What's new

Saudi football team fail to line up for minute's silence in honour of London terror attack victims

raptor22

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Saudi Arabia football team fail to line up for minute's silence in honour of London terror attack victims '

e.jpg

The Saudi Arabian football team were booed by Australian supporters after they failed to properly line up for a minute's silence in honour of the victims of the London Bridge terror attacks.

Saudi Arabia were preparing to play Australia in a World Cup qualifier at the Adelaide Oval when the stadium announcer called for a minute's silence to begin.
The Australia team linked arms in a line on the centre circle while the Saudi Arabia team stood in random formation as the silence began.

According to Adam Peacock, who works as a presenter for Fox Sports in Australia, the Asian Football Confederation approved the minute’s silence against the wishes of Saudi Arabia.

The Football Federation of Australia were then unable to persuade Saudi Arabian officials to agree to participate in the tribute.

A number of Saudi Arabian players stood still with their arms behind their back while others appeared to continue their warm up.

Reports suggest that the visitors' substitutes bench also failed to stand to observe the tribute.

The incident sparked outrage on social media with one user tweeting: "I hope Fifa call out Saudi Arabia on the clear lack of respect shown prior to kick-off. Not participating in the minute's silence is disgusting."

Eight people were killed when three men attacked pedestrians with knives on London Bridge and in roads around Borough Market.

The Socceroos beat Saudi Arabia 3-2 to keep touch with Japan at the top of their World Cup qualifying group.

May be they don't understand English. And fail to understand the announcement . But team coach always inform players about ground protocols .

I wouldn't line up either.
There's a huge double standard in this world as to whose life matters and whose don't
Clearly a certain group in this planet are valued more than others. Why bother remembering the few when such brutalities have occurred to many more?

May be they don't understand English. And fail to understand the announcement . But team coach always inform players about ground protocols .

"...The Football Federation of Australia were then unable to persuade Saudi Arabian officials to agree to participate in the tribute. .."​

I wouldn't line up either.
There's a huge double standard in this world as to whose life matters and whose don't
Clearly a certain group in this planet are valued more than others. Why bother remembering the few when such brutalities have occurred to many more?
Saudis stood silent for a minute for late King Abdoallh , don't you think a few civilians killed in a terrorist attack deserve the same tribute?
photo_2017-06-08_23-05-31.jpg

150 afghans died in a single blast at the same time as the London attack....
7 people sadly died in London and silence in Austrailia...............so muslims lives are worth less than europen?

I would have stood silent but what a double standard

7 people sadly died in London and silence in Austrailia...............so muslims lives are worth less than europen?

Both terrorist attacks were carried our by ISIS, which ideology ISIS have and where it originated from?
Numbers doesn't matter , be in England or Afghanistan ... Muslim or other faiths respecting victims of a terrorist attack is a virtue ..

Australia is part of the British Commonwealth and is still under the British crown. I won't even mention the great ties they have with Great Britain and the reasons for that so of course they will mourn the victims of terror from London, the capital of their brother country.

When you are a guest you should respect your hosts especially when we are talking about a minute of silence whatever the reason for it is...

I completely follow the reasoning of Deliorman. I mean what did you guys expect from Australia who just lost the lives of their own citizens?

No one demandes that muslim countries have to remember the losses of westerners over their own people, but when you're visiting a country, is it so much to ask to show some respect? If a western football team would be visiting a mouring muslim country, I'm sure that they would show the uttermost respect (they would be absolutely torn apart back home by the media if they didn't).

Now I do understand that the Saudi players never had ill intentions and probably were ill informed, but the Saudi entourage is to blame for not informing their own players sufficiently, or maybe Australia itself was too unclear, who knows.

Whenever there's a terror attack in a muslim country (or any other country), people where I live are also mourning the losses, just not as much for the simple reason that it didn't happen close to them. The same goes for any other country; the closer you live and the more culture you share with a country where a terror attack just happened, it wil leave a bigger mark on you and that's completly normal.

I find it saddening that some people say that they wouldn't show respect because they percieve a certain group beign valued more than another one. I certainly view everyone as equals and I would try to show as much respect as I can.

And the point is? Has a Muslim country played a football match with a western one and held a moment of silence for muslim victims which was disrespected by the former? Never.....stop finding excuses for their uncivilised behaviour

Back
Top Bottom