What's new

Scientists Scanned A Woman's Brain During An Out-of-Body Experience, and what they found is amazing

Religion never spoke to me, to be honest.

In the event, I do convert to a religion, it will be Buddhism.

Although I do like some tenets of Islam. Like giving a portion of your wealth to the poor is that right? :unsure:

And the strong sense of community is a plus point too.

Yes we give 2.5% per year of our income in charity.

Yes we give 2.5% per year of our income in charity.
That is not mandatory. All religion have such tenets. Like Hinduism (5% of income) and Christianity ("all" income)... Only Islam imposes Jizya though....

That is not mandatory. All religion have such tenets. Like Hinduism (5% of income) and Christianity ("all" income)... Only Islam imposes Jizya though....

It is mandatory but it is not enforced and it is up to the individual to donate in whatever way they want, it is better this way anyway since the rulers would just pocket the money being corrupt as they are. Except shias though they usually pay their alms to their Imams who then use it on the community (how much is used on what is debatable). It is mandatory though although it is obvious you intended to troll.

It is mandatory but it is not enforced and it is up to the individual to donate in whatever way they want, it is better this way anyway since the rulers would just pocket the money being corrupt as they are. Except shias though they usually pay their alms to their Imams who then use it on the community (how much is used on what is debatable). It is mandatory though although it is obvious you intended to troll.
I am not trolling. My point is every religion has some sort of "advice" for charity. It doesn't mean we can't have charity without religion.

My Atheism wasn't a great intellectual struggle.

When I was eight years old, I just stopped believing in any sort of deity.

When I was in kerala, I had exposure to Islam, Christianity and Hinduism. My parents were Hindus and I never really bought into religion.

Whever Christian missionaries in new Zealand tries to convert me, I just have a debate in a friendly manner.

I want to know more about religion, it's history. But even when I was a little boy, I always thought god, or gods were fictional entities created by Man, an embodiment of their fears, prejudices and qualities.

My Atheism is part of an expression of my individualism. I never think about religion till it is brought up.

I see how you came about but I want to know more about what drives those thoughts, are there specific realities or factors that you see that play a role? Or specific things in life you question that lead you to doubting a deity exists?

It's less about thinking of religion and more about thinking of God. We all spend time thinking of this life and it's meaning with the exception of a few people who don't want anything to revolve around a deity. :)

I see how you came about but I want to know more about what drives those thoughts, are there specific realities or factors that you see that play a role? Or specific things in life you question that lead you to doubting a deity exists?

It's less about thinking of religion and more about thinking of God. We all spend time thinking of this life and it's meaning with the exception of a few people who don't want anything to revolve around a deity. :)

Being an atheist , there isn't any specific impulse or stimulus for someone to turn into atheism. Neither is it right to term atheists aren't comfortable with the concept of God, it is simple there isn't enough evidence to support the concept of God for a skeptic.

Yes. I hope I do not offend you with the opinion I have.

I believe that ultimately Humans are the prime movers of history. I do not think for a moment, that anything akin to a divine intervention has happened in Human history, and religion has many times in history has ended up as a convenient tool for people in power to manipulate.

Even philosophies like Communism fail because it sells the idea of a Utopia, and this is impossible since Humans are flawed and they can never build a perfect society.

As for the answers for why we are here, ad what is our purpose, Science, art and literature has answered those questions more effectively for me than any religion.

The fact that Science changes it's theories based on new evidence, for me lends even more credence because in a genuine investigation, the facts on the ground changes. Religion remains stale.

In this quest to find out who we are, what we are, why we are here, where we are headed, Nobody knows the answer. I think that's the truth. I don't think Muslims, Christians or any other religion has the answer.

But I think the search for those answers is more important than the results, because Humanity can progress because of it.

Because Only Humans can rescue themselves. I don't think a God/Gods can do it.

Being an atheist , there isn't any specific impulse or stimulus for someone to turn into atheism. Neither is it right to term atheists aren't comfortable with the concept of God, it is simple there isn't enough evidence to support the concept of God for a skeptic.

Precisely, many people say why did you become an Atheist?

The simple answer is, I can't bring myself to believe in a god/Gods.

Nice avatar btw.

Thanks, it was a selfie. :D

Did your education in science start your atheism or did it merely confirm it?

My Brother is studying Chemistry.

Before he went to University, he was religious. He is doing his PHd, and now he is an Atheist :D

Did your education in science start your atheism or did it merely confirm it?

My Brother is studying Chemistry.

Before he went to University, he was religious. He is doing his PHd, and now he is an Atheist :D

No, it is not. The process was long and informative and has to be more with the study of history than science. Every major civilization had a concept of God, which went extinct with the end of the civilization and the form of God was never to be seen again. If the concept of God is as omnipotent as he is perceived to be, then the image of God would have been constant irrespective of civilizations.

