Scorpene sub to be ready by 2015

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Scorpene sub to be ready by 2015

scorpene1.jpg

HYDERABAD India is expected to commission its first Scorpene submarine, being developed by French naval construction group DCNS, by 2015, said Federal Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju here on Monday.

State-owned Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) is producing six SSK Scorpene submarines (P75) under transfer of technology from DCNS. Simultaneously, DCNS India, its Indian subsidiary, is working on the selection of Indian companies as partners for local production of the Scorpene’s equipment.

“We are expecting the first submarine to roll out by 2015. We should have all the submarines by 2018. The total cost is little over Rs200 billion,” Raju said.

As per the schedule, hulks of six submarines, considered as a critical part, should be manufactured by the end of the year, he said.

To a query, he said India has got investments of Rs200 billion so far due to ‘Indian Defence Offset Policy’, that mandates foreign defence equipment suppliers to farm out a certain proportion of the work (30 per cent of the contract value) to Indian suppliers.

Raju inaugurated the joint facility of city-based SEC Industries and DCNS that would make 14 critical components for the Scorpene, to be supplied to MDL.

French Ambassador François Richier was also present.

DCNS India signed a contract with SEC Industries for the manufacture of high technological equipment for the P75 Scorpene submarines in September 2011; second contract was signed in May this year for additional items.

Bernard Buisson, Managing Director of DCNS India, said these contracts cover an extensive Transfer of Technology.

Separately, India has started working on its second indigenous aircraft carrier even as the construction of the first one has been marred by delay of over two years.

The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC)-II would be the largest ship in terms of the weight and size to have ever been built by the navy, navy sources said in Kochi.

Oman Tribune - the edge of knowledge

holy crap indian navy is going crazy.. do they get some underground funding from the govt????

the best of the development is the offset policy. due to this 100s of new companies will rise up and form partnerships with top foreign vendors. they will make equipment for them. its 4 billion and rising. india is heading towards a great future in defence deals...

most of the equipment in our shivalik class destroyers, kamorta, kolkatta , like the sam missiles, cannon, rocket launchers are manufactured by larson and toubro(under liscence) and the gearbox and engine companenents are by elecon engineering. electronics, warfare suit by drdo and bel.

but india depends on foreign players for engines and radars components. Although drdo aesa radar will be soon ready and naval version will also be launched.

now its time to make these ships and subs 100% indegeneous, india should buld its own propulsion engines. This is the only way to be the hub of warship building.

DCNS and SEC Industries achieve another milestone under the Indian Scorpene submarines programme
07/17/2012 | 01:47pm US/Eastern

DCNS SA : 2012/07/17

Inauguration of new workshops & deliveries of indigenous equipment

SEC Industries and DCNS today officially inaugurated new workshop facilities and delivered, after successful Factory Acceptance Tests, the cofferdam doors coamings for the Indian P75* Scorpene submarines.

The facilities were inaugurated by Shri M.M. Pallam Raju, the Indian Honbl'e Minister of State for Defence, Government of India. French Ambassador to India, H.E. Mr. François Richier was present at the occasion along with other Indian senior dignitaries and officials.

In September 2011, DCNS India** signed a contract with SEC Industries for the manufacture of for high technological equipment for the P75 Scorpene submarines. A second contract was signed in May 2012 for additional items. These contracts cover an extensive Transfer of Technology (TOT), today running at full speed. The contract is part of the indigenization programme implemented by DCNS India under the P75 Mazagon Purchased Materials (MPM) contracts.

By helping SEC industries in building new industrial workshops and in delivering cofferdam coamings for Scorpene submarines, DCNS has achieved yet another milestone in its endeavour to manufacture indigenous products and equipments and provide transfer of technology under P75 Scorpene submarine programme.

New industrial means

Spread over 1500 sq. m., the workshop facility is integrated with modern capabilities for various manufacturing activities such as shotblasting, welding and painting. There are new CNC and conventional machines together with test and measurement fixtures - including a pit for under pressure testing. There is a temperature controlled area for the storage of specific equipment and material. The newly recruited technicians and engineers have dedicated offices (a mezzanine of 155 sqm) and training areas.

D. Vidyasagar, Managing Director of SEC Industries said "We are happy to be part of the on-going indigenisation of the P75 programme. With the know-how, technical assistance and constant support provided by DCNS, we are happy to have developed these new facilities and delivered some major indigenous equipments for the Scorpene submarines."

