What's new

Second Earth' Possibly Discovered

I could be wrong here, but my point was that, currently we do not have technology to study an exoplanet that way. Our spectroscopic analysis is limited to planets in our solar system and stars.

As I said, I can be wrong, so I will try to find out more on this and will get back.

We CAN actually study atmospheric composition and other properties of extra solar planets by spectral analysis. As Developereo mentioned, it can only be done when the planet makes a transit in front of the planet.

Here is an excellent source for you :tup:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0603/0603376v1.pdf

Composition of the atmosphere of many exoplanets have been found this way

We CAN actually study atmospheric composition and other properties of extra solar planets by spectral analysis. As Developereo mentioned, it can only be done when the planet makes a transit in front of the planet.

Here is an excellent source for you :tup:

Composition of the atmosphere of many exoplanets have been found this way

Thanks Zeluva. I am traveling in another couple of hours so shall read it later tonight. I did read the abstract which says that the size and mass of the planet is arrived at, by that. The abstract did not mention the chemical composition. But perhaps the paper does.

However if it is only mass and radii, it is consistent with what I have mentioned, that we can only figure out the existence of a planet.

Moreover it is also consistent with the quote I mentioned in my previous post from the original submission citing discovery of the planet. They make "assumptions" on the temperature and the pressure based on the distance from the star.

As I said, I shall ask a scientist because my knowledge is very lacking and what better way than to ask an astrophysicist to figure out the answer. :)

Regards,
Anoop.

Life is only on earth because Makkah Madina are on this planet...take your time of next thousand years and let the technology get more advanced you will never be able to find a single cell on other planets neither you will find a supportive environment for man's living maximum you can do is go there establish a station do some experiments and come back to your earth

This planet is the only gift of nature worth living and bearing life untill the hearts will not forget the Creator

Thanks Zeluva. I am traveling in another couple of hours so shall read it later tonight. I did read the abstract which says that the size and mass of the planet is arrived at, by that. The abstract did not mention the chemical composition. But perhaps the paper does.

You are correct that the abstract does not mention much or anything at all when it comes to composition. But it is there in the article.

Here's one short paragraph from the article

In order to model the atmospheres and spectra of extrasolar giant planets in general, and hot Jupiters in particular, one must assemble extensive databases of molecular and atomic opacities. The species of most relevance, and which provide diagnostic signatures, are H2O, CO, CH4, H2, Na, K, Fe, NH3, N2, and silicates. The chemical abundances of these and minority species are derived using thermochemical data and minimizing the global free energy. Non-equilibrium effects in the upper atmospheres require chemical networks and kinetic coefficients. With the abundances and opacities, as well as models for the stellar spectrum, one can embark upon calculations of the atmospheric temperature, pressure, and composition profiles and of the emergent spectrum of an irradiated planet.

Section 3 of the article in particular deals with atmosphere of exoplanets ;)

Hi Zeluvaa,
Here are some of my observations.

The following text in the paper is of importance to our discussion.

The 9 transiting planets are the only ones for which we have accurate estimates of key physical parameters such as mass, radius, and, by inference, composition.

There are two points of importance to be noted here.
1.) "Jupiter like" big planets. Jupiter has a huge significance. It is a planet but if only it had been 10 times as massive, it could have been a dwarf star. It and it's like are gaseous planets. There is not much chance of finding life over there.

2.) Jupiter like planets are exceptions to this spectroscopic study. They are really massive. In fact Jupiter's magnetosphere is the single biggest thing in the solar system after Sun's own magnetic field.

In the context of the discussion for this earth like planet, most reference comes from the mass, size and other things. Infact the original paper, as I quoted above, mentions that the temperature and other conditions like green house effect are assumed.

Regards,
Anoop.

I doubt the human race will survive a century, if not pre-occupied in fighting their last battles.

a very valid point ; and not to forget 2012 mystery:smokin: but as far as the question of any intelligent life like us out there in the universe is concerned then i guess we humans (as intelligent beings) are unique in this universe:

MuZammiL Dr. s[1]n;1181287 said:
a very valid point ; and not to forget 2012 mystery:smokin: but as far as the question of any intelligent life like us out there in the universe is concerned then i guess we humans (as intelligent beings) are unique in this universe:

That is BS,nothing gonna happen in that year.2012.just chill

Atmospheric studies of planets outside our solar system is an amazing technological feat. I'll toss this out - if they ever find one of these planets with a high oxygen content, scientists will go ballistic, because that is an almost guaranteed sign of life. Free oxygen is not natural. It is in fact a very reactive element, and without continued replenishment by plants, our own oxygen would combine with minerals and such, and get locked up as oxides.

So if they see a rocky planet with water vapor and an oxygen level around 25% or better, it would be a strong indicator of oceans with algae and such.

^^^ Choggy...

Agreed. Funny, only yesterday my friend and I were discussing this very property of oxygen. Infact there is a book called, Astronomica, and those were the exact words used. Incredibly good book.

And thank you for sharing that point here.

Regards,
Anoop

Back
Top Bottom