Scientists Scanned A Woman's Brain During An Out-Of-Body Experience — And What They Found Was Amazing - Yahoo Finance

It may sound like a plot from "The Twilight Zone," but a psychology graduate student at the University of Ottawa says she can voluntarily enter an out-of-body experience. This was a lucky break for scientists, who were able to scan her brain during the episode.

Usually out-of-body experiences are a part of, say, a near-death experience. A patient may float above their own body as surgeons work on them. These experiences are usually attributed to the drugs in a patient's system, or the hormones released into their system by trauma.

A unique experience
The study — which only involved this one person — was published Feb. 10 in the journal Frontiers of Human Neuroscience, a peer-reviewed open access publication. The researchers are members of the School Of Psychology at the University of Ottawa.

According to the paper, this woman enters her out-of-body state right before sleeping, visualizing herself from above. She started doing so during naptime in preschool, they write. She currently only does it sometimes.

The researchers wrote in the paper:

She was able to see herself rotating in the air above her body, lying flat, and rolling along with the horizontal plane. She reported sometimes watching herself move from above but remained aware of her unmoving "real" body...

She told the researchers:

I feel myself moving, or, more accurately, can make myself feel as if I am moving. I know perfectly well that I am not actually moving. There is no duality of body and mind when this happens, not really. In fact, I am hyper-sensitive to my body at that point, because I am concentrating so hard on the sensation of moving. I am the one moving – me – my body. For example, if I ‘spin’ for long enough, I get dizzy. I do not see myself above my body. Rather, my whole body has moved up. I feel it as being above where I know it actually is. I usually also picture myself as moving up in my mind’s eye, but the mind is not substantive. It does not move unless the body does.

The brain out of the body
The researchers did a fMRI before and after asking her to enter her out-of-body state to find out what that looked like in the brain. They compared these to when she was imagining, but not actually entering, the state.

Interestingly, the pathway that seemed to be activated during her out-of-body experience is also involved in the mental representation of movements.

Scientists_Scanned_A_Woman%27s_Brain-d406f50b2948df9924612bfe89332a54

Andra M. Smith and Claude Messier, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 2014

Brain regions activated by the out-of-body experience include the supplementary motor area, the cerebellum, the supramarginal gyrus, the inferior temporal gyrus, the middle and superior orbitofrontal gyri.

Some parts of her brain involved in interpreting vision were turned down in activity, as shown below:

Scientists_Scanned_A_Woman%27s_Brain-5649f42d4a36cbfe88dc34614841d968

Andra M. Smith and Claude Messier, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 2014

Brain regions inhibited by the out-of-body experience include the visual cortex.

She didn't have any specific emotions surrounding this experience, and i t seems to be a kind of hallucination she can turn on at will.

What's happening?
Even if there is no soul stuck in our bodies, this woman isn't making this up. There's obviously something happening in her brain that is making her experience the world in a different way — but researchers can't yet say exactly what it is. Plus, this study was about one woman's out-of-body experience, not all out-of-body experiences.

Still, the changes they observed could be similar to how the brain can be trained using meditation. The researchers even suggested that this could be something many kids can do, but that with practice could be carried into adulthood.

Interestingly, the researchers suggested that this kind of experience may be much more common than we thought. The woman in question actually "appeared surprised that not everyone could experience this," the researchers wrote.

It's important for readers to understand that the fMRI paper is not an experiment with a hypothesis, like "people can leave their bodies and float around the room," that has been tested in a double-blind scenario, like "once the subject was asleep, a playing card was placed next to them and removed before they woke. They were asked to name the card they saw during their out-of-body experience", and been shown to be statistically valid, like "8 out of 10 times the subject was able to correctly identify the playing card," and been peer reviewed and then published in a journal. Instead, this is the case of a person who claims to be able to leave her body at will, so researchers stuck her in an fMRI machine and looked at what happened to her brain when she was having this experience/hallucination..

The Woman Who Thinks She Can Will Herself Out of Her Body | Popular Science

:)

No, it is not. The process was long and informative and has to be more with the study of history than science. Every major civilization had a concept of God, which went extinct with the end of the civilization and the form of God was never to be seen again. If the concept of God is as omnipotent as he is perceived to be, then the image of God would have been constant irrespective of civilizations.

I find God to be an embodiment of a culture/nation's fears, qualities and their outlook.

A Homophobic, warlike, misogynistic nation will have guess what, a God/Gods which reflects this view.

I find God to be an embodiment of a culture/nation's fears, qualities and their outlook.

A Homophobic, warlike, misogynistic nation will have guess what, a God/Gods which reflects this view.

A religion is a perfect tool to control the masses to be obedient to the authority, giving them a promise of a pleasant afterlife.

are we talking about astral projection here??????

300px-Inicio_projecao.jpg

A religion is a perfect tool to control the masses to be obedient to the authority, giving them a promise of a pleasant afterlife.

To be honest, it is a double-edged sword.

The same religions give us holidays, traditions to celebrate. Gives the people a sense of community.

But it remains unique in the fact that you can justify mass murder because you believe it justifies your faith in god.

So this makes Religion no more divinely inspired than nationalism.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom