What's new

Scientists Scanned A Woman's Brain During An Out-of-Body Experience, and what they found is amazing

Falcon29

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Scientists Scanned A Woman's Brain During An Out-Of-Body Experience — And What They Found Was Amazing - Yahoo Finance

It may sound like a plot from "The Twilight Zone," but a psychology graduate student at the University of Ottawa says she can voluntarily enter an out-of-body experience. This was a lucky break for scientists, who were able to scan her brain during the episode.

Usually out-of-body experiences are a part of, say, a near-death experience. A patient may float above their own body as surgeons work on them. These experiences are usually attributed to the drugs in a patient's system, or the hormones released into their system by trauma.

A unique experience
The study — which only involved this one person — was published Feb. 10 in the journal Frontiers of Human Neuroscience, a peer-reviewed open access publication. The researchers are members of the School Of Psychology at the University of Ottawa.

According to the paper, this woman enters her out-of-body state right before sleeping, visualizing herself from above. She started doing so during naptime in preschool, they write. She currently only does it sometimes.

The researchers wrote in the paper:

She was able to see herself rotating in the air above her body, lying flat, and rolling along with the horizontal plane. She reported sometimes watching herself move from above but remained aware of her unmoving "real" body...

She told the researchers:

I feel myself moving, or, more accurately, can make myself feel as if I am moving. I know perfectly well that I am not actually moving. There is no duality of body and mind when this happens, not really. In fact, I am hyper-sensitive to my body at that point, because I am concentrating so hard on the sensation of moving. I am the one moving – me – my body. For example, if I ‘spin’ for long enough, I get dizzy. I do not see myself above my body. Rather, my whole body has moved up. I feel it as being above where I know it actually is. I usually also picture myself as moving up in my mind’s eye, but the mind is not substantive. It does not move unless the body does.

The brain out of the body
The researchers did a fMRI before and after asking her to enter her out-of-body state to find out what that looked like in the brain. They compared these to when she was imagining, but not actually entering, the state.

Interestingly, the pathway that seemed to be activated during her out-of-body experience is also involved in the mental representation of movements.

Scientists_Scanned_A_Woman%27s_Brain-d406f50b2948df9924612bfe89332a54

Andra M. Smith and Claude Messier, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 2014

Brain regions activated by the out-of-body experience include the supplementary motor area, the cerebellum, the supramarginal gyrus, the inferior temporal gyrus, the middle and superior orbitofrontal gyri.

Some parts of her brain involved in interpreting vision were turned down in activity, as shown below:

Scientists_Scanned_A_Woman%27s_Brain-5649f42d4a36cbfe88dc34614841d968

Andra M. Smith and Claude Messier, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 2014

Brain regions inhibited by the out-of-body experience include the visual cortex.

She didn't have any specific emotions surrounding this experience, and i t seems to be a kind of hallucination she can turn on at will.

What's happening?
Even if there is no soul stuck in our bodies, this woman isn't making this up. There's obviously something happening in her brain that is making her experience the world in a different way — but researchers can't yet say exactly what it is. Plus, this study was about one woman's out-of-body experience, not all out-of-body experiences.

Still, the changes they observed could be similar to how the brain can be trained using meditation. The researchers even suggested that this could be something many kids can do, but that with practice could be carried into adulthood.

Interestingly, the researchers suggested that this kind of experience may be much more common than we thought. The woman in question actually "appeared surprised that not everyone could experience this," the researchers wrote.

I had one of these about 30 years ago, I still remember it like it was yesterday

if they had a piece of paper on her forehead and she could read it I would be amazed...until then this is all meaningless.

I have had sleep paralysis episodes in the past (eyes suddenly open while asleep and your body is locked and you find yourself staring at a fixed point on the ceiling hallucinating unable to do anything but fight with your brain to wake yourself up).

Call me a skeptic.

if they had a piece of paper on her forehead and she could read it I would be amazed...until then this is all meaningless.

I have had sleep paralysis episodes in the past (eyes suddenly open while asleep and your body is locked and you find yourself staring at a fixed point on the ceiling hallucinating unable to do anything but fight with your brain to wake yourself up).

Call me a skeptic.

It's not sleep paralysis, I had a moment in my life where I woke up late during the night randomly for a minute and felt a presence behind me but for some reason I couldn't move I felt safe but scared at the same time while I also felt a connection with something in the universe and I got a feeling which translated itself and told me 'I'm here I'm watching'. I felt awkward the rest of the day I'm not sure what happened but it was interesting.

I'm not sure if I believe that actual out of body experiences are possible. I believe there is a soul but it doesn't operate this way. So she's experiencing something else.

It's not sleep paralysis, I had a moment in my life where I woke up late during the night randomly for a minute and felt a presence behind me but for some reason I couldn't move I felt safe but scared at the same time while I also felt a connection with something in the universe and I got a feeling which translated itself and told me 'I'm here I'm watching'. I felt awkward the rest of the day I'm not sure what happened but it was interesting.

I'm not sure if I believe that actual out of body experiences are possible. I believe there is a soul but it doesn't operate this way. So she's experiencing something else.

When I have sleep paralysis I see shadows moving and feel a presence. I also see my arm and hand move across in front of my face when i tell them to move but I know they are not since I tell them to hit me in the face to wake me up and nothing happens.

You have to understand that part of your brain is awake and part is asleep. You are not thinking clearly because of that. Have you ever attempted to read more than a sentence on a piece of paper in a dream? You can't because that part of the brain is shutoff.

Last edited:
When I have sleep paralysis I see shadows moving and feel a presense. I also see my arm and hand move across in front of my face when i tell them to move but I know they are not since I tell them to hit me in the face to wake me up and nothing happens.

I never see things ....when I had this one moment I felt a presence was there to protect me from harm but not physical harm. I never really had mystical experiences except the one I just mentioned to you and one other time I took a nap for a couple hours and it was very comfortable but I woke up with my blanket wrapped around me like a shroud for dead people and I was flat on my back with my face pointing towards the sky.

I had one creepy moment I was home alone and my television audio screwed up and it started making a grudge like noise if you've seen the movie. So I walked away a little and thought my little sibling was speaking upstairs but I nobody was there I heard a little girl speaking it was odd.

I've had dreams where I was holding unto a rope and animals we're on a plastic bag flying me around, it was really fun. :D

Then I had a moment where I think I almost passed out, I might have dehydrated I felt like throwing up then felt super dizzy and my vision became really bright the cars were glowing with white light then the sky was glowing with white light all I could see was white light but I also could see light in my brain it was like a bright light with a shadowy grey color to it almost like those things where they check if there's a baby in a woman...but more light...I felt like my body was shutting down and my legs wouldn't function people came and helped me and two minutes later I regained vision....it was a bad feeling since I hate getting dizzy or having a throw up feeling but the way everything around me became bright was pretty cool life seemed like it was slowly fading away but I didn't see more than that.

I can generate the worst experience in an instant. I have to keep my concentration to not let that happen. Any thought will be inter-spliced with what my eyes see in view of that one spot on the ceiling. If I think fire..my room will be instantly in flames with me not being able to move. If I think snake..a snake will come out the ceiling. If I think space aliens I'll see them too as clear as day.

Really? Share your experience if you may...:)

Because there's things we can't explain, yet people rush to try to rule out that God exists in this Universe.
What?? Scientists are exactly telling the opposite. They are telling "out of the body" experience is an illusion created in the brain, that too which can be practiced...... nothing new here, this is what scientists suspected long ago....

Since this was a woman having a mind out of body experience, I am guessing they found .... no difference? (just kidding!)

On sleep paralysis, it is normal and happens to everyone. During REM sleep, the brain deliberately disconnects most of the body's muscles so people don't start moving around in reaction to dreams. Upon awakening directly from REM sleep (happens sometimes), people become aware of their surroundings before the brain "reactivates" the muscle control. The sensation of an "entity" is also a known and documented psychological phenomena where the brain "cooks up" imaginary entities to fill the void of no sensory input.

That's why people go to sensory deprivation tanks (suspended in a tank of fluid, for example) to try and have "out of body" experiences. All it is is the brain making things up to avoid boredom.

Call me a skeptic.
.I've had sleep paralysis many times. It used to happen when I'd suddenly wake up from a lucid dream. I knew I was awake but was not able to move my body or even open my eyes. It would happen for about 5 to 10 sec. I had to fight hard then I would get a jerk and then everything would be fine.

that happened with me too 3 - 4 times..i would try to woke up but coundnt, one day I struggled hard and throw blows in the air whn I was able to woke up.. since then I idnt experienced it. I searched abput it and find out it happens to lot of people. because sometimes mind wake up but hormones which make the body move doest respond quickly enough

that happened with me too 3 - 4 times..i would try to woke up but coundnt, one day I struggled hard and throw blows in the air whn I was able to woke up.. since then I idnt experienced it. I searched abput it and find out it happens to lot of people. because sometimes mind wake up but hormones which make the body move doest respond quickly enough

I was awake it just I almost felt like I wanted to move but at same time my instinct was telling me not to. I went back to sleep in a couple minutes but it didn't feel ordinary at all it felt beautiful and made kept my mind thinking for the next week.

I was awake it just I almost felt like I wanted to move but at same time my instinct was telling me not to. I went back to sleep in a couple minutes but it didn't feel ordinary at all it felt beautiful and made kept my mind thinking for the next week.
what I meant was I was awake but couldn't move.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom