What's new

Shahid Afridi says banning Pakistani cricketers brings bad image to India

shuntmaster

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Islamabad: Pakistan allrounder Shahid Afridi says he might retire from one-day internationals after the World Cup next year and just concentrate on Twenty20s.

afridi-640-cheeky.jpg

Afridi quit Test cricket four years ago after playing just 27 test matches, but the hard-hitting allrounder is a regular member of the limited-overs teams.

He has played in three World Cups, and captained the team to the 2011 semifinals, after which differences with Pakistan Cricket Board officials made him quit the captaincy. Pakistan's most capped T20 player, Afridi was only two games shy of Inzamam-ul-Haq's national ODIs record of 375. (Afridi launches welfare website in Pakistan)

"The 2015 World Cup (in Australia and New Zealand) is important for two, three senior members of the team. I may retire after it and continue playing Twenty20 cricket," Afridi said on Friday in Lahore.

"I've always said that my cricket is attached with my fitness and performance, and I will take the final decision after seeing my performance in 2015." (Afridi hits back at sexism row)

The PCB has organized a one-month fitness camp in Lahore before announcing the central contracts, and Afridi said while he has attended lots of camps during his 18-year career, there's no doubt this camp will be very tough.

Afridi was in favor of performance-based central contracts, and said if someone performed throughout the year he should get the A-plus category, and if a senior player's contract was reduced due to performance, he should accept it.

He said he still wished to be captain again.

"It's (captaincy) not a bed of roses, it's an honor for a player," he said. (Shahid Afridi, the ugly duck-ling of ICC World T20)

"I've forgotten lots of things that happened in the past ... it's my wish (to be captain), and it should be every player's wish.

"I don't play to just survive in the team. Whatever cricket is left in me, I want to give it back to my country."

Waqar Younis reportedly had differences with Afridi when he resigned from coaching Pakistan in 2012. With Younis reappointed and starting next month, Afridi hoped what happened in the past will remain there, and said he was looking forward to working with him again. (PCB cacks whip on Afridi for World T20 comments)

"If Vicky (Younis' nickname) bhai (brother) or Shahid Afridi didn't learn from their mistakes we can't move forward," he said. "We should all forget it, and move forward for the good of the country."

Asked to comment on the recent turmoil in the PCB in which the chairmanship was handed back and forth between Najam Sethi and Zaka Ashraf by the courts, Afridi said, "Such things bring a bad name to cricket and the country. Cricket and cricketers should not suffer from such things, that's it."

Afridi also welcomed news that the PCB and India board reached an understanding to play six bilateral series from 2015-23, and lamented how Pakistan players were ignored by Indian teams in the Indian Premier League.

"You can't clap with one hand ... I don't think sport should be attached with politics," he said. "India is giving a negative message to the world, because everyone wants to see Pakistan players go and play in India."

Everyone knows how Jealous India is of our Cricket and of our Talent, All they can do is use their Baniya tactics, they can't compete with us in cricket. It is that simple. In last bilateral series we went to their home and made them bite the dust :D.

Keeping Pakistan Players Out of IPL is Hurting India's Image: Shahid Afridi
Shahid Afridi says Pakistan has always supported Indian cricket and wants cordial relations with the neighbours. Keeping Pakistan players out of IPL though, he says, is detrimental to Indian cricket's image worldwide.

Karachi:
shahidafridi300.jpg
Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi feels Indian cricket's image has taken a hit worldwide due to the Indian Premier League (IPL) organisers' decision to keep players from his country out of the Twenty20 event.

Talking to reporters in Lahore, the former captain said it was strange to see that while cricketers from all over the world were in the IPL, only Pakistani players were being sidelined by the Indian authorities.
"It is a setback for Pakistani players but overall it is the image of Indian cricket that has suffered because of this policy," Afridi said. (Also read: Was Umar Akmal approached to fix matches in 2012?)

Afridi said Pakistan has always supported Indian cricket and even now was putting its hand out to have normal and cordial relations.

"I have always said that not only through politics but even through cricket, relations between the two countries can improve a lot," he asserted.

Afridi also talked about his future plans insisting he might quit playing one-day internationals after the 2015 World Cup.

"I will take a decision than on what to do after looking at my fitness and performances. But there is no doubt that this World Cup is of great importance and significance for senior players like myself."

"Maybe after the World Cup I might decide to just focus on playing T20 cricket," Afridi said.

Afridi quit Test cricket four years ago but has regularly played ODIs and T20 cricket. He has already represented Pakistan in three World Cups and captained the team to semifinals in 2011.

Asked about the captaincy, Afridi said he had been asked a similar question after returning from the World T20 tournament in Bangladesh.

"Like every player I also have a desire to lead my country. I love challenges and I have a big heart and I am not one to run away from challenges. There is a wish to be captain and it will always be there."

Afridi was also candid when asked about his past differences with new head coach Waqar Younis. "We have to forget past issues and if we remain adamant about not forgetting than it will not be beneficial for anyone," he stated.

Afridi also praised the setting up of a summer training camp and the focus on fitness. "I have been playing for some 18 years so when there was talk about all this focus on fitness it was surprising. But now I can say it is good we have had this camp it will help us in the long run and I think Muhammad Akram deserves credit for planning this camp," he said.

Everyone knows how Jealous India is of our Cricket and of our Talent, All they can do is use their Baniya tactics, they can't compete with us in cricket. It is that simple. In last bilateral series we went to their home and made them bite the dust :D.

Afridi is not one bit concerned about India's image, all he cares about the $ Pakistani players are losing by not having access to IPL!

Who is the real baniya now?:chilli:

Afridi is not one bit concerned about India's image, all he cares about the $ Pakistani players are losing by not having access to IPL!

Who is the real baniya now?:chilli:

Simple fact remain, Indian can't compete with us, they are physically too weak they could never produce a true pace man :D. So enjoy your dumb IPL, I seriously wonder if anyone even watches it apart from Indians.

Simple fact remain, Indian can't compete with us, they are physically too weak they could never produce a true pace man :D. So enjoy your dumb IPL, I seriously wonder if anyone even watches it apart from Indians.
Wow.. Is this application of the Martial race theory being applied to Cricket now?
1 Pakistani musalman kirkitar = 10 Hindu kirkitar? So, that means either Pakistani team should have only 1 player or Indian team should have 110 players for Indo-Pak matches..

If you really don't care about IPL then wtf are you doing posting on this thread?:partay:

Are you Insane ? Can you even read the title ? It's about Shahid Afridi not about IPL lol seriously you Indians sometimes really make me laugh.

Trust me it's very popular with West Indian people in UK here they watch it alot

Yet we won 3 world cups :smokin::smokin::smokin:
2 champions trophy titles 8-)8-)8-)
5 asia cups :chilli::chilli::chilli:

In last Bilateral series, we came into your country and made you cry. Won last encounter in Asia cup and now lets talk about overall ODI and test wins ? wanna know who leads that ? lol

Back
Top Bottom