What's new

Security 'left us to be sitting ducks' claims Broad

Son of a ******, so much for the Pakistani officers giving their lives to protect the likes of Mr. Broad, ungratefull little bastard.

I'm fully aware that they died in the line of their duty. My anger is directed more toward the security establishment and the Govt than the individuals although the personnel by everyone account did not inspire confidence. The point is being made repeatedly that 6 died so therefore the best security was provided which is a derailed logic train.

Lots of posts here have been linked to lankanews forums and all I see BS jingoistic garbage. No anger at the perpetrators or the govt into bringing them to account. Just huff and puff with ********.

The more I think about the more it appears just as the Capt said...this might have been an inside job. After all these attacks takes months of prep and it was India who were supposed to be touring if it weren't for the Bombay attacks.

stop whining you little indian.

I feel sorry for the 6 policemen who died, not the minor injuries of the sri lankans.

Last edited by a moderator:
stop whining you stupid little indian.

I feel sorry for the 6 policemen who died, not the minor injuries of the sri lankans.

Yeah, me too, they got away safe because the Bus driver accelerated, however, the officers gave their lives because they KNEW that the whole world would be watching their beloved country and that they could not afford to slip away or show a sign of weakness, they gave their life to protect our name and to protect the Lankans.
I wonder, will these players be any safe in their own country where fights are on-going with the Tamil Tigers. :undecided:

Yeah, me too, they got away safe because the Bus driver accelerated, however, the officers gave their lives because they KNEW that the whole world would be watching their beloved country and that they could not afford to slip away or show a sign of weakness, they gave their life to protect our name and to protect the Lankans.
I wonder, will these players be any safe in their own country where fights are on-going with the Tamil Tigers. :undecided:

SriLanka had the LTTE for more than 20 years and they are the most deadly terrorist organization. Despite that, SL team were never attacked or were not successful in attacking.

SriLanka had the LTTE for more than 20 years and they are the most deadly terrorist organization. Despite that, SL team were never attacked or were not successful in attacking.

Yes but right now, things are clearly different then the past 20 years in Sri Lanka, the Tamils look like doing everything to keep their last bits alive and they will do anything to stay "alive".

The guy pissed in his pants and now starts baliming others... How come the entire cricket team is positive about Pakistani security but this whity is making the wrong remarks?

Actually, I was impressed by how calm the Sri Lankans were. They were a credit to Sri Lanka.

I thought Muralitharan's gesture was good also. He's a class cricketer.

I guess this time everybody had their final lession that pakistan cant provide full proof security no matter what it claims...beside that this time there were so many lapses in the security though pakistan had promised to provide the best security that only 'heads of states' receive.

I want to make something very clear, i have been working in Security, Law Enforcement and Emergency Response in Pakistan for donkey's years now. I have worked on details including foreign heads of state and conducted over 150 vital installation audits throughout my short life time.

The first rule of security is, there is no such thing as 100% secure... Security is a thankless job, those poor Elite Force Jawan's gave up their lives, and this thankless bafoon says they had no security... Hey Genius, you were 25 Mins away from the nearest major police station in Lahore (one of the nation's most notorious cities for traffic congestion)

And let me put this into perspective, the moment they came under fire Rescue 1122 sent an ambulance to provide critical care, you can see this ambulance being shot at in the video next to the injured traffic police officer.

Gentlemen, a squad of five police officers against a larger opposing force armed with automatic weapons converging from all sides... you arc's of fire go out of the window...

Sure this was a security lapse at a senior level, but those poor brave souls who sacrificed their lives in their duty, did all they could and sacrificed their all in carrying out their duties.

Frankly, i am very happy with response from Mr. Ijaz Butt (PCB), who is Chris Broad to make such tall claims, to quote Mr. Butt ""Six of them died, nine of them are seriously injured in hospital and he says there were no policeman"...

This was an attack on the Sri-Lankan Cricket Team and how come the BBC and the British Media are making this all about Chris Broad and claiming he is a HERO... Oh please give it a rest will you, this "GREAT WHITE HOPE" thing is really starting to get old.

I agree, Sri Lanka really displayed sportmanship and handled things well. :tup:

LAHORE: Sri Lankan cricket team flew out of Pakistan on a specially chartered Airbus 320, cutting short their tour after a deadly attack on Tuesday, reported ARY OneWorld. The team left for Colombo on a special chartered flight of Lanka Air from Lahore Airport.Governor Punjab Salman Taseer, Chairman PCB Ijaz Butt, Captain Younus Khan and players from Pakistan Cricket team saw off the guest team.

Talking to Pakistani players before departure, Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardane who was also hurt in the attack that leaves seven people dead and 18 others injured, vowed to come back again to play in Pakistan.

Jayawardane said that his team never hesitated in visiting Pakistan and will come back once the situation will be normalized.

It was an ambush, casualties are to be expected.

Chris Broad's accusation is two fold, in so far that quite patently the security wasn't adequate, and specifically the Police had abandoned their posts.

If you place that with the added supposition that the police, military, local and national government officials were fully briefed with a specific warning that this event would be targeted, then clearly there is a high level fault (as this event no doubt intended to demonstrate).

Given the repercussions to Pakistani sporting prestige and pride among its Diaspora the world over, more could and in all likelihood should have been done. And Mr. Broad is only taking the flak so to speak for pointing that out from an eye witness position.

The man is clearly exhausted and still in shock, and no doubt now that he's vented his anger he will soften his words in the weeks to come - however we shouldn't judge him too harshly, for he and his colleagues choose to help stage this event for a very good cause, a demonstration of belief in the Pakistani cause, and it should be reflected upon that it should and could have been better supported for that.

A great naivety has been played out once again by all that should be innocent and good, and some are continually counting upon that.

Last edited:

Chronology of key security issues in Pakistan leading up to the attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore on Tuesday that left five players and an assistant coach wounded.

2002 May: Car bomb explodes in Karachi in front of the hotel where the New Zealand team are staying, killing 13 people, including 11 French navy experts. New Zealand called off the tour within hours of the attack.

October: Pakistan play a home series against Australia to Sri Lanka and the United Arab Emirates after the team's refusal to tour over security concerns.

2008 March: Australia postpone tour of Pakistan due to fears over the safety of their players after a series of suicide bombings.

July: Australia and New Zealand players are advised not to travel to Pakistan for the Champions Trophy, raising the prospect of a possible boycott of the elite eight-team one-day tournament. New Zealand cancel a one-day series in Pakistan.

August: The International Cricket Council (ICC) postpones the Champions Trophy for 13 months after five of the eight teams confirm they would not send a team due to security concerns.

September: Pakistan cricket authorities accuse their Australian counterparts of double standards after confirmation a test tour to India would go ahead despite a series of bomb blasts in New Delhi.

November: Pakistan cricket chiefs admit terror attacks in Mumbai, which killed about 170 people, have badly hit the chances of India undertaking a test tour of Pakistan.

December: India call off their Pakistan tour after the government refuses permission due to tension between the nuclear-armed neighbours over the militant attacks in Mumbai. Sri Lanka agrees to step in to tour Pakistan.

2009: Pakistan board says it would offer Australia a choice of neutral venues if security fears force it to call off the tour scheduled in April.

January: Sri Lanka confirm they will play three one-dayers and two tests in Pakistan. Skipper Mahela Jayawardene asks players to concentrate on the series and not worry about security.

February: The ICC decide to move the Champions Trophy out of Pakistan after many members expressed reservations about touring the country. ICC CEO Haroon Lorgat tells 2011 World Cup organisers India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh to plan alternate venues if it becomes difficult to play in Pakistan due to security concerns.

Here is another gripe, this time by Simon Taufel
Why were left on our own: Taufel

Georgina Robinson
March 5, 2009 - 10:09AM

Australian cricket umpire Simon Taufel says he and his colleagues were left "helpless" and completely alone as bullets rained on their van in Pakistan this week.

Taufel, 38, and fellow Australian umpire Steve Davis, survived an ambush on the Sri Lankan squad and umpires' convoy that left their driver dead and another colleague critically injured.

Taufel, regarded as the sport's top umpire, arrived in Sydney just after 8am today after flying in from Dubai.

He said he was relieved to have got out alive but was angry he and the other umpires were stranded in a "war zone".

"You tell me why supposedly 25 armed commandos were in our convoy and when the team bus got going again we were left on our own," Taufel said

"Obviously they'll investigate those issues. What I can tell you this morning is that we were isolated, we were left alone, we were unaccounted for, we were not given the same security and the same attention as the playing staff were.

"I'm angry that when we were in our hour of need that we were left on our own.

"I'm angry that the team bus got to the ground and no one came back for us.

"That's the fact, that's the reality. Who's to blame and who's at fault I don't know."

He was reunited in private with his wife, Helen, and two sons, Harry and Jack, before telling reporters he did not know why he was still alive.

"I can't explain why I'm here. There is no reason for [the umpires and other staff] to still be here."

Taufel said that, when a policeman got onto the bus, he thought they were saved, but then watched with dismay as the officer threw himself over injured umpire Ahsan Raza, "trying to save his own life".

"Chris Broad said: 'What are you doing in here, you should be outside defending us' and Chris then asked him to get in the front seat and drive.

"He said: 'I can't drive, I don't know how to drive.'

"We were basically left there stranded and helpless."

Taufel said he and Broad forced the man out to go and get help.

Eventually, after more gunfire, another officer got into the van and drove them to safety inside the cricket ground, he said.

This story was found at: Why were left on our own: Taufel - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

Here is another gripe, this time by Simon Taufel

"He said: 'I can't drive, I don't know how to drive.'

"We were basically left there stranded and helpless."

Taufel said he and Broad forced the man out to go and get help.

Eventually, after more gunfire, another officer got into the van and drove them to safety inside the cricket ground, he said

I guess anyone critical of the arrangements will be flamed over here.

Our Govt is in full damage control mode. All our players and nationals have been instructed to keep mum and to not say anyting denigrating of the Pakistani hosts. This Govt thinks they are true Fascists because they are about to rout the Peelams.

The politicians know they will be answerable to why they pulled this stunt by sending our team in the first place and also why they didn't look into the security themselves. We ourselves are at war with Tiger Terrorists so our national team should have had its own security portfolio or atleast a review of the arrangements. This was a failure on all levels and by sheer luck they survived.

If these are elite police and security arrangements then I shudder to think what the average effort would look like. Teach them English and give them some driving lessons and how about armored buses?

Our Govt is in full damage control mode. All our players and nationals have been instructed to keep mum and to not say anyting denigrating of the Pakistani hosts. This Govt thinks they are true Fascists because they are about to rout the Peelams.

The politicians know they will be answerable to why they pulled this stunt by sending our team in the first place and also why they didn't look into the security themselves. We ourselves are at war with Tiger Terrorists so our national team should have had its own security portfolio or atleast a review of the arrangements. This was a failure on all levels and by sheer luck they survived.

If these are elite police and security arrangements then I shudder to think what the average effort would look like. Teach them English and give them some driving lessons and how about armored buses?

Follow up the news and you would notice that the police cheifs all of them were sacked and governor rule was imposed you being a citizen of Srilanka and me being of Pakistan I do apologize for the attacks on your players and I think every citizen apologizes for this but you have to say the recovery was excellent or else you saw what happened in Mumbai.

Security needs to be improved especially towards visitors I agree, but you have to understand how Pakistanis feel right now. Six of our brave policemen have been martyred by this attack. They gave up their lives to protect our Sri Lankan friends and also fellow Pakistanis.

No Sri Lankan was killed or had life-threatening injuries doctors even said they can play cricket again in two weeks time, thank God. This should be a lesson for Pakistanis to work on security and never let this kind of event ever happen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom