What's new

Sehwag crosses Sachin's 200 in ODI

Score against revival is something totally different especially score in revival country...

kise nay sahi kaha hey ye apnay ghar may he shair hain bahir jatay hain tu kut parti hey lolzzzz
When he came to pakistan he ended saqlains career...lol...may be u should look at history first

Sachin is slow and Patient......
Sehwag is fast and explosive.....

Perfect combo

His innings was not brutal, was sublime, Every west Indies player came running to congratulate Sehwag.

didnt want to comment......

but yes a good innings blessed by flat pitch of india which is paradise for batsmans and death ground for bowlers.....

where did Saeed Anwar, tendulkr and sehwag scored 194, 200, 219???????

Rightly said.. Mohd. Ashraful & Shakib-Al-Hasan are just waiting to get chance to bat in an Indian wicket to get their double centuries..

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

This blog was posted before Sehwag got his maiden ODI double hundred...

Virender Sehwag's vision of the future, and David Warner
Virender Sehwag's technique is not revolutionary, just thrillingly heightened. The way he sees the game is so different

Imagine for a moment that you are opening the batting in a one-day international. You step out on to the field, assailed suddenly by the reality of what you are about to do: the heat, the light, the noise, the scale of the field and of the crowd. Your partner takes strike, and gets a single away immediately. Not much chance for you to have a look. What's this wicket like, then, low? Slow? How long is it since you've faced this guy with a white ball – two years? Three? But hang on – the umpire's signalling a no-ball. Your first delivery will be a free hit. All of a sudden, you loosen up, feel a little better. You set yourself deep in the crease, get outside leg-stump and free your arms and the ball sails up and over third man. Four. Easy. Thanks. Out with the bad thoughts. In with the good …

Now consider the difference between yourself and Virender Sehwag, to whom this happened the other day in the first ODI against West Indies. Viru stepped back and carved it over third man too – the difference being that he would have done it anyway, regardless of the no-ball and the free hit, and regardless of the fact it was an ODI and not a Test match or any other type of fixture. Because that is Sehwag, the man who gave the world the irreducible 'see ball, hit ball'.

This blog has long seen Sehwag as an avatar, a vision of the future, an outlier. But perhaps he is something else too; mentor, leader, philosopher king. In the modern age, there have always been attacking opening batsman. Gordon Greenidge, no slouch himself, recalled his partnership with Barry Richards at Hampshire: "It was not unusual for applause to be ringing round the ground for his fifty while I still had single figures." Richards once made 325 in a day at Perth against Dennis Lillee amongst others. Then came Jayasuriya, Slater, Hayden, Gayle, McCullum.

Yet none are Sehwag. Jayasuriya, Hayden and Gayle have Test match triple hundreds but Sehwag has two, and came within seven runs of a third. They are power players, yet Sehwag strikes at 20 runs per hundred balls better than any of them. Only Hayden can really claim to be in his class – the others all average about 10 less – and yet Hayden cannot be called a genius; the adjective effortless does not attach itself easily to his game.

Viru doesn't have Gayle's shoulders or Jayasuriya's forearms or Haydo's pecs. He has none of the nervous intensity of Slater or the cross-eyed desire of Hayden. He doesn't really have the insouciance of Gayle or Barry Richards. He is instead an almost implacable little Buddha, soft-edged, calmly accepting of the fates, whether they swing for him or against.

If there is one player he is most like, it is Lara, in that he can hit unstoppably not just for hours but for days. It is they who have built monolithic scores most regularly. Yet Lara didn't open, and he often gave the first hour or so of his innings to the bowler. That has not been Sehwag's way.

His technique is not revolutionary, just thrillingly heightened. What is different about Sehwag is his mind, the way he sees the game. Essentially, he is free. Where tradition insists that the new ball and fresh bowlers and aggressive fields are threats, he sees wide open spaces, a hard ball that will fly off the bat.

Sehwag said as much to David Warner a couple of years ago, when the notion of Warner wearing the Baggy Green was inducing not only ridicule but indignance. "He said to me, 'you'll be a better Test cricketer than you are a Twenty20 player'," Warner recalled a few days ago. "I looked at him and basically said, 'mate I've not even played a first-class game yet'. But he said, 'all the fielders are around the bat. If the ball's there in your zone, you're still going to hit it. You're going to have ample opportunities to score runs. You've always got to respect the good ball, but you've got to punish the ball you always punish'."

This week, Warner made his Test debut. Sehwag was more right than most of Australia. Warner does not have Sehwag's talent, but he shares his worldview. There will be many more who do in the years to come, and then it will become the new orthodoxy. That is Sehwag's true legacy. He has shared an era with Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid, Ponting, Kallis, yet he is not one of them. As great as they are and have been, they are the old order, more connected to the past than to the future.

And there is something more important here than just a mindshift, than changes in tactics or techniques. The game must always move forwards and renew itself. Essentially it must accelerate to match the speed of the culture in which it exists. Test cricket of the 1950s is as distant now as the rest of that decade, with its housewives and its radio plays and its music hall conservatism. Warner may or may not succeed as a Test match opener – do you want to bet against Viru? – but plenty like him will. At some point or other they will be the norm, and they will be standing on Sehwag's shoulders, the shoulders of a giant. If he is not the best batsman of his time (and he might be), he is the most significant; a genius and a visionary with it.

Ask us, we've been belted by Sehwag
Bowling greats admit Sehwag fear factor
6550654.jpg

Saqlain Mushtaq
(Before the Multan Test in
2003-04, Saqlain enjoyed a stellar run against
India -- 24 wickets from three Tests with four
five-wicket hauls. But Saqlain didn't have to
contend with Sehwag during those three Tests.
The Multan Test was the last time Saqlain
represented Pakistan, finishing with figures of
1-204 from 43 overs. Sehwag's 309-run blitzkrieg
was, in a way, responsible for ending his
international career.)
"What happed at Multan was unfortunate for me
on a personal level.
But what he did there -- getting 100, 200 and 300
with sixes -- proved to me that he was not an
ordinary player. The sort of concentration he
possesses, the fact that he doesn't fear any
bowler, his positive attitude, I truly salute him as a modern day great. I must admit that he put some fear in me (while I was bowling). I like him a lot, and appreciate his game. I am a big fan of his.

In my defence, I had not practiced for close to six
months before that Multan Test. I was playing
with pain-killing injections. I always got pleasure
while bowling against players like Sachin
(Tendulkar) and Brian (Lara). I put Sehwag in that
same category after that Multan Test.
Unfortunately, the powers-that-be didn't want me
to bowl to him ever again. As you know, my
career ended with that Test. I regret that I could
never bowl to him again. But that's how life is.
The knock he played today (against West Indies)
was special and only he could have done
something like this.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Chaminda Vaas (This retired Sri Lankan seamer
was at the other end when Sehwag blasted 201
runs off 231 balls in the 2008 Galle Test. Sehwag
remained unbeaten and became only the second
Indian after Sunil Gavaskar to carry his bat
through a Test innings. Later, in the 2008 Asia
Cup final -- Vaas witnessed Sehwag blast 60 runs
off just 36 balls. That was their last encounter).
Chaminda Vaas
"Oh, what can I say about this genius. I bowled a
lot to Sachin (Tendulkar), Azhar (Mohammed
Azharuddin) and other Indians, but I found
nobody more difficult to stop. When he gets
going, he's got the calibre to score big hundreds.
He's never satisfied. He's a player who can make
a lot of runs in whatever format or conditions. I
think it's become easier to score a double (ton) in
ODIs now with powerplay rules, but I don't want
to take any credit away from him. As a bowler,
you need to have patience against him as he's
always trying to dominate.
I used to try and bowl in the same spot for six
balls in a row, bowl wicket-to-wicket, but you
can't do that against Sehwag. I have managed to
get him out many times, but I was lucky.
Wherever I bowled, he managed to find ways to
score. His batting has improved recently because
he plays more through the leg-side. I want to
congratulate him for his fantastic double ton. It
will give more bowlers around the world
nightmares now (laughs). The only way to get
him is in the first few overs.
Makhaya Ntini (This retired South African pacer
actually had the wood on Sehwag on many
occasions during the Test rubbers in 2001-02 and
2006-07. But all that was erased from his
memory during Sehwag's triple century against
South Africa at Chennai in 2008. He conceded 128
runs from just 28 overs but guess who removed
Sehwag for 319?)
Makhaya Ntini
"He's simply one of the best I have bowled to. It's
particularly not easy to bowl to him on flat
wickets. He can destroy you and leave you
demoralised. As a bowler, there's not a lot you
can try, especially if the pitch is flat. If there is
some movement in the air or extra bounce, you
can do some things. But world cricket is full of flat
tracks today, and that's why a batsman like him
becomes more dangerous. During that triple
hundred at Chennai, we tried everything.
I remember Dale (Steyn) and I went around-the-
wicket, and tempted him with wide balls, with
fielders in catching positions, and still he kept
finding ways to score through his pads. In the
end, I was happy to dismiss him. Though he got
319, it was still a wicket. I am happy that he has
got a one-day double century. He's a great bloke.
Though he shows no respect to bowlers on the
field, he's a fantastic person and person. Cheers,
Viru."
Shaun Pollock (This retired South African great
had many fascinating battles against Sehwag.
When Sehwag scored Test century on debut at
Bloemfontein in 2001-02, it was Pollock who clean
bowled him on both occasions. However, he
rarely dismissed Sehwag in the final few years of
his career. Who can ever forget Sehwag's 62-ball
77 against South Africa at Bangalore in November
2005?)
Shaun Pollock
"To be honest, when he crossed 130-odd, I had a
feeling that he was going to get it. I haven't been
watching a lot of cricket, but I actually saw this
match. It was a phenomenal knock, one of the
best knocks in one-day cricket. I wouldn't say he
put a fear factor in me while I was bowling but
definitely he's someone that made me think as a
bowler.
Pollock collides with Sehwag during the 2004
Kanpur Test. Pic/Getty
Images
When he scored that 319 against us at Chennai,
he scored so many runs in unconventional areas
where you don't see batsmen scoring in Test
matches. I remember he played lot of reverse-
sweeps and kept generating unique ways of
scoring. I was glad to have retired by then, but
did bowl to him a lot before. He's a champion
batsman. Definitely someone who puts bowlers
on the back foot... I am not surprised that it's
Sehwag who has broken the record of another
great Sachin Tendulkar"
Y

Intresting comperision of stats Sachin vs Sehwag on their world records.
1.jpg

Intresting comperision of stats Sachin vs Sehwag on their world records.
1.jpg

I am sorry but if Sachin's ODI number is 2962 how come 2+9+6+2 = 10?

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Congratus Sehwag. He is first "human ' to score first 200 in one days ;)

Second human and second 200.

Back
Top Bottom