What's new

Sci fi fans, get in here.

that was some horrible movie...The scientist in me never screams crap at a movie but Lucy did the trick! :angry:

Okay, I need some more suggestions for sci fi movies. It seems I've exhausted the top lists I can find. :(

Just share your favourites. 8-)

Also, let this thread be a platform for us to bask in each others' nerdiness, general sci fi related discussions.. like the new star wars film @Armstrong.

Accepted languages ITT:

1. English
  2. Klingon

edit: I forgot to mention, scifi related wallpapers would be welcomed if you have any. I got some high res ones I'll share.
For unknown reasons I really liked this movie:

In-Time-Film.jpg

Another good one was:

looper-14731-1920x1200.jpg

This was ok too:

Inception-movie-poster-2.jpg

This was different too:

51jKc14DnlL._SX200_.jpg

This was nice:

Although many started saying it is a copy of FernGully

ferngully-the-last-rainforest.jpg

Not sure I agree with this but:

SciFiFantasy-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full-.jpg

For a sweet and poignant short story where science is central to the storyline (a distressing rarity in most so-called science fiction), I like Semley's Necklace (link below) by Ursula Le Guin.

http://commons.wvc.edu/nhoward/215/Course Documents/Some Stories FF08.pdf

As for movies,the binary sunset scene in Star Wars IV is my favorite. For me, this 30 second scene captures the essence of science fiction better than all the TV shows and movies combined.

That's my favourite star wars scene too.

How about this one from 2001?

It's long, about 10 mins, The first clip follows on to the second. This was the defining moment in my nerd life, when I first watched the opening of 2001.

Even now as I watch it, I have a goofy looking smile on my face throughout. Though admittedly it starts off a little less elegantly than that star wars scene what with all the fighting and hollering. :D

edit: to those who have't seen it, it shows early man's first use of tools/weapons, fast forwards to the future where we went from beating each other with bones to travelling in space.

:smitten:

Has anybody mentioned Red Dwarf yet? :D

Ah red dwarf!! They're doing reruns of that show over here on UK television, on Dave.

That's my favourite star wars scene too.

How about this one from 2001?

It's long, about 10 mins, The first clip follows on to the second. This was the defining moment in my nerd life, when I first watched the opening of 2001.

2001 is a superb movie with great themes and imagery. One of the best, by far.
Many science fiction films have great visuals.

What I like about the Star Wars binary sunset scene is the combination of the music, imagery and Luke's emotions. It's absolutely perfect.

Luke looks forlorn at the skies, knowing there is a whole universe out there teeming with life, action, adventure, and he is cut off from it all, trapped on a planet. That is the feeling many of us have when reading or watching science fiction.

No other scene captures that feeling better than the binary sunset scene, for me.

I just adore Arthur C Clarke. I read his voluminous novel called 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was just 14. It was adopted to a similar named movie as well. There were some other stories in it as well like Rendezvous with Rama, Moondust etc.

Close Encounter of Third Kind is a good movie.

Among the latest ones you can watch Edge of Tomorrow and Guardians of Galaxy.

And yes, who can forget gorgeous Sandra Bullock in the recent hit Gravity.

Has anyone seen Battlestar Galactica?

that serial is for video gamers... i didn't follow that serial though i thing i liked in it was the build of the robots ( cylons or cyclons?? ).

that serial is for video gamers... i didn't follow that serial though i thing i liked in it was the build of the robots ( cylons or cyclons?? ).

It's not based off a video game.

And yes, they are called Cylons.

Back
Top Bottom