Bernard Planchais, Chief Operating Officer of DCNS developed "We started our technology transfers with MDL to help them achieve a degree of accuracy and quality at par with other major worldwide shipyards as far as pressure hull manufacturing is concerned. We are now concentrating our efforts to help MDL integrate equipment inside the submarines and assist our industrial partners to deliver in a timely manner to MDL the various indigenized equipment of the Scorpenes. DCNS wishes to enlarge its footprint in India, we are developing win-win industrial partnerships for the long term benefits of our customers."

"The contract with SEC is part of the indigenization programme implemented by DCNS India under the P75 Mazagon Purchased Materials (MPM) contracts. Through this commitment to manufacture in India, we are developing strong industrial partnerships and capabilities for the P75 and future programmes." added Bernard Buisson, Managing Director of DCNS India.

Deliveries of key equipments for the Indian Scorpenes

Bernard Buisson explained "The building of workshop facilities and successful delivery of cofferdam doors coamings for Scorpene Submarines is a testimonial to our constant efforts towards indigenization of equipments for P75 Scorpene submarine programme through successfully implemented TOTs."

Mr. Buisson added "The Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) for the first locally-made P75 cofferdam doors coamings was successfully performed at SEC Industries in June. The indigenized equipment were made as per the contractual quality requirements, and their delivery to our customer MDL ahead of schedule."

The cofferdam doors and coamings are key safety components of the submarine. The cofferdam itself is a watertight enclosure; in case of incident, it can be used to isolate the flooded submarine part and proceed to the crew evacuation.

DCNS SA : 2012/07/17 DCNS and SEC Industries achieve another milestone under the Indian Scorpene submarines programme

mandates foreign defence equipment suppliers to farm out a certain proportion of the work (30 per cent of the contract value) to Indian suppliers.

WTF!!! just 30% TOT :angry:

WTF!!! just 30% TOT

Srry the logic escaped me. How does it translate to TOT? :undecided:

It says that 30% of the contract value, and tht means work experience with components developed indigenously for a foreign machine.

According to me it means tht 30% of the money will remain within the country and the rest will go to french worker pockets.

Nothing to do with TOT imo.

It says that 30% of the contract value, and tht means work experience with components developed indigenously for a foreign machine.

According to me it means tht 30% of the money will remain within the country and the rest will go to french worker pockets.

Exactly, it's about the offsets (not ToT) MoD mandates every foreign manufacturer to invest back into India and our industry, which is pretty big ammount btw compared to other countries.

no it doesnt mean that 30 % will stay in india and rest will go to france. each sub costs like 1 billion so that means that atleast 30% of the equipment has to made india under tot. it could be more than 30%. then there are many other companies involved like steel manufacturers, L&T and drdo etc. on the whole almost all the sub equipment is manufactured in india except somethings that france wants to us to import. but that doesnt means that dcns is earning 70% of the cost. they earn much less than that.

30% components produced in India and the rest sourced from France - it's not an absolute value that I mentioned but the approximate work put in by Indian partners which more or less will come to 30% of know how and experience.

waow another delay....As per my knowledge Indian Navy should have commissioned first scorpene Submarine by the end of 2012....But all thanks to the lazy Babu's it has been delayed by 3 years...and all thanks to them at present submarine is the weakest arm of Indian Navy....with 90% of the submarines being atleast 20 years old

Now I really hope Scorpenes do get inducted before retiring :(

If MDL pull of all submarines within 2015-18 then it will be sort of great achivement and miracle also.
lets hope nothing we can do other then it.
Atleast they should give p75I sub deal to pvt shipyards like L&T they can atleast deliver it faster then MDL

if i am not mistaken there was an article which clearly stated that the MDL was having problems absorbing the TOT . i guess thats the reason for the delay .
if they are able to induct all 6 subs in a span of three yrs , it would be worth it , as the original schedule was for all subs to be inducted between 12-18 .

if i am not mistaken there was an article which clearly stated that the MDL was having problems absorbing the TOT . i guess thats the reason for the delay .
if they are able to induct all 6 subs in a span of three yrs , it would be worth it , as the original schedule was for all subs to be inducted between 12-18 .

yeah this delay has been due to some teething problems in absorbing TOT.
but they said all problems over come and now they are going at pretty good pace.
All the hulls are under various stages of construction

But they will be outdated as soon as they are inducted, considering these ships dont have AIP....

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom