What's new

SECOND INDIA-BUILT CONVENTIONAL SUBMARINE READY FOR SEA TRIALS

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
INS_Kalvari.jpg

The second conventional submarine, INS Khanderi, built at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd will start sea trials off the Mumbai coast this week, while the first one has completed all trials and is set for commissioning into the Indian Naval fleet.

INS Kalveri, the first new conventional submarine, built at state-run Mazagon Docks, will be commissioned in July-August – the first after a gap of 17 years - Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba said on Wednesday.

INS Kalvari (tiger shark), the first of the six French diesel-electric Scorpene submarines being built under the Rs23,652 crore `Project-75' at Mazagon Docks in Mumbai, has undergone extensive sea trials.

The second one, INS Khanderi, in turn is slated to begin its long sea trials from Thursday.
The Indian Navy has a current fleet of 13 ageing conventional submarines, with just half of them operational at any given time. India also has two nuclear-powered submarines, INS Arihant and INS Chakra, but the latter does not have nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles because it has been acquired on lease from Russia.

China, which has over 55 submarines, with at least eight of them being nuclear ones, often frequent the IOR. Indian Navy has tracked at least seven Chinese submarines – both nuclear and conventional - entering the region since December 2013.

Although the Scorpene project faced huge time and cost overruns, the induction of new submarines comes as a big booster for the Navy, which is pitted against Pakistan in the West and China in the East.

INS Kalvari was to be ready by 2012, with the other five coming by 2017. Now, with the third submarine INS Vela to be "launched" later this year, all the six will be inducted by 2020 or so.

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/06/second-india-built-conventional.html

I dont understand the reason for these delays? Is it because of red tape-ism or technological?

This is equally applicable to Indians, Pakistanis and Chinese who have a go at others for pure dislike/hatred.

If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.....Hermann Hesse

Are PN have a compearable Submarine for this type of Indian Subs

IN rejected MESMA AIP because they were not reliable and prone to malfunction.
Infact they will cause more problems than gains.
wrong.., do yo u have any proof for that??

India wanted its own system under DRDO, DRDO simply messed up just like it messed up everything from simple rifle to LCA (before you jump at me, i personally believe that the didnt mess up, they simply gave the wrong time frame, you cant expect DRDO to come up with solution so quickly when they have no experience in it)

so at the end no AIP..
IMO conventional sub without AIP is pretty much lame SUB these days with advance maritime patrolling , you simply cant snookle up every couple of days and expect to be stealth

What's the utility of diesel subs in the age of supersized nuclear ones?
diesel are cheaper to run/buy/build and quieter but nuclear sub have advantage of being fast more range and endurance (30-45~ vs ~70-90 days). the speed advantage is notably only if AIP is operating in its stealth mode of running under pure battery.
unless you have lots of money like USA and ar going to build multiple subs and have vast experience in nuclear subs/micro reactors, i will bet on diesel subs as they are cheaper to build

wrong.., do yo u have any proof for that??

India wanted its own system under DRDO, DRDO simply messed up just like it messed up everything from simple rifle to LCA (before you jump at me, i personally believe that the didnt mess up, they simply gave the wrong time frame, you cant expect DRDO to come up with solution so quickly when they have no experience in it)

so at the end no AIP..
IMO conventional sub without AIP is pretty much lame SUB these days with advance maritime patrolling , you simply cant snookle up every couple of days and expect to be stealth

diesel are cheaper to run/buy/build and quieter but nuclear sub have advantage of being fast more range and endurance (30-45~ vs ~70-90 days). the speed advantage is notably only if AIP is operating in its stealth mode of running under pure battery.
unless you have lots of money like USA and ar going to build multiple subs and have vast experience in nuclear subs/micro reactors, i will bet on diesel subs as they are cheaper to build
MESMA are very inefficient & it requires lot of maintenance leading to high down time. An article in Undersea Warfare Magazine notes that: "although MESMA can provide higher output power than the other alternatives, its inherent efficiency is the lowest of the four AIP candidates, and its rate of oxygen consumption is correspondingly higher.

IN saw that Fuel cell AIP>No AIP>>>Closed AIP like MESMA

IN alqays wanted fuel cellAIP & saw closed cycle AIPs as a massive failure.

MESMA are very inefficient & it requires lot of maintenance leading to high down time. An article in Undersea Warfare Magazine notes that: "although MESMA can provide higher output power than the other alternatives, its inherent efficiency is the lowest of the four AIP candidates, and its rate of oxygen consumption is correspondingly higher.

IN saw that Fuel cell AIP>No AIP>>>Closed AIP like MESMA

IN alqays wanted fuel cellAIP & saw closed cycle AIPs as a massive failure.
well THERE IS HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NOT WORKING prone to malfunction AND SIMPLY BEING LESS EFFICIENT(i.e larger in size, more fuel consumption)

every body knows that each and every system has its up and down, e.g sterling is way less efficient than MESMA in warm waters, would i call it than a junk? I would prefer MESMA being cheaper and higher output than sterling, though hydrogen fuel cell AIP might be abit better

this is the most stupid logic i ever heard of, how come no AIP is far far far far better than MESMA..being equipped with AIP mesma is far far far far far better than not being equipped with any AIP,infact one can argue its one of better AIP, its all about what customer wants

i think this is DRDO main porblem, they want to build a star wars space craft and in doing so end up with nothing, you see this issue every where , arjun was a very good tank but they made it over weight and delayed for no reason, tejas was a perfect ac but some how delays for no reason, the list is lengthy

well if someone is so stupid to call no AIP better than MESMA, i wount even bother to reply

Back
Top Bottom