridi urges world to end Pakistan isolation

Papa

BANNED
Reaction score
Shahid Afridi urges world to end Pakistan isolation

KARACHI: All-rounder Shahid Afridi has made an emotional appeal to the cricketing world to end Pakistan's four-year isolation over terror attacks.

No international cricket has been played in Pakistan, which suffers near daily Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked violence, since gunmen attacked the Sri Lankan team bus in March 2009, killing eight Pakistanis and wounding seven visiting players.

Minnows Bangladesh twice called off tours last year over security fears and the head of the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA) has warned players not to take part in an inaugural Twenty20 tournament in March.

Former captain Afridi said Pakistan has been sidelined and had "suffered because of being the frontline state in the war" against Islamist militants.

"We are desperately trying to revive international cricket in our country and need co-operation but it's not coming," he said on Thursday.

For four years, Pakistan has been forced to play its home series at neutral venues in England and the United Arab Emirates, denying millions of local fans the chance of watching live international cricket.

"Pakistan cricket is suffering because of non-cooperation and it is high time that other nations contribute to our efforts. Don't leave us alone," said Afridi, known for his hard-hitting and wily leg-spin in limited overs cricket.

He said cricketing nations and FICA should help the Pakistan Cricket Board ( PCB) bring foreign players for the PSL.

"If two players from each country come we can stage a good league and I request Cricket Australia to send their players," said Afridi.

"FICA must also co-operate. Pakistan needs support and if a player is willing to come and we are assuring him security, then they must not stop him. This is the time that world cricket must support us."

Afridi said Pakistan wants a special bond with Bangladesh, India and Sri Lanka.

"Pakistan has helped Bangladesh, they shouldn't forget that," said Afridi, referring to getting Bangladesh Test status in 2000. The country won independence in a bitter war with Pakistan in 1971.

"We toured India for a limited over series in December-January which helped them earn a huge amount and now it's India's time to help us -- all the more so because cricket has been the biggest tool in bringing both nations closer," said Afridi. :lol:

Shahid Afridi urges world to end Pakistan isolation - The Times of India

Why BRAVE Afridi is urging to these evil Hindus who are not so open with their hearts?

At least he should have picked a better city. Don't make such comments from Karachi. People around the world are paranoid.

Shahid Afridi should eat
images
and shut his mouth

Asking Aussie players to come is like talking to a rock. After LOC incident forget India. SL dont seem to forget 2009 soon. BD- i have no idea, they are playing in words well, rather than cricket.
So WI, England, SA, Zimbabwe are there. Eng and SA are too paranoid.
So lets see

Come on guys don't make such heartless comments, we Indians are better than this.

As some Pakistanis say, world class whining happening here :D

Now he want us small hearts to help them??

Come on guys don't make such heartless comments, we Indians are better than this.

We didnt made any heartless comments only small heart comments :whistle:

I do think Shahid afridi has a point here. If pakistan can provide good quality of security, there should be no fear for International players to participate. Strengthening pakistani cricket is good for world cricket, pakistan's isolation might lead to depletion of interest and eventually drain the quality of players in future. That would be the biggest loss of world cricket, as pakistan over the years have provided some of the best talents and fiercest sportsmen in the history of cricket.

I wish India could do more to help pakistan on this one... unfortunately the political situation mandates otherwise...

I do think Shahid afridi has a point here. If pakistan can provide good quality of security, there should be no fear for International players to participate. Strengthening pakistani cricket is good for world cricket, pakistan's isolation might lead to depletion of interest and eventually drain the quality of players in future. That would be the biggest loss of world cricket, as pakistan over the years have provided some of the best talents and fiercest sportsman in the history of cricket.

I wish India could do more to help pakistan on this one... unfortunately the political situation mandates otherwise...
the venue is an issue, so why not dubai... ? pcb can take a cut from the proceedings..

the venue is an issue, so why not dubai... ? pcb can take a cut from the proceedings..

I dont think it's just about the money... it's also about the audience, it's about the environment and excitement in a city like lahore or rawalpindi when the local heroes are hitting sixes and breaking wickets... The thrill and pride of it which drives youngsters to cricket...

At least he should have picked a better city. Don't make such comments from Karachi. People around the world are paranoid.

LOL, you are paranoid, karachi doesnt deserve to be called, but im not surprised as we have an indian commenting, and i ve seen pretty low grade comments and bahaviour from indians to last a life time already

karachi is not the city who remained hostage for a terrorist for a long time, karachi is not the rape capital like indian cities are who still get to host the women's world cup :lol:

and certainly karachi has not done any harm to the cricket or its image, infact it has made cricket grow and improved its image

I do think Shahid afridi has a point here. If pakistan can provide good quality of security, there should be no fear for International players to participate. .

Recall Pakistan got exactly that chance in Lahore, with the Sri lankans -- how did the Pakistanis do? Look, I am not sayiong that Afridi is not sincere or that he does not have a point but Pakistan do not even have will to protect their own, you think they will protect foreigners?
Pakistan need this time out to get their heads screwed on straight

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom