What's new

Scheduled Tribes’ Students Can Get Admission In IIM-A By Not Attempting Any Question In CAT

Reaction score
Country
India
In a reply to an RTI inquiry, it was found that the cut off for ST candidates for getting admission into IIM Ahmedabad for the 2013-15 batch was 38.34 percentile. If you don’t attempt any answers in your CAT paper, your score is roughly 55 percentile.

Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad is arguably one of the top management colleges in the country. Every year, more than a hundred thousand students appear for the Common Admission Test (CAT) and it is a well-known fact that for most of these people, IIM-A would be their dream institute.

In the year 2013, 1.73 lakh students appeared for CAT. Now while we all know that CAT has negative marking, the shocking part is that in the yaer 2013, over 95,000 of test takers got zero or negative marks!

IIM Ahmedabad being one of the best colleges, you would assume their cut offs to be amongst the highest and you would be right. The cut offs are generally never declared but they are public knowledge, so you can file an RTI and ask them what the cut offs were. A good samaritan named Mr Deepak Mehta filed it and got a reply as well.

Here is what he got. (Click image to expand.)

The difference between the cut off for a general category student and a ST category student in 2013 is 59.94 percentile! In addition to that, the RTI response is evidential of the fact that the difference has been increasing almost every year.

Is it right to compromise on quality to such an extent? What will be the consequences of having students who are at two different ends of the spectrum in the same class? Imagine the plight of the student who scored 98.27!

If you think this is unjust and to a large extent horrifying then the next revelation will probably make you cry.

What percentile do you think a student would score if s/he did not attempt even one answer on their CAT paper?

55 percentile.

You heard that right!

It means that a student who has ST reservation will get a call from the best management college in the country just for showing up for the entrance exam and stating his/her name.

“A score of ‘0’ in QA and DI equals 53.61 percentile and the same in VA and LR puts a candidate on 57.23 percentile. The overall percentile for a candidate scoring zero in both the section is 55.46 percentile.” [Ref. 1]

A copy of the original score card of the candidate who did not attempt any answers can be found here.

Reservation was started for a purpose. The purpose was to level the playing field. The purpose of keeping the reservation rule has changed. We are continuing with it now because it gets politicians votes. If a politician decides to speak against it, s/he is destined to lose elections.

Is that what we have become? Are we so conditioned to getting handouts that we will protest the cancellation of handouts even if they are doing more harm than good?

What about other institutes like IIM Ahmedabad? Is this how they are treated for building a reputation and working hard to have high standards?

Scheduled Tribes' Students Can Get Admission In IIM-A By Not Attempting Any Question In CAT - Youth Connect

@jaibi @Oscar @Jaanbaz @Marshmallow @levina @Sidak @Joe Shearer @ExtraOdinary @Roybot @jarves @Ravi Nair @Dillinger @Indischer @DRAY @scorpionx @Manvantaratruti @GURU DUTT @Imran Khan @chak de INDIA @45'22' @SpArK @kurup @Guynextdoor2 @Prometheus @third eye @Kloitra @he-man @Android and others

Come and join Indian politics and say that in public. :D

I agree with your point(100%), though. This is called institutionalizing the caste system. "Never gonna let you go" :(

It was made to give equal rights to the most poor section of the society. I wonder what do the rest of Indians think about this? specially the students who are not ST and didn't make it.

Reserved seats should have cut off marks, rather than percentiles.
Many will remain empty then. :ashamed:
Yeah, real genius. It takes a lot of hard work to be a reserved. Suck on that generals.
ROFL :omghaha:
It was made to give equal rights to the most poor section of the society. I wonder what do the rest of Indians think about this? specially the students who are not ST and didn't make it.
Quite a few do kill themselves. :unsure:

Thanks to the Congress which has fuked up everything due to vote bank politics - reservations to SCs/STs/OBCs/Minorities/Extremely Backward Classes/Other Low Cast Classes/Very backward Classes/Going to be Backward Categories/Opting for Backward Classes etc etc. From admissions to reservation in government jobs to reservation in promotions.

Now our great Rahul baba has mooted reservations even in the private sector too!

Mera Bharat Mahaan!
flag28.gif

I think i should marry a ST. Then At least my kids will have a smoother life than i , a mere General candidate ever did:mad:8-)

I think i should marry a ST. Then At least my kids will have a smoother life than i , a mere General candidate ever did:mad:8-)
The Government ain't that stupid. :disagree:
If you marry a ST guy, only then will your kids be ST. Refer to the Nuremberg laws of 1935 for Classification of Aryans, something similar to that.

This country sucks big time I don't see any hope or bright future for it as its continuing on the path of self destruction relentlessly

Now our great Rahul baba has mooted reservations even in the private sector too

That would be final nail in the coffin for this fuckin country

Many will remain empty then. :ashamed:

ROFL :omghaha:

Quite a few do kill themselves. :unsure:

The ones that remain empty can be given to the general students. Although its interesting to see the percentile go down after 2011. It wasn't much different before that, something doesn't seem right:undecided:

The ones that remain empty can be given to the general students. Although its interesting to see the percentile go down after 2011. It wasn't much different before that, something doesn't seem right:undecided:
As far as i know if there are 10 seats reserved for SC's and only 2 students were able t cross cutoff and if you allot remaining 8 seats to general students then you will be hanged lol.
Reserved seats cannot be alloted to Genral category students.

Only a student can understand this :cry:

Your children will be counted in General category.
Did'nt know that. Now the poor things will have to work their *** off :cray: On top of everything private sector reservations:suicide:

Back
Top Bottom